Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Horrible Bosses - If there's one genre that I'm really getting sick of, it's the R-rated Summer comedy. Four years ago, when Judd Apatow led the revival, it was generally a pretty high stock sub-genre. But lately, I've really had my fill of these bloated, over-long messes that think that stuffing as many dick, p***** , and s**** jokes can make the film remarkable.

I came into Seth Gordon's first feature foray into the R-rated world with a bit of trepidation. I haven't been a Jason Bateman fan since the end of Arrested Development, and I'm still not a believer in Jason Sudeikis as someone I want to watch for 2 hours. But, I was pleasantly surprised with a film that really tried to use it's cast to perfection and actually made some actually clever juvenile jokes.

The film works on a few levels. While some think Charlie Day is just a re-branded Bobcat Goldthwait, I think he's a strong comic force in today's scene, and he brings some solid funny to this film. Jamie Foxx should remind all of us that he can be a good part of any movie when he isn't taking himself too seriously, and his character here is used to pretty great effect. As I sort of hinted at earlier, Bateman and Sudeikis aren't great here, but they definitely aren't as mediocre as they've been recently. Both get some pretty good material at times, and they don't drop the ball in any particular sense. Bateman in particular is allowed to do some funny bits without having to be just an average straight man, and he does it well.

The three evil bosses are pretty good here, although I think the film could have been stronger if Gordan had given them more scenes - this is strongly hinted at especially with Farrell's character in the outtakes. They're just over-the-top enough and bat- insane to be both suitable targets for a silly murder plot, but they're so zany you don't really want to see them dead. But most of all, all three actors (particularly Aniston in her sex-depraved mode) are having a great deal of fun, and the audience can't really help but smile.

All in all, it was an enjoyable movie that is of the joke-a-minute variety. Like most average comedies of this ilk, some jokes work and probably just as many don't. But, the difference is that the characters are pretty likeable, and the immature humor is often times pretty funny. So while I'm still waiting for a true second wind from the R-Rated Comedy beast, I can definitely accept this fare without complaint.

3.5/5

Turtorro is probably the lone bright spot since the inception of this franchise. I like the other guys when they are in other movies.. Malkovich' character appeared to be the sad victim of bad editing maybe. No explanation for it otherwise (except maybe that this was a Transformers movie and you should be trained by now to accept huge question marks in even the simplest of logic).

I'm not really defending the movie. It was just better than I expected. That's all... not like I'll ever watch it again. I saw it for free. If I had paid a gazillion bucks to see it in 3D like you did, I'd probably give it a 1/10 too.

I thought the appearances from Malkovich, Jeong, principal from Eastbound and Down, Dempsey, and McDormand were funny... Though Dempsey and McDormand's characters weren't supposed to be funny.

I'll be checking out Horrible Bosses soon. I was expecting it to be the best comedy of the summer... But I hear mixed things (from reading this thread and from others).

Maybe "Our Idiot Brother" will be good... The trailer I saw looked meh at best though.

I watched Source Code tonight.

Awesome movie that I don't think got a lot of attention. I didn't have high expectations going in but I was surprised. It would be hard to give a detailed review without giving away a lot so I'll just say it is a 8.5/10. Check it out.

I watched Source Code tonight.

Awesome movie that I don't think got a lot of attention. I didn't have high expectations going in but I was surprised. It would be hard to give a detailed review without giving away a lot so I'll just say it is a 8.5/10. Check it out.

I didn't think it was that good.

A friend and I couldn't bare to watch more than the first 20 minutes of Your Highness, so we swapped tickets and saw the only movie available that late at night - Source Code.

It did get great reviews actually. It was better than I expected, but I wasn't a fan and I didn't understand the high ratings i.e. rottentomatoes.

There's too much boredom spread throughout the rest of Tarantino films. Basterds doesn't have the long drawn out boring scenes that could have been cut.
The only movie of his that I felt had the long, drawn out dialogue was Death Proof. If it wasn't for the scene in the diner it would have been a really fun movie to watch. Instead it became tedious and the only movie of his that I was constantly checking to see what time it was.

Michael Bay shouldn't be a full time director, he's a great action director and have directed some insane actions scenes (freeway chase in Bay Boys 2, collapsing skyscraper in Transformers 3, the attack sequence in Pearl Harbor), there's no denying that... I say let him do his thing if sh*t is getting blown up, but if there's an excessive amount of talking, he needs to step away.

I've always been under the impression that Inglourious Basterds was Tarantino's best movie.

That's always been my opinion, at least.

There's too much boredom spread throughout the rest of Tarantino films. Basterds doesn't have the long drawn out boring scenes that could have been cut.

Shosanna's chapter should have been cut down a little and the extra screen time should have given to either the Basterds and/or Michael Fassbender

The Eagle

Bad trailer, bad reviews, but the story sounded interesting and I was intrigued by the fact the two lead roles were Channing "Pretty Boy" Tatum and Jamie Bell (who looks like he still needs a babysitter) because I like it when actors don't initially look the part and manage to pleasantly surprise you, so I gave it a chance anyway...

I applaud Tatum for wanting to take this role but unfortunately he didn't pleasantly surprise me as he gives a very weak lead role, from his bad Roman accent (his American accent randomly slips up a lot in the movie) to being incapable of changing facial expressions and sounding like he's reading his lines.

In fairness to Tatum, the script was "dumbed down" and pretty bad, so he didn't have much to work with. Speaking of which, Donald Sutherland, who has a small part, got the worst lines out of the cast, and as a result, he was by far the worst part of the movie.

It had potential as the movie picks up a little after they encounter the Seal People (blue guys you see in the trailer), I just think the movie suffered from too many bad one liners and the lack of a decent dialogue.

There were a few bright moments. Jamie Bell (known for Billy Elliot) had some solid scenes and carried every scene he was in with little to work with. I want to see what he can do with a good script. The chemistry between Tatum and Bell was good and subtle, I liked that it wasn't a bromance and they didn't have back and forth witty banters, instead it was more of a "alright, we're paired up together on this mission, we have a mutual respect for each other, let's get sh*t done" partnership. There were also some impressive cinematography and battle scenes, I liked that there was very little CGI used and during the battle scenes, it had a gritty in your face, quick cut style similar to the one in Gladiator. And kudos for the movie not having a love interest.

I'd say it's a decent way to kill 2 hours if you need to.

6.5/10

The Eagle

Bad trailer, bad reviews, but the story sounded interesting and I was intrigued by the fact the two lead roles were Channing "Pretty Boy" Tatum and Jamie Bell (who looks like he still needs a babysitter) because I like it when actors don't initially look the part and manage to pleasantly surprise you, so I gave it a chance anyway...

I applaud Tatum for wanting to take this role but unfortunately he didn't pleasantly surprise me as he gives a very weak lead role, from his bad Roman accent (his American accent randomly slips up a lot in the movie) to being incapable of changing facial expressions and sounding like he's reading his lines.

In fairness to Tatum, the script was "dumbed down" and pretty bad, so he didn't have much to work with. Speaking of which, Donald Sutherland, who has a small part, got the worst lines out of the cast, and as a result, he was by far the worst part of the movie.

It had potential as the movie picks up a little after they encounter the Seal People (blue guys you see in the trailer), I just think the movie suffered from too many bad one liners and the lack of a decent dialogue.

There were a few bright moments. Jamie Bell (known for Billy Elliot) had some solid scenes and carried every scene he was in with little to work with. I want to see what he can do with a good script. The chemistry between Tatum and Bell was good and subtle, I liked that it wasn't a bromance and they didn't have back and forth witty banters, instead it was more of a "alright, we're paired up together on this mission, we have a mutual respect for each other, let's get sh*t done" partnership. There were also some impressive cinematography and battle scenes, I liked that there was very little CGI used and during the battle scenes, it had a gritty in your face, quick cut style similar to the one in Gladiator. And kudos for the movie not having a love interest.

I'd say it's a decent way to kill 2 hours if you need to.

6.5/10

Did Channing break into any Step Up type dancing?

The only movie of his that I felt had the long, drawn out dialogue was Death Proof. If it wasn't for the scene in the diner it would have been a really fun movie to watch. Instead it became tedious and the only movie of his that I was constantly checking to see what time it was.

I was bored throughout multiple scenes in Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown, and from the bits and pieces of Kill Bill I've seen, I'm pretty sure I would hate that movie.

Jackie Brown is the only Tarantino movie I won't watch again. I thought it was incredibly boring.

You would probably like Kill Bill 1. I wouldn't recommend Kill Bill 2 if you thought the first one was boring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back