Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just because kids see them as a role model doesn't truly make them one.

I went with my class as a teenager down to the local prison to have a few of the inmates speak to us about staying on the good side of the law. They weren't role models any more than Pacman is...

Starkiller said:
Just because kids see them as a role model doesn't truly make them one.
Explain this one to me because I ain't buyin'. If a kid sees him as a role model. He's a role model to that kid.

Why not bring up Bob the Bagboy in front of the kids then to talk about living drug-free?

It's because athletes, entertainers, etc. are admired. They command attention. They are paid millions to endorse products for a reason.

Perception vs reality. Yes, some people perceive celebrities as role models. That doesn't mean they really are role models.

Just because I think my toaster oven is God and I start praying to it, that doesn't really make it God...

Statement by Pacman, reported on May 9, 2006: <blockquote>"I really don't give a (expletive) about what a lot of people say and that is really what my attitude is right now. I am just trying to be a role model for the people that love me. I can't worry about what the media and other people are saying because if I do that I definitely won't be mentally strong."</blockquote> http://tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060509/SPORTS01/605090366

Starkiller said:
Perception vs reality. Yes, some people perceive celebrities as role models. That doesn't mean they really are role models.

Just because I think my toaster oven is God and I start praying to it, that doesn't really make it God...
:lol:

Beauty can be in the eye of the beholder yet who their role models are can't be?

I think we are debating a fine line here. If people perceive a celeb being a role model then, to that person, they are a role model.

I once had a great four slicer I was more fond of than I should have been. I haven't found one which could brown bagals as evenly since.

If you look at someone as a role model, then they are your role model. They are the model you use to shape the role you want to play in life.

I don't see any gray area there. It has nothing to do with believing a toaster is anything else.

You make someone your role model by watching them and what they stand for, and then living your life by that model.

OK then, for the sake of avoiding an argument on wording, can we at least agree that entertainers should not be considered role models?

BTW, I loved that Toaster. Don't blaspheme the Toaster.. :ha:

Hoffa said:
You make someone your role model by watching them and what they stand for, and then living your life by that model.
That's fine, but who has been living their life like the model that Pacman Jones has set out?

I think there's confusion here between being a fan of a player and considering them your role model...

Tuckfro42 said:
I'm so sick of celebrities who strive for fame and fortune whining about not wanting to be a "role model."
barkleymug_shrunk.jpg

"I AM NOT A ROLE MODEL"

Starkiller said:
OK then, for the sake of avoiding an argument on wording, can we at least agree that entertainers should not be considered role models?
Without a doubt. But that ain't the way it works.

IMO, fans make a mistake when they invest themselves personally, emotionally in professional ATHLETES or ENTERTAINERS. They have achieved a level of "greatness" as a skilled athlete, singer, actor, etc and HAVE NOT achieved "greatness" as a professional MORAL or ETHICAL icon.

Personally, I do not hold any professional ATHLETE or ENTERTAINER to any obligation to be anything other than what they achieved their "greatness" in. I don't pay them to be a "solid citizen", I pay them to perform what they have been trained in. IMO, it's not right for ME (and fans collectively) to judge or malign them because the ATHLETE/ENTERTAINER'S personal code of behavior doesn't jibe with what I feel is correct. I strongly feel it is presumptous to "judge" them for this reason.

Just because they are successful in a skill that promotes them into the limelight DOES NOT obligate them to behave personally to match the standards. Heck, you can't please everybody anyway. If someone is dissatisfied with the ATHLETE/ENTERTAINER'S personal behavior they should stop supporting them with jersey/ticket etc. sales and they will fade out of the spotlight.

FIGHT ON PAC MAN!

Riverman said:
IMO, fans make a mistake when they invest themselves personally, emotionally in professional ATHLETES or ENTERTAINERS.
I fully agree. But that isn't very realistic when a player is a key part of the team you are invested in. I don't know how fun it would be to be a fan of any team without wanting to connect with the players on that team.

They have achieved a level of "greatness" as a skilled athlete, singer, actor, etc and HAVE NOT achieved "greatness" as a professional MORAL or ETHICAL icon.
Yet they do have influence over many; especially kids. These guys don't have the maturity yet and are influenced by a number of different things.

Personally, I do not hold any professional ATHLETE or ENTERTAINER to any obligation to be anything other than what they achieved their "greatness" in. I don't pay them to be a "solid citizen", I pay them to perform what they have been trained in.
But what about when you were 10? You don't point to an athlete and say "he's my role model" but you find you listen to just about anything the athlete says or does. If you didn't do that as a child, then you are among the minority.

I don't think it's even worth debating. Professional athletes influence most kids. With that comes an obligation, IMO.

IMO, it's not right for ME (and fans collectively) to judge or malign them because the ATHLETE/ENTERTAINER'S personal code of behavior doesn't jibe with what I feel is correct. I strongly feel it is presumptous to "judge" them for this reason.
I won't judge an athlete if he doesn't place himself in a situation where he clearly wants to be "a voice", influence, role model, etc. I chalk 99% of Pacman's issues to being a rich young man who has some growing up to do mentally. But once he takes that step to becoming a role model, then that carries with it responsibilities. And those include his actions even when he isn't wearing the "role model" hat.

Just because they are successful in a skill that promotes them into the limelight DOES NOT obligate them to behave personally to match the standards.
It does when they reach out to become a role model as Pacman obviously has. Mixed messages creates confusion. The old "don't do what I do but do what I say" statement comes to mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back