Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.

archived

Prospect
LEGEND
Moola
SUMMARY: Guards Benji Olson and Zach Piller are being asked to lose weight to meet the changes in defenses around the league. "The league keeps evolving," offensive line coach Mike Munchak said. "We are going to where teams are playing more 3-4, so now you want more of an athletic-type guard. Five years ago it was all about lining up with 340-pound defensive tackles across from you, so you needed big guards to match up. The defense has changed … and you have to be able to match that or you'll have some mismatch problems. It will help them move better and recover with what we are ask the guards to do.

"I think they realize that, especially as they get older. There is a fine line and 330 — we don't need that any more. So I think the two of them are doing a good job of keeping their weight down. Plus, they want to play in the league a little longer and it will help. You have younger guys wanting to take their jobs and they want to put themselves in a position where they could play three or four more years."

What do you think about this article? Post your comments below.

Munch mentioned this on the radio the other morning. Said that losing weight would also help the guards be able to pull. Mentioned that Mawae's weight is already under 300 and he's an excellent puller. We should see him and the guards pulling more this year than they did with Hartwig last year.

Sounds good for Chris Brown. Also sounds good for Bell if he works hard, gets his head on straight he could have a starting job.

Bipolar's news EXTRA!

thomas-herrion-died_thomash.jpg

Weight issue revisited by linemen after 49er's death
By THOMAS STINSON
Cox News Service

This and the

a_kstringer_i.jpg

Vikings tackle Stringer dies from heatstroke
Associated Press

stories may have influence.

Battle of the Bulge: SU linemen cope with pressure of playing positions with dangerously increasing weight levels

By Zach Schronbrun Daily Orange

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back