Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it for folks who can take it or leave it with TM?

I'll say this - if you aren't a Terrence Malik fan going into the film, you probably won't leave the theater being one. However, if you like Malik in some instances, you'll probably like this film. If you LOVE Malik, then you'll drool all over this and want to make babies with it, as many critics have seemed to do.

I fell into the middle category. You basically have to see it on the big screen to appreciate it though.

I've yet to be bitten by the Terrence Malik bug. I did like Badlands when I saw it but that movie doesn't have the endless "wind blowing through the trees" pauses of Thin Red Line or The New World. Then again, I just watched Return to Sleepaway Camp this weekend and I am inexplicably haunted by that film and it's "star performance" by this kid..

return-to-sleepaway-camp_alan.jpg

return-to-sleepaway-camp-wet.jpg

return-to-sleepaway-camp-alan.jpg

Your top 25 movies in order, based on BOTH your personal preference and technical rating. (for example, in terms of film making, I can't say a movie like...let's say American History X, is better than The Godfather, but I personally enjoyed AHX more)

Mine for now is:

LOTR: The Return of the King - 9.5
The Shawshank Redemption - 9.0
Saving Private Ryan - 9.0
Toy Story 2 - 9.0
LOTR: The Two Towers 9.0
Gladiator - 8.5
Oldboy - 8.5
Fight Club - 8.5
Toy Story - 8.5
The Prestige - 8.5
American Gangster - 8.5
City of God - 8.5
The Departed - 8.5
Inglourious Basterds - 8.5
Glory - 8.0 (lol Morgan Freeman looks the same in this movie as he does today)
Leon: The Professional - 8.0
Boyz 'n the Hood - 8.0
Training Day - 8.0
Remember the Titans - 8.0
The Boondock Saints - 8.0 (Sigh, the sequel almost tarnished the great legacy)
The Sandlot - 8.0 (I expect to see this on EVERYONE'S top 25)
Kung Fu Hustle - 8.0
Bad Boys 2 - 7.5
Friday - 7.5
Good Burger - 7.0

List is subject to change, I'm sure I left out some of my older favorites.

KamikaZ, I know you're going to be tempted to list more than 25, but try your very best, discipline, my friend, discipline. :)

Creeping-Cruds;735168Then again said:
http://bullshish.com/chenders/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/return-to-sleepaway-camp_alan.jpg[/IMG]
return-to-sleepaway-camp-wet.jpg

return-to-sleepaway-camp-alan.jpg

The greatest Sleepaway Camp performance is by the character "RIFF" in SC 3. THAT was a performance unlike any I've ever seen. :lol:

The greatest Sleepaway Camp performance is by the character "RIFF" in SC 3. THAT was a performance unlike any I've ever seen. :lol:

Riff is the NWA looking kid with the radio right? LOL. He was good but not "Alan" good. I'm serious, that kid has some skills!
Did you see the thread were Titanbuoy revealed that he dated Arab for a while. woop woop

You should make this a new thread

Your top 25 movies in order, based on BOTH your personal preference and technical rating. (for example, in terms of film making, I can't say a movie like...let's say American History X, is better than The Godfather, but I personally enjoyed AHX more)

Mine for now is:

LOTR: The Return of the King - 9.5
The Shawshank Redemption - 9.0
Saving Private Ryan - 9.0
Toy Story 2 - 9.0
LOTR: The Two Towers 9.0
Gladiator - 8.5
Oldboy - 8.5
Fight Club - 8.5
Toy Story - 8.5
The Prestige - 8.5
American Gangster - 8.5
City of God - 8.5
The Departed - 8.5
Inglourious Basterds - 8.5
Glory - 8.0 (lol Morgan Freeman looks the same in this movie as he does today)
Leon: The Professional - 8.0
Boyz 'n the Hood - 8.0
Training Day - 8.0
Remember the Titans - 8.0
The Boondock Saints - 8.0 (Sigh, the sequel almost tarnished the great legacy)
The Sandlot - 8.0 (I expect to see this on EVERYONE'S top 25)
Kung Fu Hustle - 8.0
Bad Boys 2 - 7.5
Friday - 7.5
Good Burger - 7.0

List is subject to change, I'm sure I left out some of my older favorites.

KamikaZ, I know you're going to be tempted to list more than 25, but try your very best, discipline, my friend, discipline. :)

This came out yesterday, you guys should check it out.

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tfTE2eKggtc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Warlords

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOr8Dj1PxJg

It's the loosely based story of the rise and fall of General Ma Xinyi (Jet Li) along with his 2 blood brothers, who swore an oath to each other (Andy Lau and Takeshi Kaneshiro), and the Taiping Rebellion during The Qing Dynasty in China.

This was truly a great tale of brotherhood, loyalty, heroism and the dark side of politics, and how it can destroy even the strongest of brotherhoods. And it was all greatly portrayed on the big screen.

Jet Li actually had to act in this movie and pleasantly surprised me by showing that he indeed does have acting skills. All 3 lead roles gave strong performances, with the most impressive one by Andy Lau. And just because I know you're curious, yes, Jet Li still does bust out some martial arts in the movie (I mean, common, you know the martial arts ain't going to be completely tamed no matter what movie it is), but it is limited and wasn't anything over the top and it did feel like it was in place.

All the battle scenes were very well directed, beautifully shot, and very intense and brutal. One of the biggest highlights was this very long, 20 minute battle that's up there on the level of the best battle scenes you see in American cinema, and it really does make you go "wow, Chinese cinema is really taking off."

Going back to the story, the director does a great job of making you actually care about the three blood brothers, who each has a different political view as the story progresses more and more. It really was engaging to watch because each blood brother's view will have certain points you'll agree with and you can never fully decide on who you'd completely side with. From start to finish, the director was able to make an emotional connection with the audience of portraying this tale, from brotherhood's rise to the brotherhood's downfall, being able to make you feel sympathy.

Not sure if still is, but when it came out, it was the biggest budget a Chinese movie ever had and they definitely made the most of it. If you have any interest in Asian cinema, and not just for a bunch of kung fu, look no futher.

8/10

Horrible Bosses - 7/10

Met my expectations and I had quite a few laughs. In a summer of weak movies, this is probably the second (maybe first) best comedy. Bridesmaids is still probably the funniest... Though it felt like a chick flick too often.

Hobo With A Shotgun - There was a time when movies weren't afraid to go all out, to explore the ravenous reaches of our violent centers. There was a time when filmmakers had to be creative because while their technological tools were sometimes merely blunt objects, they still got the job done without a s*** load of computers doing the work for them. And most of all, there was a time when movies were just balls-to-the-f******-wall fun. They didn't have competent actors or a well-honed script to be good. They simply had enough good humor and genuinely crazy ideas to work. There was a time when movies were bad, but they were bad the way eating a box full of fried Oreos is bad.

Hobo With A Shotgun is a bad film. It's bad to it's core. It borrows from cardboard cutout themes, it has a serious lack of direction or even rational coherence. Its look is severely washed out and literally says in the beginning "Color Brought To You By Technicolor". It has lines about literally raping a hobo with an ice skate and washing off one's blood with another's, well blood. And all of it's delivered with delirious seriousness. This film is bad, but it's terribleness is at a level that only Troma and Canon Films could fall down to the floor and weep at it's greatness.

I won't waste time talking about the plot, because the title alone gives you all the information you could ever need. And if you're reading my review, you've probably already gotten the gist of it anyway from internet buzz alone. It ain't Shakesphere, but if you're allured by the title, then strap the hell in. The world that Eisner has created is one of pure butchery - a city hasn't appeared this apocalyptic since a Mad Max film, or Death Wish III, or real life Jersey City. And the lone beacon of hope is Rutger Hauer wearing a grey grizzly bear sweatshirt and mumbling ramblings of various non-sense. Make no mistake - Hauer's hobo is a legitimately crazy dude here , and I applaud the decision to not make him some world-weary, down-on-his-luck schmo. You can gather this guy is kinda nutty, but you like him all the same as he spouts his knowledge about bear behavior to the daughter-he-never-had prostitute.

I won't bore you with details here. You're either going to be drawn to this film, or you're going to be reviled with it and roll your eyes. But if you want to see the bizarre love-child creation of The Toxic Avenger and some early Carpenter fare, then see this film. And while the film does have some legitimate drawbacks - most specifically some really amateur shots by the cinematographer and a conclusion that is just a tad bit disappointing compared to the 70 minutes that came before it - it is surely a film that is worth your time just for being a throwback to the bat s*** crazy.

4.5/5

Hobo With A Shotgun - There was a time when movies weren't afraid to go all out, to explore the ravenous reaches of our violent centers. There was a time when filmmakers had to be creative because while their technological tools were sometimes merely blunt objects, they still got the job done without a s*** load of computers doing the work for them. And most of all, there was a time when movies were just balls-to-the-f******-wall fun. They didn't have competent actors or a well-honed script to be good. They simply had enough good humor and genuinely crazy ideas to work. There was a time when movies were bad, but they were bad the way eating a box full of fried Oreos is bad.

Hobo With A Shotgun is a bad film. It's bad to it's core. It borrows from cardboard cutout themes, it has a serious lack of direction or even rational coherence. Its look is severely washed out and literally says in the beginning "Color Brought To You By Technicolor". It has lines about literally raping a hobo with an ice skate and washing off one's blood with another's, well blood. And all of it's delivered with delirious seriousness. This film is bad, but it's terribleness is at a level that only Troma and Canon Films could fall down to the floor and weep at it's greatness.

I won't waste time talking about the plot, because the title alone gives you all the information you could ever need. And if you're reading my review, you've probably already gotten the gist of it anyway from internet buzz alone. It ain't Shakesphere, but if you're allured by the title, then strap the hell in. The world that Eisner has created is one of pure butchery - a city hasn't appeared this apocalyptic since a Mad Max film, or Death Wish III, or real life Jersey City. And the lone beacon of hope is Rutger Hauer wearing a grey grizzly bear sweatshirt and mumbling ramblings of various non-sense. Make no mistake - Hauer's hobo is a legitimately crazy dude here , and I applaud the decision to not make him some world-weary, down-on-his-luck schmo. You can gather this guy is kinda nutty, but you like him all the same as he spouts his knowledge about bear behavior to the daughter-he-never-had prostitute.

I won't bore you with details here. You're either going to be drawn to this film, or you're going to be reviled with it and roll your eyes. But if you want to see the bizarre love-child creation of The Toxic Avenger and some early Carpenter fare, then see this film. And while the film does have some legitimate drawbacks - most specifically some really amateur shots by the cinematographer and a conclusion that is just a tad bit disappointing compared to the 70 minutes that came before it - it is surely a film that is worth your time just for being a throwback to the bat s*** crazy.

You need to review movies - as in professionally... On the side, at least, to whatever you're doing now.

In other words, kamikaZ, I think what everyone is trying to say is: you need
to get paid. :)

Very good stuff especially for a 23 year. (Based on your movie reviews alone, I would have guessed you were at least 40... that's a compliment btw)

You need your own show with a hot chick for your co-host, I'd tune in.

Saw the trailer for The Dark Knight Rises at Harry Potter tonight.

Mind was blown. Couple quick shots of Bane, looked great.
No sign of Catwoman.

I'm sure it is all over the net by now.

Honestly guys, you all are too flattering about my reviews. I'm glad people here enjoy them.

I'll probably be seeing Harry Potter this weekend. I suppose I'm expecting good things based on the trailer and reviews.

watched Horrible Bosses last moon. it was pretty good, man those guys were dumb. I loved Jennifer Anistons role and body. i never seen her in that role before, needs works but it's nice hearing her talk like that! overall good movie but still doesnt stand up to 40 year old virgin or Old School. 7.5/10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back