Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.

archived

Prospect
LEGEND
Moola
SUMMARY: Titans Coach Jeff Fisher said that the injury to QB Vince Young Saturday night was not serious. "Vince will be fine," Fisher said. "I expect him to be able to practice tomorrow afternoon. A little sore, but just a mild ankle sprain. It really settled down on the sideline. As I mentioned last night, we had intended on that being his last drive and we were going to put Cody [Hodges] in at the point. So, he was not removed from the game because of the ankle injury." Fisher went on to say a number of players will return this week from their injuries. "Bo Scaife should be back, Gregg Guenther should be back, Brandon Jones is up for another good week," said Fisher. "We should be healing up and be able to have more players on the field next week."

What do you think about this article? Post your comments below.

goTitans.com said:
SUMMARY: Titans Coach Jeff Fisher said that the injury to QB Vince Young Saturday night was not serious. "Vince will be fine," Fisher said. "I expect him to be able to practice tomorrow afternoon. A little sore, but just a mild ankle sprain.

Whew!! :toast:

This may actually be a blessing in disquise, maybe he won't try to run as much now. I understand his running makes big plays but I still don't want to see the guy get hurt.

Snookus said:
This may actually be a blessing in disquise, maybe he won't try to run as much now. I understand his running makes big plays but I still don't want to see the guy get hurt.

None of us do.

Including Jeff Fisher and Floyd Reese.

I guess the good thing though is that he avoids big hits very well. In all of his college career I can't think of a time where he got popped real good. Or should I say Bomarized?
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aINl-YqljJU"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aINl-YqljJU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Hoffa said:
He wasn't running when he got hurt, he made an ill-advised over the shoulder pass at the time.
He was definitely on the move outside of the pocket, even if he hadn't passed the line of scrimmage and was still contemplating throwing it.

But he'd left his blockers, he'd probably held the ball longer than Chow/Fisher would want him to before just throwing it away and living for another play, and he didn't seem to sense the guy that was bearing down on him from behind.

It's going to be tough finding the balance with him in terms of how long is too long to hold the ball trying to make a play, because he's one of those guys who can improvise.

But if they don't find the balance, there are going to be a lot of those hold-your-breath moments, waiting for him to pick himself up off the turf.

Well yeah, he was running for his life, looking for someone to throw it to, and then just threw it up for grabs.

One thing that I noticed more than once, he didn't seem to drop back far enough and pass. Lucky a D lineman didn't bat it down or intercept.

Hoffa said:
Well yeah, he was running for his life, looking for someone to throw it to, and then just threw it up for grabs.

Yeah, that play was nothing but instinct on his part.

As he gets more comfortable in the offence I'm sure he'll stay in the pocket a little longer and look for second and/or third reads.

Looked like a rookie played like a rookie but showed he has picked things up pretty well and showed flashes of great things he can do. He needs more time and isn't ready for the NFL yet but we all knew that. I think we will see improvement each week and he will be a great QB in a year or 2.

Hoffa said:
One thing that I noticed more than once, he didn't seem to drop back far enough and pass.

that could be because he's still learning to count to 5 :closemout

seriously, one thing I repeatedly noticed is that he was threading into tight and sometimes double coverage

i guess it's that Chow system ... get it out quick

I think he's ready now. Vince Young surveyed the field, showed some pocket presence, and then took off. In a couple quarters he actually would have connected on one big play downfield too. Which is more than the Titans got with McNair. You can't ask for much more. I thought he played like a starter. I don't think he came out of the pocket early. He was calm in there. He made some reads and then took off. He had some nice crisp throws mixed in with some errant throws. No major mistakes. One boner, but tell that to Brett Favre and John Elway who made boners all through their careers. It's gonna happen. I thought he looked like a starter out there. I mean look at the running. He averaged more yards this weekend than he got in college. He's gonna be ok out there. He averaged 10 or so carries a game in college. He can take a hit. NFL players may be bigger, faster, and all that, who can deny that, but tackling is not that different from college to the pro if you can dodge like Young seems to be able to do. Better to be tackled down field than sitting in pocket waiting for some second rate wr's to get open. Looked real good to me. I liked what I saw.

Titans2008 said:
He made two horrendous decisions in the few drives that he was on the field for. He's not ready yet.

I guess you didn't watch any preseason football at all this weekend. Almost every QB that played more than one series made bad decisions. That doesn't mean he's not ready. This whole "He's not ready" theory is a bunch of crap. Eli, Peyton, Carr, Harrington, Smith, Bledsoe, Leftwich, Plummer, Weinke all started their rookie season. Plummer and Weinke weren't even first rounders. So don't give me that he's not ready crap. Vince could step in and play the position right now. Yes he'll make mistakes but that's what rookies do. He'll also be learning on the job. You guys can cry that "give him a year to learn" crap if you want. But the fact is he's gonna make those mistakes in his first season. Everybody knows practice is not the same as in game experience. One year on the bench is not gonna remove all of his mistakes due to inexperience. They'll just happen one year later.

ShoTym said:
I guess you didn't watch any preseason football at all this weekend. Almost every QB that played more than one series made bad decisions. That doesn't mean he's not ready. This whole "He's not ready" theory is a bunch of crap. Eli, Peyton, Carr, Harrington, Smith, Bledsoe, Leftwich, Plummer, Weinke all started their rookie season. Plummer and Weinke weren't even first rounders. So don't give me that he's not ready crap. Vince could step in and play the position right now. Yes he'll make mistakes but that's what rookies do. He'll also be learning on the job. You guys can cry that "give him a year to learn" crap if you want. But the fact is he's gonna make those mistakes in his first season. Everybody knows practice is not the same as in game experience. One year on the bench is not gonna remove all of his mistakes due to inexperience. They'll just happen one year later.
What riding the pine and playing 2nd team offense does is put you out on the field vs the first team defense. That will in fact help him learn about the position plus learning behind BV will be benificial. Sure he could step in and make tons of mistakes, and yes he will make mistakes after he starts (this year or next doesn't matter). Everyone makes "inexperienced" mistakes for a few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back