Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think bus cook bears a lot of this blame game. Here's my understanding of what actually happened.
1. Mcnair hadn't been training at the facility for over 3 months.
2. The Titans called bus cook and told him "Hey let's keep Mac out of the facility until we work this thing out"
3. Bus cook then called steve and said "Steve I want you to go over to the facility and try to work out . I have a hunch they aren't going to let you into the facility."
4. Mac goes to the facility not really knowing what is going on and is told "now steve you know we can't let you in here"
5. Mac is blindsided by this and gives Bus permission to go to the media
6. Bus starts a bunch of negative publicity in the media
7. Both sides now harbor bad feelings toward the other
But reguardless of that Mcnair is ALREADY a raven (In his Mind) Therefore Mcnair can kiss my butt too!

TitanJeff said:
I totally agree with you and felt for a long time that this was how it was going to play out. But you or I don't know what the Titans offered. According to rumors, it basically took the $10 mil he'd get this year and spread it out over a three-year deal and not guarantee him anything after '06.

What that means is he plays for $3.5 - $4 in '06 and is then gone. Why should he accept that when he has a contract now for $10 mil or gets $12 mil if he goes to Baltimore?

Yeah, you're right I have no idea what we offered. I don't understand why we can't guarantee him 4 mill/yr for 2 years, then back-up money yearly after that. My only guess is that the FO thinks we have just as good a chance at a run without him.

I'm apparently one of the few that holds out hope the above type deal will be offered and accepted. I think we have a better chance at run with him starting for us for another year and a half.

Sledge said:
you know what i mean, replace renegotiate by restructure.
I know exactly what you mean. BUT HE CAN NOT RESTRUCTURE HIS CONTRACT! It's isn't mathematically possible based on a standard restructure. He can only take a paycut, which he doesn't have any intention of doing. Nor should he.

flamehead2 said:
I think bus cook bears a lot of this blame game. Here's my understanding of what actually happened.
2. The Titans called bus cook and told him "Hey let's keep Mac out of the facility until we work this thing out"
3. Bus cook then called steve and said "Steve I want you to go over to the facility and try to work out . I have a hunch they aren't going to let you into the facility."
4. Mac goes to the facility not really knowing what is going on and is told "now steve you know we can't let you in here"
But reguardless of that Mcnair is ALREADY a raven (In his Mind) Therefore Mcnair can kiss my butt too!

#2 and #3 only happened in your mind. McNair was told he could not enter BSP before Cook was informed by the team.

McNair is not a rat-bird yet. I don't care if he sits around his house and wheres a gay purple jearsy he is not a scavanger until the deal is signed.

He was told by an assistant trainer he could not practice or work out at the Titans facility. That was pretty low class in my book. At least call him in and tell him face to face. Be a man about it.

Starkiller said:
Nor should he.
Then he can kiss my butt.
Baltimore is going to chew him up and spit him out in two years. You just watch and see Jon. Tennessee would otherwise keep him until he is nothing more than dust and bones they stroll out on a dolley each Sunday and prop up by the Gatorade bucket. No. Steve won't take a paycut... it's just too easy to take a massive dump :flush: on Nashville. He could open up a chicken joint or something on Broadway... take a cue from John Elway... I don't know... Steve has been too good to put his picture on a cereal box for years and now he's going to sell out to the :ravens: Please! Give me a break. No, he shouldn't have too, (take a paycut) but how can he be a Raven after all they (the Ravens) have taken from him?:evil:
Yeah, that playoff win went a LONG way to healing the loss from the 2000 meltdown... okay... last year's home win was sweet. Too bad we didn't win many apart from that... still... the Ravens are not the answer for Steve McNair. Steve McNair has a shot at a lasting legacy here... He could have a bust on the North Lawn of the Coliseum. You can't put a price on that kind of recognition... All it takes is for Steve to pick up a phone and call Bus... tell him to get a deal done somehow, some way... It can be a long term deal... it just has to be cheap... Money makes money. If Steve wants money, I can understand that... He can reap the rewards of Nashville celebrity for decades. Or he can be just another washed up Baltimore QB that nobody gives a crap about.

John-Unitas.jpg

The Chargers acquire legendary QB Johnny Unitas to replace John Hadl, and to tutor rookie Dan Fouts. However, there is no magic left in the legendary quarterback's arm as he completes just 34 passes for 471 yards. Fouts would take over, but would struggle with turnovers as the Chargers got off to a 1-6-1 start leading Harland Svare to step down as coach. His replacement Ron Waller would no do much better winning just 1 of 6 as the Chargers finished with a terrible 2-11-1 record.
This is how it will go for Steve...
Unitas was great. Even if he is a Colt... Unitas was a legend.
Steve is making a mistake.
Also, he's got at least a shot at the HOF staying with Tennessee...
I don't want to see Steve hit the same pitfalls Eddie did.
What happened to Eddie, Jon? Huh?
He had a long productive career in Dallas, huh?

That Raven uni should make Steve McNair sick.
The thought of Steve in it does me.

With both Steve and Vince... Titans could have the real rings.

It's too bad it's going to take Baltimore to prove to Steve that Steve is not as good as Steve thinks he is.

Starkiller said:
#2 and #3 only happened in your mind. McNair was told he could not enter BSP before Cook was informed by the team.
You are dead wrong about that and if you believe it you are a victim of Bus cooks Media Baloney!
It happened exactly as i described it.

flamehead2 said:

Somewhat of the scenario that I think happened. Not exactly... maybe without the #2 and #3 steps. However, Bus definitely wanted the media to blow this out of proportion. I have heard that lockouts happen all the time with players who are going through re-negs. Maybe alot of those players are not as high profile as Mac, but they do happen. The lockouts are part of the business side of the sport. Maybe they didn't call Mac to let him know before he showed up because they didn't expect him to workout or practice anyways. It's not like he is the most committed to working out and practicing. I think that he has been evaluating his future with the Titans since the talk of drafting a top QB in the draft began. He knows that with the Titans' new QB, he doesn't have a future here as the starter for much longer than a year. He loves the sport and wants to show everyone that his surgery last year has given some years back to his play. I think that he is putting more value to himself than he's worth now. Yes, he made it to the Pro Bowl last year as a 4th place backup in the AFC, but shouldn't he have been closer to 2nd place? Oh, maybe it was our WRs faults... or the Oline... Maybe the Titans were lacking one more good WR. Everyone double teamed Bennett last season, leaving Kinney and an injury prone Calico as the only players with more than 2 years under their belt. I agree that having McNair back this season would mean a winning season. However, I think that having Volek as the starter could produce the same results without as much of a salary cap hit. Let's use the money for another vet Olineman and 1 or 2 DBs. I think that's the best use for it. My 2 cents...

flamehead2 said:
You are dead wrong about that and if you believe it you are a victim of Bus cooks Media Baloney!
It happened exactly as i described it.
I have heard that as well. Channel 5 (Sportsline) in Nashville mentioned that he was called BEFORE McNair went to BSP.

skitch said:
I have heard that as well. Channel 5 (Sportsline) in Nashville mentioned that he was called BEFORE McNair went to BSP.

I haven't heard that... maybe flamehead2 was right... maybe I was giving Cook too much credit... maybe he is the devil on McNair's shoulder! :ha:

Sledge said:
your assessment of reese is wrong. why? he put himself, mcnair and the organization by giving the house to fred miller after losing runyan to free agency. a year later he panicked again, givng brad hopkins the house in fear of losing him too. then he gave up a first rounder for kevin carter, and in turn gave the house to carter too. offensive line is important, but you don't need to overspend to keep it afloat, which is what reese did.

hey, some will say he had to do it to protect mcnair, make sure george still had holes, we he went about it the wrong way. fred miller was a big dud in st. louis and he was with us too. where's miller now? picking fights with teammates. where's hopkins now?

in the nfl, you build through the draft and key fa signings without overpaying. david givens provides a dilemma. he's exactly the type of WR who is a good find on the FA market. but at his price? too expensive. the team will restructure his contract too, starting next year, and eventually he'll be cut too.

i just hope reese manages bulluck's salary well, cuz he'll cost big $$$ startin in 07. sirmon is sure to be cut next year when we start having some cap issues again.

if mcnair was worth $10 mil against the cap this year, we wouldn't even be talking here. there would be no steve mcnair can kiss my butt thread. but that's the reality of the nfl. salaries aren't guaranteed, but they can cause major headaches.
Well, you may be right about Miller, Runyon, etc......I am no cap expert (nor is anyone on this board).

What you wrote very well could be the case....that is YOUR ASSESSMENT.....or OPINION, just like what I wrote was my opinion. That doesn't make my "assessment of Reese wrong", you DISAGREE with it because you have a different opinion. That is what we do here.

As far as everything else you said....I agree.
I said in another thread that I think if we are not in SuperBowl contention when it is Bullucks time....he will be outta here so fast it will make your head spin.

Again, it's an opinion.

The Titans called Bus Cook and told him "Hey let's keep Mac out of the facility until we work this thing out"...then...
Bus Cook then calls Steve McNair and says, "Steve I want you to go over to the facility and try to work out . I have a hunch they aren't going to let you into the facility."
Bus Cook can kiss my butt too.
satan_saddam-743045.jpg

Bus Cook and his main squeeze.:evil:

SEC 330 BIPOLAR said:
Baltimore is going to chew him up and spit him out in two years. You just watch and see Jon.
So what? We'd spit him out in 1 year...

Steve won't take a paycut...
Why should he when he knows he can get more money on the open market? This isn't the case of a player who has to either take a pay cut or get released and settle for minimal money elsewhere. He'll get big money from the Ravens.

and now he's going to sell out to the :ravens: Please! Give me a break. No, he shouldn't have too, (take a paycut) but how can he be a Raven after all they (the Ravens) have taken from him?:evil:
That's a fan's thinking. The players don't generally see other teams that way. Especially not when his buddies Rolle and Mason are already there...

All it takes is for Steve to pick up a phone and call Bus... tell him to get a deal done somehow, some way... It can be a long term deal...
No, it can't. The Titans won't give him a long term deal that guarantees him anything past 2006. They only way he can stay is to take a paycut this year, and he'd be stupid to do that.

It would have been more appropriate for the team to notify Steve and Bus that until negotiations continued or improved that the FO felt it was in the best interest of all parties involved that Steve not workout at BSP due to liability concerns.

Then intentions would be clear prior to Steve arriving at the complex and there would have been no surprises

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back