Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Currently reading Nightfall, an Asimov & Silverberg book.

pretty good. Up next is the "NEW" Foundation Trilogy by Brin, Bear and Binford. Really looking forward to these books.

Halfway through the Da Vinci Code I loved it - by the end it had totally lost me. Didnt like it at all.

Anyone who likes crime stories should read Harlan Coben. He is fantastic and his books always have a humorous twist as well.

Life of Pi by Yann Martel was the last book I read. Pretty good.

I've currently got a few books on the go. A couple of rereads; The Virtue of Selfishness by Ayn Rand and London Fields by Martin Amis. Both rereads were spurred on by arguments about the books in question. I'd read both books so long ago I needed to refresh my brain. Rands' "Virtue..." is a great read, it's basically a series of essays by Rand and Nathaniel Brand outlining the philosophy of objectivism. "London Fields" is an amazing, dark, twisted novel by my favourite author Amis (other great books by Martin Amis include Times Arrow, Money, Einstein’s Monsters, The Moronic Inferno...).

I received a copy of Evil Dead star Bruce Campbell's book If Chins Could Kill: Confessions of A B Movie Actor for Christmas. I'm only about seventy pages in but so far it's excellent.

Currently reading the Da Vinci Code. I am reading the illustrated version and it really adds alot with all the references to objects and locations in Europe that I would never have known about. This really helps since I am not the real religious type and unfamiliar with many symbols, religions, etc... that are referenced.

As for the Clancy fans, I am a Clancy fan myself. One of my favorites was Without Remorse. If memory serves me correctly, it was the first (in terms of story timeline rather than actual book release) for John Clark. Clark putting the guy in the pressure champer as punishment was great!

As a young boy, I always like the Gary Pulson books, especially Hatchet.

Gunny said:
Anyone read the Da Vinci Code? What did you think of it?

I just finished it. The first part was a little frustraiting, just because characters are not going to be realistically having these long drawn out conversations while running down a hallway or staircase... once it got past that, it was pretty good. Dan Brown isnt the best writer ever, but it was entertaining.

I got two new music bios, Guided by Voices and Elvis (Last Train To Memphis), that are next on my list.

Smashmouth by Elvin Bethea (with Mark Adams) is OK if you're an old-time Oilers fan, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone else. Unfortunately, it's not well written and Bethea doesn't go into much detail about anything, especially the Oilers. It would be nice if the book was 100 pages (of details) longer. Still, a decent read for those who remember his playing days and were fans in that era.

Bethea was on 104.5 with John McClain a few months ago and told the story of how he invested his signing bonus one year to get into the cattle business on Bud Adams' ranch. He never saw any money though, because the cattle ate all his profits, LOL. As I recall, that story is in the book too.

Gunny said:
most books are better then there movie counterparts.
I think that, at best, you could say that there are rare exceptions to this rule. Virtually all books are better than their movie counterparts (unless it's a book that was based on a movie).

The Green Mile has been about the only movie i have seen that has followed the book and included most of the book. A very good read.

Carpy said:
Field of Dreams was a much better movie than the book - "Shoeless Joe" on which it was based.

Is it true to the book though?

The Bourne Identity is probably better as a movie then a book but the The Bourne Identity and Supremacy are nothing like the books.

reading the controversial "The Bell Curve" - talks about the increasing stratification of society based on cognitive ability due to transformation to information society.

Gunny I think it means that we're seeing more classes of people based on how they can cope with the evolving information age. Er something like that :lol:

And if you end up reading the Potter books, you'll find lots of stuff different than the movies (assuming you've seen them).

Anyone read the "Wheel of Time" series? A friend gave me the 1st book a few years ago, The Eye of the World. It's a long book, and I think it's a very long series (10-15 books?). I guess it's LOTR type fantasy, and he said it was his favorite of that genre.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back