Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.

archived

Prospect
LEGEND
Moola
Let me just state this up front, I’m a big Steve McNair fan. I still think he’s quite capable of leading a good team to the Super Bowl and in doing so playing at a pro bowl level. It’s apparent reading the many McNair based threads on the forum that this is a highly debatable opinion, but I realize it’s just that, my opinion, and the reason for this thread is not to discuss McNair’s viability as a big time starting QB in 2006. I just wanted to state that I’m a big McNair fan so you know where I’m coming from with the following thought.

I don’t know if I’ve been delusional or what (it wouldn’t be the first time), but I’ve never took seriously rumors of McNair’s eminent departure. I just figured even if we draft a QB, we’d need a vet to tutor the young signal caller and who better than old Stevie. But, now with the increasing likelihood that Matt Leinart will be there for the taking at 3, I don’t know if this is the case. If the Titans draft Leinart I think he should start, if not from day 1, then by game 4 or 5. This being said, there is no reason to keep what would be an unhappy and overpaid back-up in McNair around (regardless of his willingness to restructure his deal). Holy reality checks Batman! Suddenly I’m thinking the odds are much better than not that I’ve seen the last of Steve McNair it a Titans uniform.

If the Titans’ draft Matt is McNair done in Tennessee?

edit: I also should have asked if the Titans draft Matt how long until I start to spell Leinart correctly (I'm chronically poor with the whole i before e business)

Riverman said:
titans are not going to draft Leinart.:winker:

I hope you're right actually. As I said I think McNair can still get it done. I hope he restructures, then the Titans draft Ferguson and consider Omar Jacobs with the 7th pick in the second round. I know there's a need for a MLB and that seems to be a popular way to go with the second pick, but these days with the occasional exception that's not an every down position and an early second seems to be high a pick for that type of player... unless of course the front office is in love with a guy (like D'Qwell Jackson).

Honestly I wouldn't be too concerned if the Titans don't address the QB position at all in the draft (and I realize I'm in an unpopular minority in that view), But the reality is if Vegas was taking odds at this point I think Leinart would be the favourite to be the Titans' selection.

I wouldn't mind taking D'Brick. And I think Omar Jacobs could be there in the third, and if the FO doesn't think so then just take him in the 2nd. I also feel that we could go another year without drafting a QB, but I'd rather take Young or Leinart or Jacobs this year. I think Jacobs is really underrated. He had a down year this past season, but his number his sophomore year were outstanding at Bowling Green. He is similar to McNair and Young. No doubt Young is faster and more athletic, but I think Jacobs could become a perfect mold of McNair. I think Jacobs should have stayed for his senior season.

Ewker said:
I have said on here that if the Titans draft Young he stays, Leinart or Cutler and he is gone
I as well have made posts to this effect. I happen to agree with Ewker on this particular topic even though I have a liking for McNair myself where as my friend Ewker does not care for him much. I like the idea of more FA money and I am comfortable with the risk associated with w/l record suffering if there is the right supporting cast around Matt Leinart.
However, I view Matt Leinart as an injury risk more so than Vince Young regardless of his style of play but am convinced that he has a more refined set of tools than Jay Cutler even though there is a good possibility that Jay Cutler will find more success in the NFL over a five year period than Matt Leinart. All of that being said there is absolutely zero chance that Steve McNair is released because of an issue involving the draft pick. There is a remote possibilty that there could be an Eddie George type situation, but c'mon, how likely is that? Let me sum up this post by saying that if Vince Young is drafted...(which is what will happen no matter how many phone calls Jon Small puts into Floyd Reese...:super::ha::winker:) McNair will be the perfect mentor, and that is what a growing percentage of Titan fans and gotitans.com posters are coming to realize....
but just to clarify...just because Ewker and I have the same answer to the "if I was GM" type question here in this thread...that is what I'd do...meaning that if I drafted Leinart I'd deal McNair or other wise keep him for Young's mentor... but Floyd knows better than to think like me or Ewker.

theprizdfighter said:
Jacobs sophomore year he threw for 46 TD's to only 4 INT's!!!!

honestly, I like the idea of taking Brick and then snagging Omar

then again I like the idea of taking Vince then snagging Max Jean Giles

I do not think that we absolutely HAVE to take a LB with the 2nd pick

How anyone could possibly think that Cutler is ready to start his first year and Young isn't is beyond me (and reason).

Assuming that Leinart would be ready to step in at day 1 is making a lot of assumptions. You are assuming he doesn't hold out. You are assuming he can adapt to the speed of the NFL (something that many great qb's have not been able to do their first season). You are assuming that he won't be a bust.

Why assume ? Keep McNair and let him play when he's ready.

Titans2008 said:
How anyone could possibly think that Cutler is ready to start his first year and Young isn't is beyond me (and reason).

Assuming that Leinart would be ready to step in at day 1 is making a lot of assumptions. You are assuming he doesn't hold out. You are assuming he can adapt to the speed of the NFL (something that many great qb's have not been able to do their first season). You are assuming that he won't be a bust.

Why assume ? Keep McNair and let him play when he's ready.

Well put....I hope Mcnair stays for 2 or 3 more seasons. He's the reason this team has had so much success over the years. The more talent we add to our team the better he will be.

think of it like this ......

keeping McNair would cost us $24m

releasing / trading him would cost us $10

simple math

Leinart is no more ready to command an NFL offense than Cutler is
remember that Matt had enormous talent surrounding him

Jay had next to nobody surrounding him and played in the SEC

imo,....... it's a draw

Puck said:
think of it like this ......

keeping McNair would cost us $24m

releasing / trading him would cost us $10

simple math

Leinart is no more ready to command an NFL offense than Cutler is
remember that Matt had enormous talent surrounding him

Jay had next to nobody surrounding him and played in the SEC

imo,....... it's a draw

That sounds good in theory. Now tell me what we should do with that extra cap room that would be a better option than having McNair under center. All of the good FA's that would have been solid upgrades are gone.

As far as who is more ready to command an NFL offense, I can't tell you. But I can tell you that the players that played against the highest level of competition would have a better chance. Factor in that Leinart would only have to make small adjustments to his USC playbook and you have the reason that most feel that Leinart would be able to contribute more quickly than the other two. It certainly seems that he has less hurdles to jump, but it's far from a foregone conclusion at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back