Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.

archived

Prospect
LEGEND
Moola
The media are speculating that this will be Bill Cowher's last season in charge of the Steelers. Jerome Bettis added his fuel to the fire over the weekend.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/peter_king/08/13/morning/3.html

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=wojciechowski_gene&id=2548813

With Jeff Fisher in the last year of his current contract I am a little concerned that we need to extend his contract ASAP. 2007 is an option year on his current deal but that doesn't squat, we could lose his services & receive little by way of compensation.

I don't mean to be negative & I know my own thoughts are speculative but I just wondered what the rest of you guys think on this.

i'll be subtle but to the point

If Cowher retires / resigns
and Jeff is unemployed.....
then ,yes, i feel Pitt would inquire about his services

I like Fish right where he is though
I don't like the thought of getting aquainted to a new coach / system

I'm not sure if Pittsburgh would inqure about his services. But, oddly enough, he coaches the same style of football the play. :suspect:

Hmm? :hmm:

And, one of the biggest mistakes this organization ever made was firing Bum Phillips. It took a long time to recover from that one.

Time for us to lock Jeff up long term.

I don't think we need to lock up Fisher until we see how this season plays out.
If there's still no team chemistry and players are quitting, then it would seem Fishers time here should end.

Sometimes, even a good coach becomes played out in one place and needs to move on. Doesn't mean he's not a good coach, just that he becomes stagnant for whatever reason and everyone needs a change.

Hoffa said:
I don't think we need to lock up Fisher until we see how this season plays out.
If there's still no team chemistry and players are quitting, then it would seem Fishers time here should end.

I can't see how too many players on this team would quit on him.

We've got a lot of new (first or second year) players on the roster. And, the key veterans on the team are players that were just brought in as FA's this past off-season. So, his will be a fresh voice to them. And, the other veterans who may have tuned him out over the last year or two will probably be among those who will be replaced by other players or draft picks in the off-season, anyway.

moose4now said:
Because I'm not in the inner circles of the Steelers organization.

well, any team would be crazy to not at least consider Jeff a candidate for an open HC job (imo). especially an organization accustomed to longevity

i believe thats why they kept wisenhunt from the raiders this offseason. i see him as the next coach. soon too. cowher has a new home in nc and college age daughters. good time for atleast a break

I liked what Fisher said today about blowing opportunities. He gave out some credit but quickly pointed out mistakes. I don't think we'll see him using the kid gloves this season.

TitanJeff said:
I liked what Fisher said today about blowing opportunities. He gave out some credit but quickly pointed out mistakes. I don't think we'll see him using the kid gloves this season.

Good to hear.

Ok let me understand this...

Cowher retires after the 2006 season.

The titans go 6-10 and fisher is fired.

Steelers go after a coach who has won just won 15 games in 3 seasons?

No way! They will hire from within.

Ewker...

Keep thinking what?

What kind of post is that?

IF, IF we have the 6-10 type season many here think we will have fisher will be fired. IF, IF cowher does decide to retire to North Carolina the steelers will replace him with a protoge of his not a coach who has had three successive losing seasons.

What about that do you disagree with?

FYI, cold pizza just showed the $2.5M home the cowhers just purchased near Raleigh North Carolina. Both Cowher and his wife went to North Carolina State and they have family and friends down there. Maybe he will retire after this year.

RollTide said:
Cowher retires after the 2006 season.

The titans go 6-10 and fisher is fired.

Steelers go after a coach who has won just won 15 games in 3 seasons?

No way! They will hire from within.

At this stage in our rebuilding phase if we go 6-10 it would take a special kind of idiot to fire Fisher.

Name me the coach who could have done better with our team over the last 3 seasons:fish:

Childress...

A better question would be to name any coach that couldn't have done what fisher did the last 2 years. Anyone could have coached that team to 4 wins last season. Anyone! He did a horrible job!

And if we don't do much better than that this year he deserves to be fired and probably will be.

Note that I did not predict a 6-10 type season. I think we will win 9 games but don't go tell me what a great coach he is if he has three straight horrible seasons.

Name any good coach in this league who has had 3 straight losing seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back