Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
nendzone said:
.and I thought Henry also did a good job on one play just to get back to the line of scrimmage after the blocking broke down.

Well Brown doesn't get to use the excuse of poor blocking (see debate in another thread) so I won't extend that courtesy to Henry either. But you're right his goalline run(s) should probably not factor into the equation, but they don't really change his performance that much.

And just to get all the numbers out in the open, here are their respective runs:
Brown: 4, 2, 2, 3, 1, 5, 7, 21, 2
Henry: 0, 2, 9, 2, 3, 0, 1, 0, 5, 1

Just because they were playing behind the same line doesn't mean every play was blocked equally well.

What I think Henry does better than Brown is continue after first contact. It's why I think he can be a better short-yardage back for them.

Of course, White may ultimately be the best at that, with more big-play ability than Henry has.

i'm not picking on Bironas, I think he's a great Kickoff guy

He's showing himself to be a pretty good FG kicker, too. It's not like he had any problem with the other three kicks, when the snaps were not way too high. Even the 48-yarder was pretty much right down the center with room to spare.

It was a bad snap, and bad snaps lead directly to bad kicks. Especially when the kicker has to go for real distance and can't afford to have a hitch in his approach waiting for the holder to bring the ball back down.

Even Amato seemed to take the blame as they were coming off the field, when he slapped hands with Bironas.

SEC 330 BIPOLAR said:
that part about whether you thought Brown was on fire, (like Soxcat will likely say... :lol:) was adressed to anyone. If anything I guess I was directing that to titansfan10. It's not like you and I are PM'ing over this topic. Others are saying Brown was looking real good. I was unimpressed. I was not overly impressed with Vince Young either and you guys know how much I "likes me some Vince" ... Still just the same... from the stats I'm seeing he looks better on paper. I'm going to see if I can find his carry totals.. per carry... I know he had carries for practically nothing and that is what my selective memory is recalling for me.

Brown played fairly well. I'm not sure what fans expect? Brown carried on the first 4 plays the Titans ran and had runs of 4,2,2 and 3 before Voleks incomplete pass that resulted in their first punt. Browns 2nd run was a converted 2nd and 1 play after a 5 yard offsides play by the defense.

The next time the Titans had the ball Brown ran for 1 and 5 yards which left a reasonable 3rd and 4. Volek then had two complete passes before Brown's final two runs of 7 and 21 yards. In less than one quarter of play Brown had almost 50 yards rushing and we have fans saying they were not "overly impressed". I guess averaging over 5.0 yards per carry and being on pace for a 200 yard game isn't enough for some fans.

In regular season we will see if Brown can finish a game. If he can have 150+ yards and thirty carries that will be enough. He can't and he won't and that's why we have all these backs that will run by committee. Also, I was unimpressed by Brown. I was not "overly impressed" with Vince Young. One day, I would like the RB of this team to be high atop the fantasy draft lists, the Envy of half the leagues fans. That would be enough for me. Or maybe a twelve win season. I don't think I'd moan and fuss about our starting rb if we were coming off a 12 win season. That might be enough to get me off the "End the Chris Brown Era" party train. :lol:

SEC 330 BIPOLAR said:
One day, I would like the RB of this team to be high atop the fantasy draft lists, the Envy of half the leagues fans. That would be enough for me. Or maybe a twelve win season.

You want to be the envy of half the league's fans? A tewlve win season would take care of that.

At it'd be more than sufficient for me, right now. :rolleyes:

How about winning a championship? That's all that matters to me, NO, KC and SD can keep their fantasy runningbacks, I just want to win, and I believe Brown gives us a better a chance of that than any of the other runningbacks on our roster right now.

nendzone said:
I don't necessarily agree.

I do agree that Brown is faster through the hole and much more likely to rip off a 10+ yard run.

But a few of Henry's carries were tough, short runs inside the five (the first to convert a first down, then a no-gain from the 1, then a 1-yd TD), where YPC was not the point, and it's an area where Brown was not particularly strong last year...and I thought Henry also did a good job on one play just to get back to the line of scrimmage after the blocking broke down. IMO, that's the kind of play where Brown is more likely to get dropped for a loss.

I mostly liked what Henry did last night, and I think it complements Brown pretty well.

Wow that makes about 3 of us :lol:

I thought Chris played pretty well. Same old Chris really. Not getting a lot of yards after contact despite being 10 lbs heavier (I don't think he'll ever be a power runner), but he still does things well.

He's got great vision and can slip through small creases. Excellent blocker. He's not a very quick footed guy, but he has a great burst. Let's say he's a 5 speed transmission. 1st gear is ok. 2nd, 3rd, and 4th have great acceleration. 5th is ok like 1st, he doesn't have elite speed.

He's a really unique back, and I like what he brings especially with the styles of the other backs. I think we have to be willing to use each guy to their strengths most of the time and we'll have a good group of RB's imo....for awhile anyway.

I thought Brown did pretty good last night.

What concerned me most was when he came out after his 8th run and he was winded and looked hurt again.
He wasn't hurt, and did manage to return, but questions of his durability still exist.

I actually found myself thinking last night that Henry really does have his fire back. I'm going to count as 4, that Henry complemented Brown well. I would actually like to see a longer period where Henry goes against first team. Part of the issue is getting into that rhythm. Lendale is the X factor. Depending how he plays, he could make one of these guys expendable, for all we know.

Brown looked a little slow footed at first. Henry, and especially Payton, looked quicker. You can tell the added flexibility is helping Payton. I'm pretty sure he's not in danger. You never know, but he looks like he's perfectly fine as a 3rd RB. Not sure if Ganther can catch him. Ganther looked decent at first -- against trash. We'll see more of him.

And Fleming is going to have to return with some fire of his own.

There was alot to like in the game last night, but I was still concerned with alot of the dink and dunk type play calls. Lots of short timing-type passes. I like that a couple longer balls were thrown in and we had opportunity to gash the defense (but we didn't). Last year our offense was plagued with short gaining plays when we needed bigger plays, and it seems there's a lot of dink and dunk still on the menu. I also don't think Volek is particularly good at those types of short pass plays.

Agree that Reynaldo was getting picked on. Keon Raymond didn't show up well (at least I think he was getting beat several times including the TD).\

Special teams looked real good. I like that they had Pac back on punts. BTW, is it me or does he sortof have a tendency to trip up himself on kick/punt returns? He tripped himself up last night, and I recall some of that last year too.

I also wanted to mention that I noticed Jacob Bell with some key block on some of Brown's runs over the right. On Browns longest one he pulled around the right side and sealed off the alleyway. On another of the longer runs unless I was mistaken he was out in front of the play running interference.

Payton, looked quicker. You can tell the added flexibility is helping Payton. I'm pretty sure he's not in danger. You never know, but he looks like he's perfectly fine as a 3rd RB.

I think Payton is in a lot of danger, but he may have done enough last year and may do enough in preseason that if he ends up the odd man out here, he will get a look elsewhere.

Payton was on the bubble last year, and with the addition of White behind Brown and Henry this year, it makes it harder for him to stick again.

I'm among those who believe it when the Titans say they are not actively seeking to rid themselves of any of the top three (Brown/Henry/White). Too many different questions about each of them to feel confident in picking just two to go with, IMO.

Injuries between now and September may change things, but I'll be pretty surprised (though not entirely shocked) if Payton manages to keep his spot.

I agree at this point there appears to be plenty of carries for an oft injured 3rd down back (CB), an ex-probowler pot head (TH) and a spittin' mad rookie (LW)

seriously I agree plenty of reasons to keep all three and see were they all land going forward

Brown looked like he usually does- patient, bouncing to the outside looking for a lane to burst through. He found a couple.

Props to Henry. He looked REALLY solid on his runs. He mostly got up the middle calls- with 7-8 in the box. He earned his yardage and he was laying wood. MUCH stronger. He did break a nice one. Kept the handle on the ball also.

Woolfolk, Hill and Raymond had disappointing "coverage" games. Woolfold had 1 meaningless "hail mary" INT and had one that would have ended a scoring drive bounce off his stomach later in the game:irked: Bush put grass stains on his jock gettting outside. He did make a few solid tackles.

I thought overall, our first teams put in a reassuring, solid performance. Hope, Givens, Thornton and Mawae all looked good. There is a BIG drop, however, in the quality of our 2nd string defense. Hopefully, we won't have too many injuries.

After the hard two weeks of practice it appeared to me that some of the guys looked a little sluggish. Both Brown and Henry didn't appear quite as explosive as I thought they would be. Still, both runners were effective against the first team defense despite our OL not being 100%.

I was most upset with Woolfolk's missed int. He made a nice play to get to the ball and should have made the catch, especially concidering he is a fromer WR. Although Woolfolk didn't have a great game he played well enough that I could see him getting some reps over Hill if Hill doesn't improve. Hill was also one of those guys who looked a little sluggish. Maybe some of these guys will ge a little more fresh for the next game.

Pacman was definately a man out there. They hardly threw to his side and when they did he was in postion every time. The only reason he will not get a bunch of picks this year IMO is because teams will stay away from him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back