Not open for further replies.

archived

Prospect
LEGEND
Moola
5 Most Overrated Teams
This guy at GlorifyThePast has something to talk about...:yell2:
The link above is his post.
I will repost the text, but he certainly has something to say...

chilli311 said:
Forget these five
It's not too early to discount some overhyped teams

With my fellow scribes announcing their Super Bowl picks earlier and earlier, I'm taking a different tack: I'll tell you which five teams won't be there. I'm not talking about the easy picks, either. There won't be any 49ers, Packers, Texans or Raiders on this list. Instead, I'm going after those teams that have enough talent to possibly grace NFL-preview magazine covers but also have enough problems to leave their fans disappointed.

If I'm wrong about this, you can shoot me an angry e-mail. Until then, I've got a pretty bad feeling about these five teams.

1. Miami: The Dolphins will be a popular pick to win the AFC East for those who only look at how Miami finished 2005. Yes, coach Nick Saban did lead his team to six straight wins after a 3-7 start. But that run also included five victories against teams that didn't make the playoffs -- Oakland, Buffalo, San Diego, the New York Jets and Tennessee -- and a sixth win against a New England team resting its starters for the playoffs. The main question here is whether quarterback Daunte Culpepper can regain his Pro Bowl form. If he can't, then these Dolphins remind me of last season's Buffalo Bills, a team that rode into the year with a wave of high expectations and flopped under the pressure.

2. Philadelphia: If I'm an Eagles fan, I have some major concerns about this offense. It's starting to look a lot like it did back in the days before Terrell Owens blew into town. There isn't a receiver who really scares a defense. The running game isn't intimidating either, not when Brian Westbrook will be splitting carries with Ryan Moats and the oft-injured Correll Buckhalter. Even with a healthy Donovan McNabb back at quarterback, there are plenty of reasons to think that the best days of this perennial NFC contender have passed. One look at the competition in the NFC East -- where Washington, Dallas and the New York Giants have improved -- should cement that opinion.

3. Kansas City: This team could fall apart at any moment. First, they're old: A handful of key offensive starters are in their mid-30s, including quarterback Trent Green, Pro Bowl linemen Willie Roaf and Will Shields and leading receiver Eddie Kennison. They're also playing with most of the same defensive personnel that finished 25th overall last season. Unless the Chiefs do the logical thing and sign free-agent cornerback Ty Law, there's no reason to think this season will end any differently than the last.

4. San Diego: Another AFC West team that hasn't done much to improve this offseason. I won't believe that Philip Rivers is a better quarterback than Drew Brees until I see him play in a Pro Bowl. I also can't understand how a team so desperate for a reliable receiver to take some pressure off Keenan McCardell pulls off such a weak trade. The Chargers ended up with Rashaun Woods, a first-round bust with the 49ers who couldn't find a role on that offensively challenged team. Tight end Antonio Gates is a great player, but he's not going to keep the passing game from being San Diego's downfall.

5. Minnesota: As much as I like new head coach Brad Childress, I have to question his personnel on offense. He needs Chester Taylor -- or someone else -- to prove the running game will be reliable. He needs Troy Williamson, last year's first-round pick, to mature into a legitimate big-play threat at receiver, especially now that Nate Burleson has moved on to Seattle. He also needs quarterback Brad Johnson, who turns 38 this season, to prove that he's still effective. Those are a lot of needs for a team that finished with a flourish in 2005 (the Vikings won seven of their final nine). It's unlikely that it'll find answers to all of them.

link

I disagree with all these teams. I understand his reasoning, but not calling them overhyped. I don't think any of them are overhyped except maybe KC and Philly. I've only heard of Miami being a SB team by two sources, both in the last week, so I wouldn't conisder that OVERhyping. As for Minnesota, I haven't heard ANYTHING positive about them in almost a year now!

KC, I think Green and Gonzo are getting old and Edwards can do all he wants to make them great, but it won't happen until they get some more youth in there. LJ will be good, but once they figure out how to shut him down, Green's gonna have to be the number one guy again.

Miami has a great team together and I think they can go far this year. SB? Maybe... We'll have to see, but they will definitely be contenders.

Philly is gonna look just like they did last year. Great D, but shaky O.

SD, as I've said before, once Rivers finds his groove, which should be right around the beginning of October, watch out. SB? I hope so, but I don't know... Playoffs? Definitely.
theshark8wt4yv.jpg

If you go to the GlorifyThePast site and view some of the names in the text, they throw up a stat box when you put the pointer on them. That is really cool. Just thought I'd comment on that.

Miami has not been overhyped IMO. If seen pieces on espn that suggest they are not making any leap this year. :hmm: 4. San Diego: ??? dude is the most put together Raiders fan I've seen to date. I expect San Diego to blow the doors off the Titans.

I think overating Miami is stupid but there you go. IMO, I believe that they will push New England for the AFC East as long as they play like they did at the end of last season.

SD is overrated. Unless LT has a monster year, and I mean monster year, they are 8-8, 9-7 at best, 6-10 at worst. makes me laugh how people figure philip rivers won't miss a beat. they didn't even make the playoffs last year, and they had drew brees, now they think this guy will pick up and run the offense like a champ? please...

Remember when they ended the Colts undefeated streak last year, there defense was on sync in that game, don't count em out unless Rivers blows it early on.

What?!?!?

Anyone who writes that Minnesota is overhyped is trying to sell something!

Several of these teams are similar...Miami will go nowhere unless they have a good QB. If I recall correctly, Culpepper fell apart after Moss left. And Randy ain't in Miami! Can Culpepper do it there without Moss? That is the question. Til then, they are wild card hopefuls. I have not seen anyone say they're going anywhere.

Philly can be a strong team but the question is...have they finally figured out how to combat their weaknesses? A glance at their roster would say no. Plus, if Eli continues to improve, the Giants have permanently overtaken them. And Dallas has more talent now if TO doesn't blow up Big D and give the Big Tuna a heart attack! Philly is overhyped? By Whom?

KC isn't overhyped...they're just the same team they alway seem to be...great offense and not enough D. And with Al Saunders moving on, I'd expect them to drop a notch or stay the same...which means they aren't really going anywhere.

Minnesota no longer has Moss, Culpepper or a defined running game. Unless someone really surprises...I don't see them going anywhere though they could since Chicago is far from a powerhouse and GB is about to fall off the cliff.

SD is overhyped? Except for the question mark that is Phillip Rivers, they have a Hall of Fame caliber RB and TE and Merriman is an awesome defensive player. If Rivers can play well, these guys should easily make the playoff by either winning the division or a wild card. They laid a couple of eggs last year and lost their first game due to no Antonio Gates and bad coaching (needing as TD in the final minute and no good WR's and no Gates...they didn't even call a play for LT in FOUR PLAYS!). But they certainly have the talent to not only go to the playoffs, but potentially win the SuperBowl (or at least give Pitt, NE, and the Colts a run for their money). But history says it'll be a learning year for Rivers so their success will depend on how well they design offensive gameplans and put the vast majority of the load on LT. I think they'll make the playoffs, but Rivers will prevent them from going far. They do have the talent though.

At best, you could say SD is overhyped because they could miss the playoffs again because of Rivers, but that's about it.

Gut

SEC 330 BIPOLAR said:
5 Most Overrated Teams
This guy at GlorifyThePast has something to talk about...:yell2:
The link above is his post.
I will repost the text, but he certainly has something to say...

If you go to the GlorifyThePast site and view some of the names in the text, they throw up a stat box when you put the pointer on them. That is really cool. Just thought I'd comment on that.

Miami has not been overhyped IMO. If seen pieces on espn that suggest they are not making any leap this year. :hmm: 4. San Diego: ??? dude is the most put together Raiders fan I've seen to date. I expect San Diego to blow the doors off the Titans.

Gut said:
Anyone who writes that Minnesota is overhyped is trying to sell something!
In this case, he's selling Sports Illustrated
Gut said:
Several of these teams are similar...Miami will go nowhere unless they have a good QB. If I recall correctly, Culpepper fell apart after Moss left. And Randy ain't in Miami! Can Culpepper do it there without Moss? That is the question. Til then, they are wild card hopefuls. I have not seen anyone say they're going anywhere.
Culpepper is trying to come back from an injury is he not? Makes me so happy that Miami falls early on our schedule.
Gut said:
Philly can be a strong team but the question is...have they finally figured out how to combat their weaknesses? A glance at their roster would say no. Plus, if Eli continues to improve, the Giants have permanently overtaken them. And Dallas has more talent now if TO doesn't blow up Big D and give the Big Tuna a heart attack! Philly is overhyped? By Whom?
Maybe you should ask Jeffri Chadiha. Drop an email question into the message box on page 2.:ha:

Gut said:
SD is overhyped? Except for the question mark that is Phillip Rivers, they have a Hall of Fame caliber RB and TE and Merriman is an awesome defensive player. If Rivers can play well, these guys should easily make the playoff by either winning the division or a wild card. They laid a couple of eggs last year and lost their first game due to no Antonio Gates and bad coaching (needing as TD in the final minute and no good WR's and no Gates...they didn't even call a play for LT in FOUR PLAYS!). But they certainly have the talent to not only go to the playoffs, but potentially win the SuperBowl (or at least give Pitt, NE, and the Colts a run for their money). But history says it'll be a learning year for Rivers so their success will depend on how well they design offensive gameplans and put the vast majority of the load on LT. I think they'll make the playoffs, but Rivers will prevent them from going far. They do have the talent though.

At best, you could say SD is overhyped because they could miss the playoffs again because of Rivers, but that's about it.

Gut

Go back and ready my post, GUT, and see the reason I said they're overhyped. I didn't say overrated, I said overhyped. Overrated means they say you're agood but you're not. Overhyped means they say you're a lock for the playoffs, which is what I disagree about. They'll have to battle. Read my comment

For my money's worth, and don't laugh, I think Arizona is overhyped. When they got Edge, people automatically said playoff possibility. Forget it. With that defense, they'll be lucky to win 7 games...

Sledge said:
For my money's worth, and don't laugh, I think Arizona is overhyped. When they got Edge, people automatically said playoff possibility. Forget it. With that defense, they'll be lucky to win 7 games...

Don't forget that horrible O-line Edge is running behind. No one can run if there aren't any holes. (See Tennessee Titans, 2005)

Hoffa was giving the Cardinals love in that "Dallas will win the NFC" thread or whatever it was called... that poll... Early last season Soxcat was talking that Cardinals were going to either win the west or wildcard... (or something along those lines... I don't remember exactly)
yeah boy!
250px-FlavaFlav.jpg

The Cardinals are a sexy-hype pick...
It's kind of like calling for the Lions to rise up...

I think everyone saw Cinci coming.

What's the deal with Atlanta's offense anyways?
Seems like all I ever see mentioned on other boards about Atlanta is their defense. Atlanta should be able to win the south... but Carolina is a heavy favorite...

Can you be overhyped and still be real dang good?

On goTitans.com Carolina is a clear favorite to win the NFC.

I just think it could be about time for the Cardinals. I'm hopeing so. I used to be a PHOENIX Cardinal season ticket holder, back before they changed the name (to Arizona) so that the whole state could be embarrassed along with Phoenix.

Last time I felt like this, was when they announced Buddy Ryan was the new head coach of the AZ Cards. We were ready for some BUDDY BALL!! He PO'ed the offense and was fired after the second year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back