Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
MacNine said:
Great posts JayDog. I don't understand the trashing of McNair. Its a win for all parties involved.

I wish McNair nothing but the best. Its not his fault Reese never got him a #1 WR. Its not his fault to spend 11 years playing for an offensively challenged head coach that wasted his early years. In the right system, I envisioned McNair putting up numbers like Steve Young. I don't have any hate for McNair, just disappointment over what could have been a HOF career.

I don't understand the bashing of reese! He did nothing but go get great players (Mcnair/George) While they were on thier way up. and get rid of them when they were on thier way down (Same Player) Can he help it if they're at the end of thier carrers?

LET ME MAKE THIS CLEAR SO YOU WILL UNDERSTAND WHY WE ARE COMING DOWN ON MCNAIR.
HEEE'S NOOOO LOOONGER AAAA TITAN!!!!

Now let me explain the fact that i forgive floyd reese for not KISSING MCNAIRS #$% anymore

HEEEE ISSS STILL AAAA TIIITAAN!!!

Ok i'm done yelling. Please stop saying you don't understand it. Because it's been laid out plainly. Say you disagree, but please don't say you don't understand it.

not McNairs fault Reese never got him a #1 WR?

Thigpen was signed as a #1 after two seasons over 1300 yards.
Carl Pickens was one of the best WRs out there at the time.
And if Derrick Mason if he isn't a #1 I don't know who is.

Gunny said:
not McNairs fault Reese never got him a #1 WR?

Thigpen was signed as a #1 after two seasons over 1300 yards.
Carl Pickens was one of the best WRs out there at the time.
And if Derrick Mason if he isn't a #1 I don't know who is.

Please, Mason developed into a #1. I guess thats why he couldn't sniff the field in his early years until all of the injuries at WR made him a last resort. Remember Sanders was ahead of Mason on the depth chart.

Thigpen? The guy had a screw in his foot. Name one other WR that has a screw in his ankle that consistently put up big numbers.

Pickens, could barely run when the Titans picked him up.

Thigpen had a screw in his foot years before he signed with Tenn, had it repaired after signing.

Pickens played a full season the season before signing with Tennesee.

And Reese drafted Mase, not his fault he didnt see the field.

I agree with jaydog....

I think gunny is naive regarding the idea that that mcnair should have eaten about $10m or more and just be vince young's backup. In the meantime mcnair has no chance of ever getting into the hall of fame had he stayed with the titans. What sane person would do that?

For starters gunny, 33 is not old. If mcnair lives to the age of 85 that means he has 62% of his life left and 82% of his adult life left. Why shouldn't the guy be concerned about his long term future with and without football?
And even if the guy is worth $20m that doesn't mean that a couple million dollars should no longer mean anything. That's still a lot of money!
Then there is the principle of the thing. Mcnair has been to pro bowls and won an mvp. He has had a great career. Why should he accept the role of a neil odonnell? Just for sentimental sake? Get real.

I give bus cook and steve mcnair a pat on the back because they got exactly what they wanted. As long as steve plays well he can start there for the next 5 years! And his contract averages out at $6.4m a year. Who would have not done the same?

RollTide said:
I think gunny is naive regarding the idea that that mcnair should have eaten about $10m or more and just be vince young's backup. In the meantime mcnair has no chance of ever getting into the hall of fame had he stayed with the titans. What sane person would do that?

For starters gunny, 33 is not old. If mcnair lives to the age of 85 that means he has 62% of his life left and 82% of his adult life left. Why shouldn't the guy be concerned about his long term future with and without football?
And even if the guy is worth $20m that doesn't mean that a couple million dollars should no longer mean anything. That's still a lot of money!
Then there is the principle of the thing. Mcnair has been to pro bowls and won an mvp. He has had a great career. Why should he accept the role of a neil odonnell? Just for sentimental sake? Get real.

I give bus cook and steve mcnair a pat on the back because they got exactly what they wanted. As long as steve plays well he can start there for the next 5 years! And his contract averages out at $6.4m a year. Who would have not done the same?

Exactly!

Gunny...

Reese used a 2nd rd pick on joey kent(1997), a 1st on kevin dyson(1998) and a 2nd on calico(2003). All have been disappointments. Had we done the logical thing and drafted moss in 98 mcnair would have a ring and about 2000-3500 more career yards passing. Hall of fame would be a definite probability. Moss is 8th all time in TD passes and he won't be 30 until feburary.

Gunny said:
Then why do (some) players in the NFL do it?

no, if I had earnt multiple millions of dollars and saved it/invested it whatever so that I am comfortable for the rest of my life and my kids life, i wouldn't need $15 million dollars at age 33. I'd prefer to stay with the team I started with and retire playing for one team.

No NFL player in his right mind will turn down $15M more. Maybe $1M or $2M but $15M. It doesn't happen. Only if that player wants to retire in short order. Mcnair has said he wants to play for another 3 or 4 years.

RollTide said:
Reese used a 2nd rd pick on joey kent(1997), a 1st on kevin dyson(1998) and a 2nd on calico(2003). All have been disappointments. Had we done the logical thing and drafted moss in 98 mcnair would have a ring and about 2000-3500 more career yards passing. Hall of fame would be a definite probability. Moss is 8th all time in TD passes and he won't be 30 until feburary.

You honestly think Randy Moss would be the player he is today if he had of been drafted by a Les Steckel offensively led Tennessee Titans?

jaydog said:
Mcnair has said he wants to play for another 3 or 4 years.

After wanting to retire last year. Was he serious? Or was it a ploy? (as some have suggested)

If he was serious, he is one hard hit away from never playing again.

If it was a ploy then I have serious issues with him. (though I don't believe the conspiracies)

jaydog said:
No NFL player in his right mind will turn down $15M more. Maybe $1M or $2M but $15M. It doesn't happen. Only if that player wants to retire in short order. Mcnair has said he wants to play for another 3 or 4 years.
I'm going to enjoy watching defenses bust him up next year. Especially the Steelers. 3 or 4 more years? Get real.

flamehead2 said:
Here's where i begin to disagree with you,

I honestly believe McNair did not play with heart the last 2 seasons he was with the Titans. Let me say this again so you'll understand where I'm coming from. He did not give his all. He was lacluster and mentally, he wasn't like the steve of old. He did not care! Now you don't have to agree with me. But there is nothing you can say or no statistic you can quote that will change my mind. I witnessed it for my self first hand at the games.
I have already stated elsewhere on this board that during the 2004 preseason i noticed something was wrong with Steve mentally and told everyone I knew about it. This was a few months or so before he said he was thinking about retiring. Flash forward to the end of the probowl last season. First thing bus comes out right after the probowl and says he expects the Titans to honor steves contract as is, knowing full well that it would be impossible for the Titans to do that and be even slightly competitive.

Everything you said is literally opinion and not based on facts. Do you not remember that in 2004 the man played struggled the whole season with a broken sternum. McNair suffered the sternum injury Sept. 26 against Jacksonville, re-injured it at Minnesota on Oct. 24 and again at Houston on Nov. 28. All in 2004. He had surgery to repair it in Dec. The injury was so bad & painful that before the surgery he was considering retirement. This also coincides with the first real year of the roster being purged.

So you damn skippy he wasn't the Steve of old. The man had a broken bone in his chest, first diagnosed as only a severe bruise. He couldn't throw the ball nearly at full strength but never complained. Gave his all until he couldn't anymore, hence the surgery.

2005 more of the same, now heathier. The Titans continued to purge the roster, leaving bare necessities. The man never complained but played. You say his heart wasn't into it.........now you're reading minds, lol! He did a good job playing on a team that had no chance to win, and he knew it. He just made it through.

flamehead2 said:
I am not with those who are saying steve is washed up. I don't think you'll find a post on this board where i said that. As a matter of fact I THINK THE OPPOSITE! Steve will probably light up the Baltimore sky like the whole city is on fire! He'll probably have a great year! He will play with the fire of 2003 and before. THAT'S WHY I'm BITTER AND PISSED AT HIM!.

Like I've said the whole time. You and some of these other fans are like gilted lovers. You're mad at him because you think he wronged you. Your opinion, but utter BS.

flamehead2 said:
He's like a spouse that started loving someone else before he announced he wanted a divorce! BY NOT GIVING US HIS ALL IN 2004 AND 2005 HE CHEATED ON THE TITANS AND US FANS!!!!

More bull. That man did all he could in the past two years. The Titans were crappy across the board. Like I said earlier, you can't make sugar from ****.

flamehead2 said:
It's really simple to me. The FO is responsible in this too but I'm giving them a pass instead of McNair. WHY? Because they stayed with the team McNair didn't.

Perhaps the silliest post of the day. Where in Hades was the front office going to go? Huh? Is anybody currently offering Floyd Reese a better opportunity. No. Reese also has one more year on his contract. Let's see if he stays next year when other offers come up and Bud Adams gives him lukewarm offers. Jeff Fisher also.

Gunny said:
After wanting to retire last year. Was he serious? Or was it a ploy? (as some have suggested)

If he was serious, he is one hard hit away from never playing again.

If it was a ploy then I have serious issues with him. (though I don't believe the conspiracies)

This man was thinking about retirement during the time he had a broken sternum and it appeared no relief was in sight. Surgery fixed what turned out to be a birth defect in which his sternum was not even connected and led to the severe bruising he experienced from time to time when hit in the area.

He never mentioned retirement at all in 2005. Because he was a lot healthier.

Mcnair and WRs...

Mcnair had a very good, deep stable of WRs for 3 years out of his career. 2001-2003. I would like someone to name a better QB in that three year span. Mcnabb had an off year in 2003, mcnair's passing rating was 5 points higher than tom brady and actually one point higher than manning. Manning's 2 best years would come in after that. Rich gannon became old and injured in 2003 after a great 4 years. Kurt warner was no longer a factor by then. Only brett favre and tom brady were comparable and i would give mcnair the nod over favre.

It's not that steve didn't have good players around him in previous years. He had good lineman like bruce, hopkins, runyon stepnoski, he had eddie and he always had good TEs but he didn't always have a good deep WR corp and when he did his average passing rating was 91. Go back to mcnair circa 1998. With total crap at the WR position he had an 80 passing rating and was an awesome runner. The guy was a great player already it just took 4 years and some better WRs for people to realize it.

Brian said:
I'm going to enjoy watching defenses bust him up next year. Especially the Steelers. 3 or 4 more years? Get real.

You may be right, he may not last the full year, much less the 3 or 4 he wants to. But he now has the option to if he wants to or if he can. He didn't have that guarantee here. All he had was this year. For a man that wants to play longer, that's not sufficient.

RollTide said:
Mcnair had a very good, deep stable of WRs for 3 years out of his career. 2001-2003. I would like someone to name a better QB in that three year span. Mcnabb had an off year in 2003, mcnair's passing rating was 5 points higher than tom brady and actually one point higher than manning. Manning's 2 best years would come in after that. Rich gannon became old and injured in 2003 after a great 4 years. Kurt warner was no longer a factor by then. Only brett favre and tom brady were comparable and i would give mcnair the nod over favre.

Trent Green? 3x4000 yards and over 90 Passer rating...though not sure if that was in the span 2001 - 2003.

And with no WRs whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back