Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.

archived

Prospect
LEGEND
Moola
SUMMARY: They may not be household names but the Tennessee Titans may have among the deepest receiving unit in the NFL. Though none are Pro Bowlers, Head Coach Jeff Fisher liked what he saw from the group during last month’s mini-camp workouts at Baptist Sports Park. "You like to have guys with great speed that can go down the field and we have that," Fisher said. "Then of course you want to have guys that can get open and play the inside receivers and we’ve got that, so we have a good combination of athletic skill and they’ve all picked it up well and they’re all making plays." With the option to spread the ball around to so many receivers, it may seem unlikely that any of Tennessee’s WR will put up big numbers in 2006. But together, they hope to combine for high production. "We do have a lot of great receivers on this team and the ball can’t always go to one guy," David Givens said. "The ball is definitely going to be spread around here and in order to win games you have to be unselfish."

What do you think about this article? Post your comments below.

Deepest? Please! Is that because we're familiar with their names? I've never heard of this Tapper guy. Is he local? You think he's pumpin' up the fan base? Or hedging his bets in case we're fairly respectable...he can reference back to this and the secondary article...?

Whatever. This is one of the weakest groups heading into the season. They may shine, and I hope they do, but nothing gets me excited about this group. It will be on Volek to get 'em the ball.

Though there is a lot of fluff in this article, I see the potential for this group to be develop into a solid unit. Like many other units on the Titans, only time will tell.

Weakest groups? Weakest Groups? No way. As a group, they're strong. We may not have a "#1", top ten in the NFL receiver, but we have a solid group, and several quality backups. Bennett and Givens, both solid receivers, great #2s. Since we don't have a star #1, we're working with depth. Even if Calico doesn't get better, and Jones doesn't come back and do anything meaningful for the team this season, Roby and Williams looked good last year, and should be expected to make a big jump. If either of them steps up, they'll be a solid #3. Wade looking good in camp is just extra on top. Orr is depth or for the future.

I'm not saying we have a top 10 set of receivers, but overall I think they'll look pretty good. It's a balanced group.

We are VERY deep. We can lose both our top two WRs and we shouldn't hardly miss a beat. Now if that means we are good or very average we should see. I'm not as optimistic about Jones coming back 100% this year.

Look for the next article on how deep we are at TE.

I hope we are like the Patriots Receivers of their champion teams!
No names who got the job done and made a name for themselves!

Soxcat said:
We can lose both our top two WRs and we shouldn't hardly miss a beat.
Sox, c'mon now ...... that can't be right ..... (hold on)

Now if that means we are good or very average we should see
Oh now it makes sense - I'll take door #2 please

Givens is an average receiver (statisticlly)
http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/302029
-while he has a decent ypc he hasn't broke many big ones
-nor has he been much of a red-zone threat
-nor has he been activate an entire season
-and he has never sarted more than 12 games in a season

Bennett is a very servicable receiver
http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/245091
-however, he's avraging @ 660 yds / 45rec / 3.6 TD's a season = average
+ I have no doubt that Drew will be better w/ Volek than with McNair
-however, this could possibly be his last year here

Jones / Williams / Roby (in that order)
- too early to tell anything, certainly cannot all factor into "deepness"
We may have to wait as long as another year before BJ is back to himself
I think Roydell will step up this year
Roby is a good ST at this point nd was god for 12 first downs in 21 att.
Roydell bested Robys stats and conributed 16 firstdowns
.... both players accounted for 21 rec for just under 300 yds apiece
-which would have to be considerd 'below' average

Tyrone
-can barely be accounted for in deepness
Unless he pulls rabbit out of his (bleep)
- over the last 2 years isn't even averaging 8 ypc
---doesn't speak much to "deep-threat"

Wade
-all this excitment over Wade wll quickly dissolve come October
Jeff always picks a favorite during camp
one year it was Joey Kent ... right before he cut him

sorry Sox for the rant. I'm longwinded in both speach and type I guess

POINT IS - that if we lost both Givens AND Bennett and were stuck wth (in this order, mo) Roydell, Roby, and Wade ... we'd be in a hurt - I just cannot agree with this group being among the deepest.

Indy is deep
Denver is deep
New Orleans is deep
Houston is deep
Washington is deep

Tennesse is slightly above average, but still average

The only 'excellence' I've seen out of this group came from Drew in '04. and that's it ...... big pucking deal

I still love 'em all (just like Ozzy) and I hope they catch everything Billy throws at hem this year (no only for team sake, but also for Billy's tradebility sake

I'm just nowhere near ready to call them "among the deepest"

I aplogize for my wireless keyboards actions (hits it harder)
-why is it that whenever the batteries wear down, we hit the equipment or press the buttons harder ? (silly Americans)

I think givens was a great pick up and I LOVE our 3 2nd year WRs. But i really think we should use our number 1 or high number 2 in next years draft to get a receiver (i couldnt argue with a linemen tho). VY needs that go to guy with the IT factor. The cat that no matter how many defenders (or even their best defender) you put on that side of the field he finds some way to get open. Thats the WR Steve Never Had. Reese tried in the signings of Thigpin and Pickens, which failed dramatically. But we cant give VY mediocre talent and hope he puts up great passing numbers.

Puck said:
I aplogize for my wireless keyboards actions (hits it harder)
-why is it that whenever the batteries wear down, we hit the equipment or press the buttons harder ? (silly Americans)
mrt.jpg
Sox, c'mon now ...... that can't be right ..... (hold on)

Oh now it makes sense - I'll take door #2 please
:baghead:

Tedd Ginn anybody?

I like the looks of this group. The Patriots never had a stand out receiver, and we see how well it worked for them.

PS: How is New Orleans deep at WR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back