Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hacksaw RIdge

Good war movie. Not the best ever but still pretty real good.
Nice seeing Mel Gibson with another soild movie. Vince Vaughn got to say something like 'Doss is up there and the Japs are on his arse'. Which was nice.

Hacksaw RIdge

Good war movie. Not the best ever but still pretty real good.
Nice seeing Mel Gibson with another soild movie. Vince Vaughn got to say something like 'Doss is up there and the Japs are on his arse'. Which was nice.

Did not like. Suffered from the Idiot Plot trope, as in protagonist could not simply say to anyone "I AM A DOCTOR. I TOOK AN OATH NOT TO KILL." Roll credits.
Also, looks like Andrew Garfiled is on his way to being the next Kirk Cameron judging by the roles he's been taking.

Watched Creed last night. Was better than I expected. It was a little hokey at points and I'm not a huge fan of Michael B. Jordan, but it was worth a watch if you like the Rocky movies.

The timeline didn't make a whole lot of sense. Creed's son would have been born, best case scenario, in 1986. The movie is set in 2015. No one in their right mind would waste their time on 29-year-old amateur fighter. That bothered me more than it should have.

7.5/10.

I like it, straighten'em up Tweezy!
Lol it was funny

Never tried for the w4m chics, damn hoes. There was two, one milf and one younger barely legal girl. I just emailed em asking why they want a chic with a fake dick when they can have mine. Within a week they had it.

tl;dr- GITS has been unfairly dismissed; ignore ratings and judge for yourself.

So it's been a couple of weeks, and Ghost In The Shell has been severely panned. I am not alone in saying that this is unfair treatment.
1- the theme is cyberpunk dystopia, so the target demographic is pretty small.
2- that target demographic expected a live action mirror of the 1996 anime with no changes. They were disappointed that some of the existentialist philosophy was traded in for a more coherent storyline. To be fair, the existentialism wasn't pared down, but made much more concise to reach a wider American audience. Many of the most beautifully artistic and iconic scenes of the original were duplicated respectfully but had a different context to reflect the changes in the story line. I found none oc the changes offensive in any way.
3- a large percentage of that target demographic also happen to be SJWs, so they were absolutely not going to accept a white woman portraying a racially neutral cyborg with a Japanese name. If they had actually watched the film, they would see that this issue was dealt with both very reasonably and very respectfully. Also, from what I've heard and read so far in critic articles and podcasts, the panners are people who have no knowledge or interest in the source material; they're simply kneejerking over a perceived social injustice that doesn't actually exist.

I watched both versions within a week of each other, and I thought that the changes made were both respectful and necessary to bring the franchise to American audiences (and beyond). The scenery was stunning; heavy in CGI to be sure, but appropriate for the story's theme and probably enjoyable by anyone here not named Deuce, Cruds or Alex; still, for me, it's hard to top the anime's cityscape montage scene where Motoko is observing humanity in the city and trying to understand what her identity is among them. Hardcore fans may take exception to a perceived "dumbing down" of the script, but given our current sociopolitical climate-dominated by the lowest common denominator, just as Mike Judge predicted- you can understand why the convoluted and politically jargony original script had to be modified from the one written by a considerably more educated culture. Those changes aren't clumsy or offensive, and certainly not enough to complain about when we consider what Disney has done to all of their source material throughout their history.

So, this is the one time I am suggesting that you completely ignore RT and IMDB scores, because I feel quite certain that they are unfairly applied, and with extreme prejudice.

You know I roundly ignore RT and IMDB.. but this film...? lol

I did mention that you would be one of three to hate it. Nailed it. I'm guessing that besides all the other issues, you would probably take exception the obvious Frankenstein theme.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back