Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think the Titans can afford to pay VY 50+ million dollars to sit on the bench much longer than this upcoming season,
regardless of what happens.

fitantitans said:
I'm not sure which way to look at this;
1. Are the Titans fans anti-Volek
2. Are the Titans fans pro-Young
Do the fans want Young to start because they are pro Young or because they are anti Volek. It's confusing reading some of these posts.
What Titans fans should be is <u>pro-Winning</u>. If Volek can get us to the playoffs, why would you pull him or possibly trade him? The only reasoning is, is so Young can take us to the playoffs. Doesn't make sense. Who cares who takes us to the playoffs as long as we get there. Why would you break up a winning combination?
Going into 2007 with 2 possible superstar QBs.....priceless!

EXACTLY......

Sunshine2 said:
What side of the ball do you think the Titans will draft in 2007?

I'm guessing Drew Bennett will want a contract similar to David Givens. Would you draft a WR in round 1 to replace Drew?
that is a very good question but it is impossible to answer at this point. We need to play out the season to identify the needs and that 1st round prospect needs to present itself. In short, I have no idea.

If he does great this year, WHY on earth would you trade/release him, especially if we get .500 or above. Vince Young will only get better by watching and gradually developing.

UNPROVEN, i'm pro-Young but if Volek plays well, we shouldn't throw him into the starting role until he's 100% ready.

Of course all this applies if Volek has a good season.

I think you can have two star qb's in our position. It's a lot like Steve Young and Joe Montana. My formula would go like this.

A. If Volek does not go to the playoffs - Young Starts year 2
B. If Volek goes to playoffs he starts until we no longer qualify for the playoffs, up to 3 years, at which time he will have proven he can take us no further if we never get to the superbowl.
C. 3 Straight years of Playoffs, no superbowl - Vince Young takes over in year 4.

I think it is fair to tell Vince Young and Billy Volek this is the plan. It's a fair shake for everyone involved in my opinion.

Now, if Volek makes the superbowl within 3 years, and qualifies for the playoffs all three years, I think it is fair to trade Vince Young at the end of year 3. Volek will be the man. And that's that.

One scenario that may be familair to all Titan fans is the Flutie, Rob Johnson playoff game. Where Flutie got the Bills to the playoffs, and Rob Johnson was asked to start the playoff game. He was horrible. As most of expected he would be. Even losing his damn shoe on the last drive. But the Titans could very well end up in that situation a la Hostetler and Rob Johnson. You never know. So Vince is nice to have back there.

Sure. We are paying Vince to hold the golden clipboard, but at the expense of a perennial playoff contender. It's a fair deal even at that price.

LazyManJackson said:
If he does great this year, WHY on earth would you trade/release him,
Salary cap.
If he does great, he's going to demand a big contract next year. Can't afford to put that much cap space for 2 QB's. The Montana/Young era was before the salary cap.
No one has a 50 million dollar backup QB.

Hard to tell what I would do because just getting a team to the playoffs doesn't neccesarily mean Volek's a keeper. If our defense plays lights out and our runnijng game is dominate Volek could be an average QB and get us to the playoffs. In that case trade Volek for sure. If we get to the playoffs because of Volek and he is putting up Manning type numbers you might not trade Volek for anything.

The other side of the coin is VYs development. If he is ready to go in 2007 or sooner the franchise is essentially already committed to him with his salary and draft postion. You have to put him in.

More than likely Volek is trade material because the only way I don't see it is if he puts up Manning or Brady type numbers.

No way do you pay a rookie $50 mil for five years and not play him until the fourth season. Even if Volek plays lights out, I don't see how Young isn't starting by '08 because the Titans won't resign him after '07.

No kidding. At the MOST, Volek can start two years. True, we might have to make a choice between Volek and Young then, and maybe we'd choose Volek if he's been lighting it up and Young hasn't quite grown up like we need him too.

And yes, getting to the playoffs doesn't mean it's Volek, but Volek should stay the starter at the beginning of next season if we make it to the playoffs and he's an asset, not something we overcome. I guess I'd say if he's got a top 10 passer rating he should remain the starter. Vince isn't going to light it up right out of the gate, keep Volek if he's successful.

Hoffa said:
Salary cap.
If he does great, he's going to demand a big contract next year. Can't afford to put that much cap space for 2 QB's. The Montana/Young era was before the salary cap.
No one has a 50 million dollar backup QB.

He is under contract through 2007 as it stands now.
Volek is scheduled to make base salaries of $1 million in 2006 and $1.25 million in 2007.

He is a bargain, if he performs well.

Hoffa said:
I don't think the Titans can afford to pay VY 50+ million dollars to sit on the bench much longer than this upcoming season,
regardless of what happens.
I don't know what McNairs contract was like the first two years in Houston. I do know that he sat on the bench and did nothing but learn.
As for Volek, from what I'm hearing from the other posters about this, his salary is locked in 2007, possibly 2008! The Titans are going to have to replace Volek if they trade him and basically pay the replacement QB the same amount owed to Volek.

The best we can hope for is a Drew Brees situation.... If he does well, VOlek will play for two years then will be traded when his contract is up.

fitantitans said:
As for Volek, from what I'm hearing from the other posters about this, his salary is locked in 2007, possibly 2008! The Titans are going to have to replace Volek if they trade him and basically pay the replacement QB the same amount owed to Volek.

But the point is if Volek as well as they are talking about he will demand a large contract, larger then we are willing to pay him with VY and larger thne we would pay a vet. back-up. Forget his contract as it is now, they're talking about what his extention would be

The end of the 2006 seaon is the only time we will have an opportunity to trade him.
And with his contract, we can only trade him if it suits him.
Volek does well, another team wants him, is willing to give up something to the Titans, and Volek likes the move, then maybe we get something.
If not, then either the Titans FO, or Volek and agent can veto a trade.
If we keep him through 2007, his contract expires, and we get nothing in trade.

But, the front office does not hold all the cards in any trade, and keeping Volek for two years is cheap and cap friendly.

If Volek's options were to either face a major competition for the job from Vince Young or be traded to a team in need of a QB, why would he stay and risk being demoted?

I would think that he would want to be traded.
Just like if he were a superstud performer this season, he would want to be traded to get his big payday from another team.

But just because he might want to be traded rather than be demoted in his last contract year does not mean that the FO wouldn't want to keep him his last contract year as a cheap quality backup.
It is too soon to tell what the different parties might want to do.
It depends on how well Volek performs. Injuries to Volek, Young, and other QBs in the league also may have an impact.
It will all likely be driven by factors we cannot know now.

But, we do know that Volek will not carry a big price tag for the Titans for the next two years.

On the contract issue, my understanding is that Billy is locked in thru 07...There was an option to keep him longer which the team didn't pick up.
As for a trade, Billy has to "approve" the trade or he can stay...Odd I know, but I'm just sure that's how it is...Whether he would start in 07, that's up to the coaches ( or maybe Bud )

Like any player, the two side could try to negoiate a new contract.

Starkiller said:
If Volek's options were to either face a major competition for the job from Vince Young or be traded to a team in need of a QB, why would he stay and risk being demoted?

and further devaluing is worth on the market

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back