Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
dg1979us said:
What games has peyton lost that they shouldve won? The steelers game is the only big game where the colts were the better team and they lost. Surely your not suggesting the colts shouldve beat NE on the road the past two years? And surely you dont think that UT had better teams than Florida when Peyton was there. Both situations he was on the inferior team.

Not necessarily win the game but if you can throw a million touchdowns during the regular season to break Dan Marino's record you would think you could throw atleast one in a entire game.

Second, the 99 game when we beat them. Manning and the Colts were favored to win that game. Shoulda have one but he didn't. Got beat by a QB with terrible stats (go figure).:hmm:

Eddie George rushed for a franchise playoff-record 162 yards and Al Del Greco kicked four field goals to lead the Tennessee Titans to a 19-16 victory over the Indianapolis Colts in the AFC divisional playoffs in 1999.
McNair was a blistering 13-of-24 for 112 yards in that game (McNair did have a whopping 35 yards rushing, thats 147 yards of total offense by the great one). Give me a break. Could anyone doubt that if McNair had been the Colts QB and Manning the Titans QB that game that the Titans would have won?

Starkiller said:
Fine, I'll take Manning in the regular season and any other decent QB in the playoffs. Manning is a choker. He has never won the big game. On any level (well, maybe pee-wee).

He has proven it in the NFL playoffs over and over. He proved it at UT, over and over. And even in high school (I just read this fact), he lost just 5 games in his career, yet 3 of them came in the playoffs and he never won a state championship.

If you really believe that McNair could have even come close to leading the Colts over the Steelers you are smoking something. McNair's playoff record less the miracle play in 1999 would be as bad as Mannings.

Just to show how the QB gets a bad rap simply look at the Titans loss to the Ravens the following year. McNair had possibly his best playoff game statistically 24-46-1-176, and yet the Titans only put up 10 points. If the Titans don't pull off the miracle run back against the Bills McNair gets knocked out of the playoffs two years in a row and is a choker and a loser.
McNair could have easily lost the other playoff game against the Ravens considering he threw 3 ints. Slamming Manning must make some of you feel better but one thing for sure. The Colts are a playoff team and we suck. The Colts by Starkiller's own admission will be the team to beat next "unless Manning gets hurt" and we will be lucky to sniff the playoffs again.
We can only hope and dream we get a QB even close to Manning to replace McNair.

Soxcat said:
If you really believe that McNair could have even come close to leading the Colts over the Steelers you are smoking something. McNair's playoff record less the miracle play in 1999 would be as bad as Mannings.

Just to show how the QB gets a bad rap simply look at the Titans loss to the Ravens the following year. McNair had possibly his best playoff game statistically 24-46-1-176, and yet the Titans only put up 10 points. If the Titans don't pull off the miracle run back against the Bills McNair gets knocked out of the playoffs two years in a row and is a choker and a loser.
McNair could have easily lost the other playoff game against the Ravens considering he threw 3 ints. Slamming Manning must make some of you feel better but one thing for sure. The Colts are a playoff team and we suck. The Colts by Starkiller's own admission will be the team to beat next "unless Manning gets hurt" and we will be lucky to sniff the playoffs again.
We can only hope and dream we get a QB even close to Manning to replace McNair.

Someone close this thread...This just got clamped shut.

Fact: Peyton has had some of the best offensive players the NFL has seen in the past 10 years playing for him his entire career.
Fact: Peyton has never won a big game in his entire career despite showing tons of potential.
Fact: Peyton has had basically the same offensive line since day 1.
Fact: Peyton is still one of the best qb's the game has ever seen. Probably on the short list (top 3-5).
Fact: McNair has had much less talent surrounding him, even taking into account the defenses.
Fact: McNair has had less opportunities to excel in the playoffs.
Fact: McNair has nonetheless made the most of those opportunities short of winning the Super Bowl.
Fact: McNair doesn't play for the Colts and Manning doesn't play for the Titans.
Fact: No one knows what would have happened had it worked out differently for them.

Titans2008 said:
Fact: Peyton has had some of the best offensive players the NFL has seen in the past 10 years playing for him his entire career.
Fact: Peyton has never won a big game in his entire career despite showing tons of potential.
Fact: Peyton is still one of the best qb's the game has ever seen. Probably on the short list (top 3-5).
Fact: McNair has had much less talent surrounding him, even taking into account the defenses.
Fact: McNair has had less opportunities to excel in the playoffs.
Fact: McNair has nonetheless made the most of those opportunities short of winning the Super Bowl.
Fact: McNair doesn't play for the Colts and Manning doesn't play for the Titans.
Fact: No one knows what would have happened had it worked out differently for them.

I agree with all of these. Manning is STILL the better QB with all that in mind. Close thread.

Play the reversal game. Would Peyton be more productive the McNair if he was with the Titans? Vice-versa?

I think Manning would be a much better QB than McNair is. Up to 2004, I'd call it very close. Before that, I gave the nod to McNair. But not anymore.

Titans2008 said:

Actually, his OLine has had very much turnover with the exception of Tarik Glenn. The Colts OLine was the equivalent to the Broncos RB's, just plug and play, and no one misses a beat. Think of how many different guard combinations they have used over the last 4 years, and nobody seems to use this as an excuse like Titan fans would.

I hate this thread.

Why are we defending the enemy (or bashing him, for that matter), and bashing our own QB? Who gives a crap which one's better. We have #9, and they have the former Vol...the rest is irrelevant. I was glad the Colts lost, but jeez...

No one is bashing McNair. If bashing Mac is saying that another player (a potential HOF at that) is better, then people on this board need to get a grip.

I thought that game was the AFC championship, but I concede the point that I could be wrong. I don't think you would just lie, so I'm wrong. So what? Manning can't win anything of Value. It's silly to argue whether it's better to have good stats or win games, and in some of these posts that's exactly what we've been doing.
Anyway, nobody can win this. But it's fun arguing with you guys.

RollTide said:
Your posts make no sense. Prior to this year manning has played on teams with horrible defenses.

2005 - Divisional Playoffs - Colts defense holds the Steelers to 21 points. Manning throws for 290 yards. Defense held the Steelers to 21 points. 3 Touchdowns. And the Colts who scored 439 points this season couldn't get that.

2004 - Divisional Playoffs - Colts Defense held the Patriots to 20 points. Not even 3 TDs. The Great Manning leads the Colts to 3 points. Dont even need to explain how good Manning and the Colts offense was that season.

2003 - AFC Championship - Colts Defense holds the Patriots to 24 points and the Great Mannings favourite reciever was Ty Law with 3 completions to him.

I just don't see these horrible defenses that your talking about. 3 Touchdowns each time. The Colts easily put up 3 TDs in those years.

I for one would just like to see McNair with a leading rusher and a hall of fame WR at the same time (coupled with a decent OL).

I love the Titans but I actually want McNair to leave Tennessee and go to a team that has better offensive players so he can prove the naysayers wrong.

Go Mac

Mad about mcnair.....

Why take my word for it, go look up the stats on profootballreference.com. They have all the playoff stats for players going back to the 1980s.

Because, like I said, you don't need to lie about it. I was just working from memory. Mistakes happen, those two games were only about a month apart. I mainly remember the joy of winning.

Now, why don't you respond to Gunny's post, statboy. Or are you too busy getting ready for Mule day?

I'll respond. The Steelers and the Pats had dominating defenses. Same reason we lost to the Ravens in 2000. Its not like the Pats have been chopped liver or something. Indy's defense didn't exactly shut those offenses down either. Certainly Manning has had his share of bad games. McNair has had a few as well as some of the greatest QBs in NFL history. However, it wasn't all Manning's fault the last game. The Steelers went up by 14-0 and then when the Colts finally did drive down the field, 96 yards it was a procedure penalty that helped keep them out of the endzone. The Colt's defense, if any of you watched that game, couldn't keep the Steelers off the field in the second half and although they didn't score alot of points they did limit the Colts opportunities (not that actually watching the game makes a difference).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back