Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
TitanJeff said:
Where in anything have I said he is a bad person? I haven't.

This is about how he feels that he is being somehow judged unfairly. I don't see the double-standard some speak of here.

When you are involved in stuff, fans will judge. Whether right or wrong, it is the way it is.

You disputed that he may be a good person. Saying "define good person". Then went on to list questions that would dispute his being a good person. If you dispute him being a good person or argue against the point you are in fact calling him a bad person. Saying his actions don't line up those of a good person. If he's not good, then he must be bad. Not a good person = bad person. Your opinion is your opinion, but is based on some weak issues.

TitanJeff said:
I fully agree. But that isn't very realistic when a player is a key part of the team you are invested in. I don't know how fun it would be to be a fan of any team without wanting to connect with the players on that team.

Yet they do have influence over many; especially kids. These guys don't have the maturity yet and are influenced by a number of different things.

But what about when you were 10? You don't point to an athlete and say "he's my role model" but you find you listen to just about anything the athlete says or does. If you didn't do that as a child, then you are among the minority.

I don't think it's even worth debating. Professional athletes influence most kids. With that comes an obligation, IMO.

I won't judge an athlete if he doesn't place himself in a situation where he clearly wants to be "a voice", influence, role model, etc. I chalk 99% of Pacman's issues to being a rich young man who has some growing up to do mentally. But once he takes that step to becoming a role model, then that carries with it responsibilities. And those include his actions even when he isn't wearing the "role model" hat.

It does when they reach out to become a role model as Pacman obviously has. Mixed messages creates confusion. The old "don't do what I do but do what I say" statement comes to mind.

If as an adult we are not happy about how a 10 year might interpret/adopt the behavior, then WE as an adult are obligated to help that child "correctly" process that ATHLETE/ENTERTAINER'S behavior. The onus (imo responsibility) is on parents or concerned adults to guide the kids- not for the parents/adults to malign the athlete b/c he or she doesn't meet the personal code of behavior the adult wants. Talk to the kid, don't buy a jersey, tell the kid Pac is a good football player but doesn't behave well b/c of XYZ.

TitanJeff said:
But what about when you were 10? You don't point to an athlete and say "he's my role model" but you find you listen to just about anything the athlete says or does. If you didn't do that as a child, then you are among the minority.

I don't think it's even worth debating. Professional athletes influence most kids. With that comes an obligation, IMO.

Still, you're judging a person based on a level of attention he did not bring on himself. Do you hold Bill Gates or Donald Trump to the same standards, or do they get a pass because they're not in the medias spotlight constantly?

TitanJeff said:
I won't judge an athlete if he doesn't place himself in a situation where he clearly wants to be "a voice", influence, role model, etc. I chalk 99% of Pacman's issues to being a rich young man who has some growing up to do mentally. But once he takes that step to becoming a role model, then that carries with it responsibilities. And those include his actions even when he isn't wearing the "role model" hat.

I don't agree with this line of thinking at all. You're basically saying if you can't be a 100% good role model, don't even bother trying. It's better to be a 100% a**hole, than 50% good role model?

Ohh and as Riverman pointed out, just because you're an influence on kids doesn't give you responsibility that is in fact that of the parents. The same actually goes for the video game violence debate, video games don't have to be good role models either, it's up to the parents to be good role models and teach their kids right and wrong.

Starkiller said:
I don't see why people get so worked up over Pacman. I'm not overly attached to the guy, but I'm confused as to why everyone seem so prepared to crucify him already...
Perhaps you've forgotten the 2005 NFL Draft and that great "first impression" Pacman gave us. I'm from New York, and we LOVE to root for the underdog, but that display might have turned off a few.

I'm sure Pacman has turned a few people off of him. But I don't see the reason for such hatred...

Hell, I was pissed off at him when he couldn't catch a punt. I don't really care if he's at an Exxon station at 2am...

Starkiller said:
I'm sure Pacman has turned a few people off of him. But I don't see the reason for such hatred...

Hell, I was pissed off at him when he couldn't catch a punt. I don't really care if he's at an Exxon station at 2am...

i agree, what he does on the field is what i worry about, what ever he does off field is none of my concern, it is his life and I have no right in judging it. I just don't want him to miss time on the field because of what he does off the field.

jaydog said:
You disputed that he may be a good person. Saying "define good person". Then went on to list questions that would dispute his being a good person. If you dispute him being a good person or argue against the point you are in fact calling him a bad person. Saying his actions don't line up those of a good person. If he's not good, then he must be bad. Not a good person = bad person. Your opinion is your opinion, but is based on some weak issues.
Hold on. Just because someone might not be a choir boy makes them bad?

I'd guess 99% of us then are "bad people" according to you.

All I am saying is anyone who steps in front of children with a message needs to practice what they preach.

TitanJeff said:
Hold on. Just because someone might not be a choir boy makes them bad?

I'd guess 99% of us then are "bad people" according to you.

All I am saying is anyone who steps in front of children with a message needs to practice what they preach.

In reference to Pac, his main message is "stay in elementary/high school". He did. He doesn't tell them not to hang out at the Exxon at 2am or buy a pimped up ride or even keep your temper under control.

Riverman said:
The onus (imo responsibility) is on parents or concerned adults to guide the kids- not for the parents/adults to malign the athlete b/c he or she doesn't meet the personal code of behavior the adult wants.
I am 100% behind this statement except you are assuming the parents always know who their child idolizes.

Vigsted said:
Still, you're judging a person based on a level of attention he did not bring on himself. Do you hold Bill Gates or Donald Trump to the same standards, or do they get a pass because they're not in the medias spotlight constantly?
Hold up. Pacman didn't create the negative press we've been seeing? Who did?

I don't agree with this line of thinking at all. You're basically saying if you can't be a 100% good role model, don't even bother trying. It's better to be a 100% a**hole, than 50% good role model?
Right. If you don't live the life you are telling others to live, I don't want or need your message. It sends mixed signals.

It's up to the parents to be good role models and teach their kids right and wrong.
I agree 100%. So why have atheletes and entertainers come to school to share their message?

Gunny said:
i agree, what he does on the field is what i worry about, what ever he does off field is none of my concern, it is his life and I have no right in judging it. I just don't want him to miss time on the field because of what he does off the field.
Would you feel the same if Pac came to your son's fifth-grade class to talk?

At this point, I think both sides pretty much know where the other stands. My comments are not directed as much towards Pacman as anyone who influences kids from teachers, coaches, ministers, etc. If they don't live the life they preach, then I have no use for them because kids aren't stupid. They DO believe it's okay to do whatever that role model does because their parents, teachers, etc. allowed the athlete or entertainer to speak to them in the first place. It is an endorsement. It can damage more than it helps.

I think some of you might change your tune a bit one day when you have an impressionable child of your own who, regardless of as much direction you try to give them as to role models, latches on to someone you don't feel is genuine in living their life the way they tell others to live.

So I'm letting this go with the hope Pacman, and others, do take their responsibilities seriously and do their best to make a positive difference.

I'd enroll in 5th grade just for the visit.
Schools use discretion when it comes to something like that. If I was the parent that was outraged about it, I might be inclined to think that I was the one with the problem. I think some of you underestimate just how stupid the average 22 year old man is.

TitanJeff said:
Would you feel the same if Pac came to your son's fifth-grade class to talk?

I'd be scared...that I have a son and he is already in the 5th grade...:brow:

But yes I would feel the same because I know Pacman would say all the right things that is expected of him to say, just like T.O or Chopper Reed would say that right things if they visited regardless if Pacman believes what he says.

TitanJeff said:
I am 100% behind this statement except you are assuming the parents always know who their child idolizes.

And you are assuming that the parents are in the picture. Wasn't Pacman speaking at a Boys and Girls club? I wonder how many of those kids have both parents in the picture? I have worked in inner-city Nashville, and very few kids know their fathers, and those that do know they are in prison. To these kids, when Pacman comes to spend time with them and talk to them, he becomes more of a role model than their parents ever will be. Right or wrong, when an athelete or celebrity makes the effort to reach out to kids, he/she takes the place of an absent parent.

Tuckfro42 said:
To these kids, when Pacman comes to spend time with them and talk to them, he becomes more of a role model than their parents ever will be. Right or wrong, when an athelete or celebrity makes the effort to reach out to kids, he/she takes the place of an absent parent.
pacman_slide1.jpg

:applause:

Sidebar:

should celebrities in particular be considered role models when they use their celebrity status to spout off about topics not related to their profession.

Think Susan Sherandon or Meathead

I say once they try to leverage their celebrity status outside their professional careers they ask for and deserve everything that they get as far as fan reaction and feedback - good or bad.

I would also include Athletes as celebrities.

Brian said:
You guys thought the Woolfolk "debate" was a waste of time???

:drool:
stalker1.GIF

Dear Lisa
Thankyou for awakening me by putting my
name in your home page... I will be visiting
your real home when you least expect it...
As you have seen on TV, I can get home
addresses from hompages because I am
THE CYBERSTALKER​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back