Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.

archived

Prospect
LEGEND
Moola
SUMMARY: Two third-year defensive linemen are among those many feel are at risk to keeping their spots on the Titans roster. DT Jared Clauss will have fifth-round pick Jesse Mahelona on his heels. Clauss was a seventh-round selection out of Iowa in 2004 known first and foremost for his smarts, Clauss played in 15 games last season, starting one and finishing with 30 tackles and half a sack. DE Bo Schobel doesn't have a draft pick to worry about but the fourth-rounder from TCU missed much of his rookie year because of a broken foot. Though it was said he was the most ready coming out of college, Schobel hasn't lived up to expectations and the Titans may look to upgrade the slot at the back of the defensive end rotation through the waiver wire.

What do you think about this article? Post your comments below.

This is a great problem to have if our starters and front line backups play as they should. With Albert hopefully having a dominating season and Van continuing the level of his play Starks, Odom and LaBoy could an excellent year making our DL one of the best in the league. LB could be our strength and if Pac and Hill improve we could be much better on defense this year. Hopefully everyone stays healthy and the young guys show major improvement.

fltitan said:
This is a great problem to have if our starters and front line backups play as they should. With Albert hopefully having a dominating season and Van continuing the level of his play Starks, Odom and LaBoy could an excellent year making our DL one of the best in the league. LB could be our strength and if Pac and Hill improve we could be much better on defense this year. Hopefully everyone stays healthy and the young guys show major improvement.

I think the fact that Hill will have Hope covering his arse this year will do wonders for him. I think Pac will bounce back and shine this year... No more pressure of being the 1st round pick coming in to change the D...

TitanJeff said:
I think it'll take showing a lot in camp for either to make the final roster.

Actually the scenarios for Clauss and Schobel are like night and day. Clauss is almost certain to be cut if Mahelona shows anything (not to mention a UDFA might even push him). Schobel on the other hand is almost certain to make the roster unless we bring in a vet DE and in that situation what Schobel does in camp will not matter anyway, he will be cut unless one of the other DEs gets seriously hurt.

Soxcat said:
Actually the scenarios for Clauss and Schobel are like night and day.
I think they'll look to upgrade him if he isn't showing major improvement. Reese will pull in someone off the waiver wire.

I feel pretty good about the defense, with some good additions and extra depth. Even last year, they might have been better if the offence could have kept the ball a little more, so they wouldn't have had to be on the field all the time.

I think it'll be good bye Santa Clauss. I really like getting Mahelona, especialy where we did. I think there's potential for Clauss to play LDE though....maybe even give Bo the boot :whoop:

Ok, highly unlikely, but I thought Clauss looked kinda good there when he got the shot his 1st year. He's got that kind of size, and he's pretty quick. Kind of a tweener I think.

Mahelona is a force! Also a hard worker. I see him making the roster np. He may relieve Al or Starks during the course of long opponent drives during games.

Gunny said:
Wasn't Mahelona projected as a 1st round pick?

Some said 1st rounder, but I didn't think so after this year. I thought 3rd round, maybe 2nd. Maybe I was going too much by his junior year though. He did get hurt this year, and I read he was hurt while he tried to work out at the UT pro day.

He should be the #4 easily, but I won't be suprised if he sees more playing time than Long fairly soon.

He was an All-American his Junior year, but this year he had a few nagging injuries and he was constantly double-teamed. At the very least, he should be a solid #2 DT in a year or two.

BAMARON said:
I feel pretty good about the defense, with some good additions and extra depth. Even last year, they might have been better if the offence could have kept the ball a little more, so they wouldn't have had to be on the field all the time.

Jimbo don't do Physical D. I see no reason to be optimistic about the D as long as MbSGWB is DC - but I will gladly jump on a bandwagon that is heading towards a runstuffing, Gayton smacking aggressive D.

GoT said:
Jimbo don't do Physical D. I see no reason to be optimistic about the D as long as MbSGWB is DC - but I will gladly jump on a bandwagon that is heading towards a runstuffing, Gayton smacking aggressive D.

WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT? I need a translator

translation

GoT said:
Swartzie wears a poodle skirt on Sundays. It doesn't look goo as long as Jim :banned::cuss::yell: is Defensive Coordinator, but if he is going to change up the scheme by plugging gaps and make it worth a hill of beans by hitting Manning with the blitz packages I'll drink the kool-aid!:yell2:

SEC 330 BIPOLAR said:
Swartzie wears a poodle skirt on Sundays. It doesn't look goo as long as Jim :banned::cuss::yell: is Defensive Coordinator, but if he is going to change up the scheme by plugging gaps and make it worth a hill of beans by hitting Manning with the blitz packages I'll drink the kool-aid!:yell2:

Thanks...That helped ...I still think our defense has alot of upside.

And yeah...Pittsburg (did I spell that right?) SUCKS

SO DOES BALTIMORE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back