Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.

archived

Prospect
LEGEND
Moola
Gregg Williams certainly deserves a good bit of credit for the Titans’ defensive improvement through five weeks, as a team that finished 27th overall last year (24th against the run and 26th against the pass) has improved to 9th so far this year (14th against the run, 10th against the pass).

But what does the future hold for the Titans senior assistant/defense, who is only under contract for this year?

Asked if he’d like to return to head-coaching in the NFL at some point, Williams stepped neatly around the issue.

“I just love coaching, no matter what position,” Williams said Thursday. “I love being a special teams coordinator. I love being a defensive coordinator. I love being a position coach. All those things.

“So I really, in all honesty, I take no time to think about those things. I really don’t. I love being a mentor and leader of young men. I love that aspect of it, and this is a good group to be around. I get as much from them as they get from me.”

Williams said he’s been pleased for the most part with a defense that’s held three of five opponents under 20 points.

“Coaches are never happy until you shut everybody out, and until you win all games by a landslide,” Williams said. “But this team has responded very well, and (defensive coordinator Jerry Gray and head coach Mike Munchak) have done a great job of getting them to respond.

“I think the measure of any good coaching staff is really not calling or playing what you like to play, but what can these guys play? Jerry’s done a phenomenal job, as has Mike, of playing to the strength of our personnel.”

Share on Facebook

Posted In: Team News

Source: Titans Insider

Williams talked about being content even being a special teams coach, I think he sticks around as Defensive Assistant til Munchak is fired (possibly end of 2014) or Williams gets offered a bigger job somewhere.

I'm not a Gray basher at all. But if it comes down to him or Williams sticking around it's an obvious pick on who should stay.

I hear you but I thinks its BS from the coaches.

Sure is lies from the coaches anyone can see the difference in how this team has played on defense.Gregg Williams arrives and the defense is now one of the best instead of one of the worst.Ooops or maybe its just Gray who coached a really bad defense last year and then miraculously coached them into being one of the best.:pigfly:

I really hope we keep Williams next year but I fear a team will offer him a DC spot and we'll just offer him a re-up on his defensive assistant position.

I really hope we keep Williams next year but I fear a team will offer him a DC spot and we'll just offer him a re-up on his defensive assistant position.

I am with you on that, I would love to sign this guy to a good contract, he has made a great difference on our team. I do think he will get offered a HC job if we don't resign him and give him a great contract. I also miss Washburn, he was a great d line coach and wish we could have kept him too.

Williams is the D-coordinator for this team and everybody knows that. He will be the hottest assistant coach out there after the season is over and we will be stuck with Gray and we can't replace Gray because of the charade that he was the DC and our defense was good.

We have to sign Williams!

Honestly i don't care about roles or titles and i don't think Williams cares either. Pay him like a top coordinator and he will be fine.

What we have now works and we can get even better.

Defense comparisons..

Gray 2011-2012 averages:
20th scoring defense.
22.5 total defense

Williams-gray 2013
10th scoring
9th total

Now to be fair we did get some free agent help but we all know that this unit is better since Williams came to town. Gray could have easily been fired just like Palmer was.

need to do everything possible to keep Williams then hire a new Offensive coordinator then the Titans will be in business to making and competing in the postseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back