Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Puck said:
i think we've concluded that more picks isn't what we need
But yet people are wanting to recoup the pick that we lost in the Travis Henry trade.
More picks could fill the holes quicker and get us back in contention, that said, I still want Vince Young if possible

you can have another 3rd rounder

but I don't think this is the year to pull in a dozen picks

what we need is for Reese to go and sign us some FA's like KVB

I'm all for quality over quanity. Especially when you get past the 4th round you really have almost as much chance of finding a gem, a guy who can start down the road in UDFA. What really comes into play is how Reese and the FO view this draft particularly the level of talent at those postions of need. This draft is supposed to be strong at LB which is a need. Grabbing a few extra picks to tap into that talent pool might not be a bad idea. The other issue is the pool of FAs at those postions and what we can afford. If there are a few guys we think we could go get in FA that might reduce the desire to trade for more picks. Another issue might be speculation of the talent level next year at certain postions.

One guy that could be a wild card in deciding to trade down is Lendale White and possibly D. Williams. Either of those guys could be franchise backs and because of the difficulty of finding a RB in FA that would be priced where we could afford them we could be targeting a RB if a trade could be worked out where we land one of them and still have a shot at Cutler. IMO a dream draft would be to get White and Cutler and still be able to grab the LBs and Ss we need in the other rounds.

Puck said:
you can have another 3rd rounder

but I don't think this is the year to pull in a dozen picks

what we need is for Reese to go and sign us some FA's like KVB
We wont have a dozen picks. Instead of having a 3rd, we have 2 first rounders. We can then trade Volek after the draft for a pick in next years draft(assuming we draft a QB)

In all fairness Tim Couch didn't get the opportunity he deserved and failed because of that cleveland browns coaching staff - he wasn't a detrimental force in the lockerroom like ryan leaf for instance.

bigtitan53279 said:
calvin johnson is larry fitzgerald.
And then some. If he was in this year's draft I'd happily take him at #3. Every time I was in the US this year I reckon I saw a Georgia Tech game or highlights (Don't know why as I was nowhere near Georgia)
and he was amazing.

Ok, ok...

It's vince young at #3. He simply looks too good in that titan #10. If reese sees puck's sig there will be no doubt he will go with vince.

Still i like omar jacobs a lot. The possibility of getting him in the second rd is really exciting but there are too many teams needing a QB and he might go earlier. Don't be surprised if jacobs goes ahead of cutler in the draft.

trade down and take Cutler..it is that simple

I still don't think that Young is the QB for the Titans.

He may be exciting at first then when he gets popped/hurt a few times the running will stop. Can the Titans depend on his arm to win games..I think not

Its starting to look like Cutler could last until the 16th pick by Miami. None of the teams between the Titans and the 16th pick have a great need at QB unless the Jets decide to go that route. With Martz in Detroit there is a good chance the Lions try Harrington for a little while longer. The Ravens may be staying with Boller as well. The Cardinals just signed Warner to an extension. No way Cutler gets past Miami. The problem is because none of those teams between us and Miami are all that interested in a QB we may not have anyone willing to trade down to get Young or Leinart.

I doubt that Denny Green considers Kurt Warner the future of his franchise. The Vikings should also be considering snagging a QB with Culpepper's uncertainty and Brad Johnson's age. Buffalo is probably considering Cutler as well, although I'm betting they will go after a FA with experience instead.

After it's all said and done, I would bet that he goes to Arizona or Miami unless there's a trade made.

u cant pass up on vince young but if he gets taken u trade down or pick hawk maybe dabrickshaw ferguson maybe even lendale white

Soxcat...

This could be BS but on cold pizza they were talking about a culpepper deal to the ravens for boller and a 2nd rd pick. Would'nt that be interesting?

If what you say is true that the lions are going to stick with harrington and the ravens with boller it only proves even more how drafting the wrong QB can hamstring your operation for a long time. What will happen to those teams if their QB doesn't cut it? Another losing season and another search for the next franchise QB in 2007? A player who might not be ready to star until 2009? Boller was part of the 2003 draft that also had leftwich and palmer so we can see the boom-bust element there. Harrington was drafted third in 2002 after carr was picked first. There was one other 1st rd QB. The legendary patrick ramsey was the last pick in that rd. Ouch.

VY is a much better bet than Harrington IMO. So is Leinart. With VY there is an element of risk but his potential is off the charts. VY could redefine the QB position and we might not get a shot at a guy like him in the next 100 years. IMO he is more ready to play than McNair was as a rookie simply because he played at a major college, has gone to major bowl games and has won the big one. Also, VY doesn't give any indication he is anything like Ryan Leaf as far as his character. The only question I have for VY is can he be similar to McNair in his career or even much better. If VY had not put up the best QB rating in college this year I would still have some questions about his throwing but he has a strong accurate arm and the minor adjustments needed to improve can be coached.
Imagine a guy who can run like Bobby Douglas, pass as well as McNair or better, who has leadership qualities off the chart and character to match.
Is there a chance drafting VY could "hamstring your operation for a long time". Sure there is but I doubt it. I would be all for trading down to get more picks if we could be assured we would get Cutler but at this point the best bet is to stay pat, draft the heir to McNair and if possible try to manipulate some trades later in the draft.

Is second best good enough?

What bothers me about this draft is this notion of settling for the 2nd best QB and the 3rd best player. As starkiller said if young grades out as the 2nd best QB and 3rd best player we have to take him. Problem is that has not worked well.

List #1.... Not good enough to be taken first.
QBs taken with the 2nd third or 4th picks 1982-2004
This list will turn your stomach!
82-Art Schlichter
86-jim everett
93-rick mirer
94 heath shuler
95-steve mcnair
98-ryan leaf
99-donovan mcnabb
99-Akili smith
02-joey harrington
04-phillip rivers

List #2 the 2nd best QB
2nd QB taken in a draft but taken in first 10 picks.
82-jim mcmahon
83-todd blackledge
87-kelly stouffer
90-andre ware
93-rich mirer
94-trent dilfer
95-kerry collins
98-ryan leaf
99-mcnabb
02-harrington
03-leftwich
04-phillip rivers

On each list there are only 2-3 QBs i would want leading my team. Mcnair and mcnabb from the first and mcnabb and leftwich from the 2nd. Look at those lists folks. We are talking about an 80% bust rate!

It's easy to draft an elway, palmer, manning or aikman with the first pick but we don't have that luxury. Most QBs taken in this situation(80%) have been worthless crap!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back