Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
They also had an excellent running game and a dominant defense. They basically just told Dilfer to go out there and not turn the ball over.

Tj

In a perfect world, McNair has 3 seasons in him. But when you factor in his price tag plus his retirement talk from last off-season to him being injury prone...no way someone puts all their chips on him for 3 years.

I think he COULD be very good for 3 more years, but given the above...it won't happen I don't think.

Gut

TitanJeff said:
I'm going to disagree (a little). I too think money comes into play but I think this has as much, if not more, to do with the future.

McNair is young enough to have a few quality seasons in him, IMO. He's only a couple of seasons removed from an MVP year. I don't see why, in the right setting (and with a good supporting cast), be productive another two or three seasons if he stays relatively healthy.

He knows he won't get that opportunity here after '06. Maybe you argue that a solid season from McNair in '06 would keep him the #1 into '07 but the pressure will be on to get Young on the field in '07 and he knows it.

Gt3801

Thanks for the compliment! :)

Boller's first couple of years he had WR's who didn't catch the ball but he did have Heap and an awesome running game. They played super conservative for the most part. Last year was gonna be his first real season with all the weapons you could want...until they suddenly couldn't run....at all! And then all the pressure was on him and he wasn't ready for that yet. I think he needs sometime on the bench and bringing in McNair would do wonders for his learning. Maybe he'll never become the QB he was drafted to become, but I think with a good role model and a year on the bench, further development could happen. If it doesn't Baltimore will draft an heir to understudy McNair in next years draft if Boller still can't do the job.

As far as the Jets go, I live in NY and 2 of my best friends are die hard Jets fans so I keep a close eye on them and the Giants (my mom's favorite team). The Jets are not that far removed from a nice playoff run in which they had Pitt beat. While Abraham surprisingly played the whole season and they aquired Law and his 10 INT's, Law was not as good as you might think based on those numbers and they had major injuries at OL (which wrecks your running game) and QB. An impotent offense is usually a deathblow. And no starting QB for 2 years kills your record! This year, they drafted to rebuild the OL (which should do wonders for their running game getting back into gear and keeping the QB's upright), still have a good D (as they already have Thomas...a first rd pick a couple of years ago to replace Abraham), and have a coaching staff that knows how to win BIG games! With McNair at QB behind a GOOD OL with a good running game and a good defense and I could see these guys making a run. Plus, Mangini has intimate knowledge of how to attack Belichecks D most effectively and NE is their main rival until Losman figures out how to play QB. When you look at the Jets current QB's...Klemons is the only guy that excites you. No QB ever has come back from 2 rotator cuff injuries to his throwing shoulder. Ramsey is their only hope for immediate performance and Klemons is their future. But Ramsey has a bit of Bledsoe in him...the bad part about making one or two bonehead throws a game. I told one of my friends that they should have traded for McNair when they stole Dinger!

Mangini and co will be conservative with their first gig as head coach and gm. Unfortunately, Curtis Martin isn't getting any younger so if they are gonna win now, they need a QB! C'est la vie...

Unfortunately for us, I see teams that could really use McNair but aren't showing any interest!

Gut

GoTitans3801 said:
Gut,
I usually get a lot out of your posts, and you clearly have more general football knowledge than I do, but I've got to question two things...

1. Baltimore has their heir of the future? Boller? He's had three years, with an average rating of 69. He's got good weapons around him, I didn't see much excuse for last year, and I've never really seen him have even 1 game where he showed real promise. I think McNair would probably only be a stop gap, maybe a motivational tool for boller to rise to competition, but I think he's about at the end of his leash. Any disagreement?

2. Jets arguably a QB away from a serious run? I just can't agree with that about a team that only won 4 games last year, including us. They've got a lot of questions besides QB. They let Abraham go, will they be able to get enough of a pass rush? Curtis Martin is getting OLD. He might be able to be productive for a few more years, but I don't think he can really carry the load much longer, they need another/a better backup RB. Receiving corps isn't bad, but what about DBs. They let ty law go, and 10 INTs is 10 INTs. Maybe it isn't that big a deal, but I didn't see much this offense to suggest major improvement, and that's what's needed for a 4-12 team to get close to a serious run. What makes you think they're that close?

Gut said:
In a perfect world, McNair has 3 seasons in him. But when you factor in his price tag plus his retirement talk from last off-season to him being injury prone...no way someone puts all their chips on him for 3 years.
I fully agree. But I think McNair feels differently.

dang ratbirds

Gut said:
If it doesn't Baltimore will draft an heir to understudy McNair in next years draft if Boller still can't do the job.
Wait. That was our plan...
or is that The Billy Volek Project? :ravens:

If McNair doesn't take them to the next level he will be gone...they will drop him like an 11 million dollar rock.

Remember...he wants to start...not play show-n-tell with his "heir"....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back