Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you stick to what you said, about the trailer being intentionally misleading, then I disagree. If you retract, then I agree.

Yes, we agree..

No it's not. Ex: when I saw the trailer for "American Gangster", Denzel was the only reason I wanted to see it and one of his best and most memorable roles prior to that film was playing a bad guy, so his character in "Training Day" crossed my mind even though you know it's two completely different movies.

On one hand you're thinking of a previous role then on the other not expecting him to play the same role - that's all I'm saying is slightly contradictory..
I had no beef with Stone other than that the ending just kinda drifts towards a conclusion. It's nice to see DeNiro get back to playing a role that isn't just a sad caricature of some previous work.

The bed of flowers thing works, if you watch movies for visuals.

Visuals are 1/4 of a film for me.. and one of the least important.

I don't know about the least important, but it's only a small percentage for me as well.

I saw "The Assassination of Jesse James by sadndsjnasdnjdnjsksdasdscncnz" not too long ago, and based on visuals alone, it's a 10/10 movie, but way too slow. Now I knew by the trailer what I was getting myself into, so I wouldn't exactly say it was boring, but just too many scenes of guys talking about nothing. Casey showed why he is by far the superior Affleck, great score, and the 6 minute scene that leads to the actual assassination was perfect, but it would have worked a lot better for me if a good 20-30 minutes were cut out.

I'm not entirely sure OneTon is specifically talking about visuals with the bed-of-roses reference.. Jesse James would no longer be a dialogue driven narrative if you edited 30 minutes of dialogue.

127 Hours -

Great movie. I suppose it was hard to mess this one up, but Franko was perfect and the movie kept my teeth clinched all the way through. The entire attitude of Aaron Ralston (true to the man or not?) was awesome. Some actual laugh out loud lines in a painful moment.
I wondered how it'd play out due to the dilema happening before the title is even displayed... but it remained interesting all the way through. Perfect job of going through the different thought processes we all kind of know we'd experience in that situation. Nice score/soundtrack also.
Reminded me of Into the Wild. Just as good a performance, and Hirsch was great in that one.

8/10. As good as expected, which rarely happens.

The Fighter-

Another great film. I'm pretty much a sucker for anything boxing, but still. I don't think Mark Wahlberg played the best Micky Ward (and I've been known to argue that he's underrated at times), but regardless a good flick and it didn't even need to feature the most notable fights of Ward's career.

Christian Bale and Amy Adams stole the show, but Bale was on another level. I think due to doing Terminator and Batman I forgot just how good he can be, and how diverse (the way I measure an actor), but he became Dicky Eklund. How much weight did he lose for this one? Looks as he did in The Machinist.
Amy Adams may be my new favorite female actress if she keeps this up- though it's a short list to begin with. She continues to show that she can transform in to a new character every role and make you forget that it's the same person you've seen before.

8/10 again.

Good night of movies... wish they all ended that way.

On one hand you're thinking of a previous role then on the other not expecting him to play the same role - that's all I'm saying is slightly contradictory..
I had no beef with Stone other than that the ending just kinda drifts towards a conclusion. It's nice to see DeNiro get back to playing a role that isn't just a sad caricature of some previous work.

If you see Crowe with a sword or Damon kicking a** in a trailer, fleeting thoughts of Gladiator and Jason Bourne are gonna cross your mind.

My knock was only 2 minutes of the movie were good...what you saw in the trailer. Spoilers And I guess there is one part in the trailer that can mislead you after watching it again...when Milla says "I love you, Jack." In the actual movie, she never implied she had feelings for him regardless if they were real or she was just playing him, she was horny and just wanted a "buddy" and pretty much made that clear to him. And jesus, she could poke out an eye with those things...you know what I'm actually refering to. :wink2:

I'm not entirely sure OneTon is specifically talking about visuals with the bed-of-roses reference.. Jesse James would no longer be a dialogue driven narrative if you edited 30 minutes of dialogue.

When I was talking about Jesse James, I was talking about the cinematography/landscaping being great. And it's a near 3 hour movie that could have done better without 20-30 minutes of guys talking about nothing. Or a little less "Jessie James is now picking his nose and wiping his boogers on the wall...now he's getting ready to take a..."

I don't think Mark Wahlberg played the best Micky Ward.

Christian Bale and Amy Adams stole the show, but Bale was on another level.

Even though Wahlberg is the main character, Bale was definitely the star and it really was his movie. Pretty much like how Bale was in the opposite position in The Dark Knight, everybody reconizes that as Ledger's movie.

And losing weight, regaining it, and so on like he does really can't be healthy...

127 Hours -

Great movie. I suppose it was hard to mess this one up, but Franko was perfect and the movie kept my teeth clinched all the way through. The entire attitude of Aaron Ralston (true to the man or not?) was awesome. Some actual laugh out loud lines in a painful moment.
I wondered how it'd play out due to the dilema happening before the title is even displayed... but it remained interesting all the way through. Perfect job of going through the different thought processes we all kind of know we'd experience in that situation. Nice score/soundtrack also.
Reminded me of Into the Wild. Just as good a performance, and Hirsch was great in that one.

8/10. As good as expected, which rarely happens.

See I was worried Boyle WOULD up a good thing, namely make it a Tony Scott "visual seizure-fest" ala Slumdog Millionaire.

I loved this film, and it was mostly due to Franco's acting. The guy might be a complete goof ball in real life with his celebrity, but the guy is fantastic.

I saw "The Assassination of Jesse James by sadndsjnasdnjdnjsksdasdscncnz" not too long ago, and based on visuals alone, it's a 10/10 movie, but way too slow. Now I knew by the trailer what I was getting myself into, so I wouldn't exactly say it was boring, but just too many scenes of guys talking about nothing.

That dialogue didn't seem pointless to me - but that's just my take. I love that we now essentially have "12 hour movies" ala HBO and other dramatic series. Deadwood and The Wire simply aren't as precious without the slower dialogue interactions or stuff like Al's famous long-winded monologues. Gives you something that just isn't there in movies that are essentially cut-to-fit 90 minute highlight reels. It's much of the reason The Walking Dead succeeds where so many "Dead" endeavors fail. Character development...

The problem with dialogue based scripts is without remarkable writing, it just bores. Without trimming the fat... it wont be entertaining. I watched about 30 minutes of The Assassination of Jesse James (a movie I wanted to watch) channel surfing once... and realized within that 30 that it wouldn't really be compelling.

Maybe I'm too ADD (never doubting). Filming a boring conversation doesn't do it for me. There has to be drama... emotion. Something.

That dialogue didn't seem pointless to me - but that's just my take. I love that we now essentially have "12 hour movies" ala HBO and other dramatic series. Deadwood and The Wire simply aren't as precious without the slower dialogue interactions or stuff like Al's famous long-winded monologues. Gives you something that just isn't there in movies that are essentially cut-to-fit 90 minute highlight reels. It's much of the reason The Walking Dead succeeds where so many "Dead" endeavors fail. Character development...

As I said, for me, it could have done better with 20 minutes cut out. For the most part, I still enjoyed it, was just some pointless parts to me that moved incredibly slow, but I was never bored to the point that I didn't want to finish the movie. They nailed the build up scene right before the assassination though, you could have cut the tension with a knife, I'll give them that.

Speaking of "The Wire", all my friends keep bugging me about that show, so I need to watch that sometime in the near future, but I'm still on "Breaking Bad", which is brilliant if you never seen it.

Martyrs

A little background: "A young woman's quest for revenge against the people who kidnapped and tormented her as a child leads her and a friend, who is also a victim of child abuse, on a terrifying journey into a living hell of depravity."

Wow, this is one of those movies that can leave you emotionally drained. If you thought weak a** stuff like Saw and Hostel were too hard to watch, then you probably shouldn't watch this. If you're a real horror fan, then you need to experience this. It's not as gory (though I find beating a woman senseless as torture much harder to watch than most mutilation) as the Saw/Hostel movies, if gore is the number one thing you look for...though it has its good share of gore. It's a psychological mind-screw, highly graphic and disturbing...one of the movies where you just want it to end already but you can't look away, and once it's finished, it'll stick with you for a few. Definitely not a popcorn horror, as there won't be any cheering when limbs are flying around. Not perfect and has its flaws like any other horror, but I think true horror fans need to experience this.

By the way, it is a French movie, always stick with the subtitles as English dubs strips away any type of emotion. And I posted the short synopsis from imdb because good chance you'll read spoilers (as they're very common for this movie) if you look too much into it.

Martyrs was one of the most absurd films I've ever seen. Although, I can't say Martyrs was good in any way, shape or fashion but I can say that it was a crowning achievement for horror and genre films.

If I can deem a film "important" but didn't like it (i.e. Enter the Void)...it is probably going to have a lasting impression for many years to come. Hell, people that Salo was a piece of garbage back in the day and look at it now.

By the way, the French are doing horror right. Films like 'Inside', 'Frontiers', and 'High Tension' still resonate with me.

Martyrs effectively serves to gross you out but the story isn't so interesting. I'll go with Calvaire as tops for me in the French/Belgian disturbing Gorror realm.. Frontiers, Haute Tension just behind that. Inside as well..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back