Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hoffa said:
The Titans informed Bus that Steve should not work out at BSP until they resolve his current contract status, in best interest of the team.
And though it should be in the rumor mill, word is that Bus got the call AFTER McNair was told by a trainer at BSP. Regardless, you don't think this would have gotten to the media at some point?

The team points to McNair's cap number as the reason for the lockout as if McNair had something to do in creating it. Wait, McNair was willing to restructure upon request of the Titans. I guess it is his fault. :rolleyes:

As far as the cap situation, I remember you being OK with the money Reese was pushing back at the time so we could keep the window of SB opportunity open as long as we could. We knew the day would eventually come when the Piper would have to be paid, so it seems hypocritical to now be calling Reese a bad GM who created this whole mess.
I don't take issue with the decision to restructure McNair. I take issue with Reese blaming McNair for his cap figure now.

Starkiller said:
The contract McNair is currently playing under was given to him coming off of an MVP season. If he was still playing like an MVP, there wouldn't be a problem.

The problem isn't that he has a $9M base salary. It's that he isn't worth that $9M and isn't worth the money he's looking for...
Yet the front office continues to point to the cap number.

The cap number is the issue, but the $13M is there whether they cut him or keep him at his current contract. So in the end, it's really about the $10M.

The bottom line is that he needs a new contract and they are far apart on terms.

Starkiller said:
The cap number is the issue, but the $13M is there whether they cut him or keep him at his current contract. So in the end, it's really about the $10M.

The bottom line is that he needs a new contract and they are far apart on terms.
The cap number is the issue but it isn't McNair's fault $13 mil is on the books. That statement today is misleading and a poor excuse for how McNair was treated.

The $13M isn't McNair's fault. But it's there anyway. It's there because they tried to keep the team competitive.

It's not about placing blame. It's about fixing the problem.

Hoffa said:
The Titans informed Bus that Steve should not work out at BSP until they resolve his current contract status, in best interest of the team.
I hardly believe the Titans FO is in the habit of playing April Fools jokes with the agents of their players. Bus knew it was no joke.

So Bus Wreck orchestrates this whole situation of Steve being "unwelcome by the team he has done so much for" by telling him to head out to BSP, and then manipulated the media by crying to them that poor ole Steve has been wronged by the mean ole Titans.

As far as the cap situation, I remember you being OK with the money Reese was pushing back at the time so we could keep the window of SB opportunity open as long as we could. We knew the day would eventually come when the Piper would have to be paid, so it seems hypocritical to now be calling Reese a bad GM who created this whole mess. Reese is indeed the one who has to answer for the cap situation, but we all knew, and most all were OK with it for the chance to contend for a SB.

But I"m not wanting to debate whose to blame for the cap situation, I'm upset that Bus Wreck set up this "Steve gets dissed at the BSP" scenario just to make the Titans (OUR TEAM) look like heatless SOB's to everyone. Shame on him. Low blow.
Hoffa, that is the best post in this entire thread. You summed up pretty much every issue that has been discussed.

As far as the media circus....it seems to be working. Cook was notified before hand, and told why. It was and has been widely reported, and still one of the Nashville news station's 10:00 sports started off with.....
"Steve McNair reported to BSP and was told he was not welcome."
WHAT BS! That is NOT what he was told, but it sure makes he and Cook look the victim and the organization as the villan. I hate agents.

Jeff, you forget that the whole reason that the $50 million dollar bonus was written into the contract was to force both sides to renogiate. The $9 mil base salary for this season should have been meaningless because both sides knew they were going to redo the deal. Now team McNair doesnt want to reduce that base salary because he is no longer an elite QB, and he's not going to have any other opportunites to make big money, or have job security.

Interestingly, Wyatt was on 104.5 this afternoon, and he said that if Mac signs with the Ravens it will be for about the same money as the Titans are offering (shades of Eddie George). If I understood him right, he also said the team basically wants to extend the deal for three years, make the $9 mil a signing bonus, and reduce this years salary to the minimum. So they WANT to pay him $10 mil this year. The fact that Team Mac is saying no makes me think that he wants out.

Is this ever about the fact we don't even have a double-digit win total over the past two seasons and the fact that Steve has experienced more than average injury time these past two seasons? Is it ever about the fact that what seems right and the way $#!* goes aren't always the same? Sometimes life just doesn't seem fair? Who said it was fair? Steve, forget your old contract. Humble up. You are not that player anymore and if you are, I'm sorry, but you have to prove it all over again. It's not fair... it's life. If you don't like it, feel free to go the way of Eddie George... go put on a Ravens jersey. Come back here and face us later in regular season... or just tell your agent to shut up and do what is in your best interests... Steve, Nashville can pay you even after you are long dead. Don't be a moron Steve. We need you, but realize that no one anywhere is truly indispensable. Don't dillude yourself.

I begrudgingly visited the Ravens message board out of curiosity.
They are drooling all over themselves. One guy swears there is a "back alley" deal between Ozzie Newsome and Bus Cook. Another guy is working on a photoshop of McNair in a Ravens uniform. They are making plans for McNairs tutoring of Boller.
It's just sickening.

skitch said:
One guy swears there is a "back alley" deal between Ozzie Newsome and Bus Cook.

That wouldnt surprise me at all. If Wyatt was right and we are offering Steven a $9 mil signing bonus, he be stupid to turn it down... unless he knew someone else was willing to offer more.

Hoffa said:
Where in the world did they get a thought like that. Didn't they see what happened to EG?

This is nothing like EG Mc is going to start at his next stop and have all the motivation in the world to win a ring. Mc will get the last laugh while the titans have to replace the front office and the coaching staff because off two to three more losing seasons.

OK, could someone, anyone please explain why Bud is catching flack here all of a sudden? I mean what exactly has he done to this city except bring an NFL franchise to a town that's previous pro sports experiences were the sounds and an occasional women's pro golf tournament? I've got no problem with anything Bud has done to this point, or the way the team has handled its "big" name players. EG was mislead by his agent and new wife, he would still be a Titan if he had not let his ego lead the way, as far as others go perhaps there is a point about Godfrey but others like hopkins for instance I would have helped that guy pack his bags years ago. This McNair deal is another example of a agent trying to do what agents do, get the biggest deal for his client(and himself remember). Look folks this isn't college, it is a multi billion dollar business, the players/agents know it and do their best for themselves, why should the team not do the best for the organization? Do any of you really think that McNair will be the QB next season even if something(highly unlikely now) can be worked out? I would bet the house that he will not.:hmm:

Starkiller said:
The $13M isn't McNair's fault. But it's there anyway. It's there because they tried to keep the team competitive.

It's not about placing blame. It's about fixing the problem.
When the team points to the cap figure to justify locking out McNair, it is about placing blame. Otherwise, why mention it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back