archived

Prospect
LEGEND
Moola
Back to Baptist Sports Park (finally).

Autograph Schedule
Jason Anderson, Gregg Guenther, Pacman Jones, David Thornton, Chris Hope

Training Camp Report - 1 of 3

Along with today marking the return of Titans training camp to Baptist Sports Park, it was the annual "goTitans.com Day" where Titanium and I get to go behind the scenes and see the action up close and personal.

Visit the goPhoto "2006 Training Camp" section later for all to today's photos. I think you'll enjoy what you see.

Special teams came out on the field to a refreshing shower which turned into a downpour moving all players and coaches back inside while fans scrambled for shelter. In typical Tennessee August weather fashion, the rain stopped, the sun emerged and it was 95 degrees and blazing hot 15 minutes later.

It did give me an opportunity to listen in on an interview of Titans General Manager Floyd Reese. To quickly recap, Reese felt good about the Titan first team production Saturday night. He particularly felt that special teams did well. He mentioned that Vince Young did in the game what they have seen in training camp in that he can do special things like rollout to his left and toss the perfect pass downfield Roydell Williams dropped then have some problems with others such as his late pass to Drew Bennett. He is expecting Young, and the other guys, to show improvement in Denver. He says the amount of improvement from the first preseason game to the second is extremely important for the rookies.

Reese mentioned that the Pacman penalty wouldn't have been called last season and that it was a by product of the new taunting rule.

He felt the early run game was effective and that they were not trying to fool anyone the first series. He said he liked the blocking despite the Saints knowing what was coming.

He mentioned LenDale White will get work in Denver.

Training Camp Report - 2 of 3

The players came out in "shells and shorts" and started out finishing up the special teams work started before the downpour.

Since I didn't make it up to Clarksville, this was my first view of many of the players. Both Pacman Jones and Reynaldo Hill look thicker. The offensive lineman drafted last season, Michael Roos, David Stewart and Daniel Loper all looked much thicker. Albert Haynesworth looked so much lighter, I didn't recognize him at a distance. As many have mentioned, Chris Brown is bigger and Travis Henry is leaner.

LenDale White and Tyrone Calico were back to practice as was Bo Scaife though all he did was stretch and toss with Billy Volek. Brandon Jones had a black support stocking of sorts that covered his entire right leg. Randy Starks was not on the field (more later).

Benji Olson, Travis LaBoy and Haynesworth didn't dress (more on that later). LaBoy worked on the stationary bike early in practice. Young looked to be 100% and showed no sign of any ankle problem.

Kevin Mawae, Kyle Vanden Bosch and Drew Bennett all seem to set the pace in warmups as the punt coverage unit wrapped up their drills on another field. Rich Gardner did a nice job downing a Craig Hentrich punt on the one. Woolfolk also worked as a gunner.

The players moved to position drills and I watched the WRs. Bobby Wade is spooky fast moving through his routes. I thought B. Jones didn't look very sharp making cuts though appeared to do better after a few reps. Calico was the fifth WR after David Givens, Bennett, Williams and Roby.

Some highlights of the seven-on-seven drills included a nice reception for Bennett moving across the middle with Pacman trailing him. B. Jones hauled in a Volek pass in the endzone.

In 11-on-11, Brown showed his speed by bouncing one outside. B. Jones made a nice leaping catch in the middle of coverage which shows he's not timid in the least.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, Young had a mixed afternoon. He looked lost on his first two opportunities and nearly threw an INT both times. On his third rep, he made a nice sideline pass.

Lamont Thompson had a pick on Volek. Volek later had another short ball picked off by Antwan Harris. I believe Vincent Fuller got his hand in to break up another pass.

My reviews of White are also mixed. He looked timid on his first couple of carries then hit one up the middle hard on a couple of later attempts. He appeared to approve as the practice wore on.

The Titans followed this session with field goal drills. Rob Bironas nailed 4-of-5 from around 4. He actually did worse when he moved in. He had a few players chanting "shaaaaaaaank" after one hook.

The Titans moved to do some Red Zone. Roos had a false start. Volek made a pretty pass to Brown on a roll out. Young was picked by Andre Woolfolk but later redeemed himself with a nice ball in the corner of the end zone to Wade. White also had a nice catch in the end zone.

The session completed with the team running laps side-to-side on the field. Fisher would call out combination of numbers or positions and those players would have to run. He even called out the trainers to do a lap. He made the DBs run a couple of extra and jokingly mentioned an "Unsportsmanlike Penalty" as the reason in reference to Pacman.

Training Camp Report - 3 of 3

After practice, I hung around for the Fisher report. The first question had to do with Starks. Fisher simply said that Starks will be joining the team tomorrow morning and that there was a "legal process" involved. When an attempt was made to follow up, Fisher sternly said that Starks will be joining the team in the morning in such a way that none of the reporters were going to follow up with another Starks question. He did mention Starks will speak to the media tomorrow afternoon.

Fisher mentioned missed opportunities in Saturday night's loss to the Saints. He said the team is working to eliminate mistakes.

It was mentioned that Woolfolk made an INT in today's practice and Fisher said Andre was working hard. But he also immediately pointed out Woolfolk was one of those who missed an opportunity in the Saints game.

Fisher said he is looking for players to make moves between the first and second preseason games and that the team is committed to play the undrafted guys in Denver.

Fisher mentioned Young's ankle wasn't even taped today.

The Titans will scheme a little more for the Denver game. They'll package something for the first couple of drives.

He said Brandon Jones is coming along well. No timeframe was mentioned as to whether or not he'll play Saturday. I suspect no.

Haynesworth had an MRI on his lower back today which was negative. I was surprised no one followed up with more on that. The DTs are Clauss and Mahelona now and both got a ton of work today.

Fisher said he did talk to Denver Coach Mike Shanahan about Jay Cutler before he was drafted. He stands by his belief that Young, Cutler and Matt Leinart will all be successful in the league. He was very complimentary of Culter's arm and instincts.

He denied Jacob Bell has wrapped up the right tackle position. He said Stewart also did well in the game.

Fisher mentioned the offensive line is communicating well and he is pleased how they are coming together.

Said White has excellent instincts as a runner and good hands.

Fisher mentioned he had spoken to Saints Coach Sean Payton about the T-Rac incident but would not go into any details about the conversation.

Nice work on the recap Jeff!

I posted about 20 photos from today's practice. I will post the rest tomorrow. Nothing like having a down pour, then the sun coming out to give us that "steam" effect :flame:

I enjoy watching the stuff going on around the practice as much as what is happening on the field. The interaction between players, coaches and players, listening to media discussions.

I always leave with a healthy respect for what the beat writers do every day.

I have been to one practice since the Titans have been here and that was at TSU. I have never wanted to go back. I am sure it has to do with where they were at since it sucked.

Every fan should go to a training camp practice and watch the size, strength and speed of these guys.

I don't see how someone doesn't get hurt every play.

Ewker said:
I have been to one practice since the Titans have been here and that was at TSU. I have never wanted to go back. I am sure it has to do with where they were at since it sucked.

So much has changed since the TSU days. It's night and day in comparison. You should really try to attend one practice at BSP, it's a great way to get a good look at the team up close and personal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back