Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.

archived

Prospect
LEGEND
Moola
Primetime42 said:
I understand that the Titans felt they needed to move on.

But they went about it all wrong. How can you treat any player like that, let alone the best one the franchise ever had?

Barring him from being able to practice? Having to go to arbitration over it?

If it wasn't for Steve McNair, the Titans very well could have gone winless last season.

If you don't want to keep the guy, then fine. But doing all that to him, while basically holding him hostage for three months is classless. How is this going to affect relations between McNair and the Titans once his career is over? If it were me, I'd have to say the bridges were burned. I understand that this is a business, but what the Titans did was dirty business.

And for the record, I have liked numerous members of that franchise over the years, but lately, there just seems to be bad turnover.

This may very well be the way many people view the Titans Organization.

Every team in the NFL has made a bad public relations move. Funny how quickly people get over it after a few wins. Mac didn't like that his sucessor was drafted in the first round...Had been paid a fortune, with a cap number no team could have endured...Didn't want a pay cut that reflected his true worth...and to my amazement convinced Baltimore he was worth an insane amount of money....

I have stated that I have nothing but love for Steve Mac the man...but McNair the player is done...

He will not lead Baltimore to a superbowl or anything close...In time Tennessee will look like the wise ones who knew when the party was over...and Mac might just be refered to as Baltimore's $30 million mistake. Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

SEC 330 BIPOLAR said:

Winless without Mcnair? That is a very very very large misconception of what Mcnair has meant to us the past two years. He is entitled to his opinion, but the reason we locked him out was because Cook refused to renegotiate and we did not want to be on the hook for 23.5 million on a player that is GOING to not maybe GOING to get hurt.

i like him as a person, but as a football player, his time is up, and this will all blow over once we get vince in the game and start dominating

SEC 330 BIPOLAR said:

then they should probably do more research. Fact is the Titans wanted McNair to stay, McNair however didn't want to stay, he wanted to follow the :greedy:

I never said it wasn't a misconception. I just said that it is a common perception. Keep in mind that I beat that post out of a Cowboy fan and it stuck me as something that I have heard all too often. I understand the situation fully now especially in light of it being over with... I just wanted to point out that most people do not care enough to do the research and have already formed their opinion. Whether it is justified or not is immaterial to the fact that the organization has taken a black eye over this... even if we are better off.

Vigsted said:
then they should probably do more research. Fact is the Titans wanted McNair to stay, McNair however didn't want to stay, he wanted to follow the :greedy:
The Titans wanted him to stay on their terms which wasn't realistic.

SEC 330 BIPOLAR said:
I just wanted to point out that most people do not care enough to do the research and have already formed their opinion. Whether it is justified or not is immaterial to the fact.

This is true of most topics where there is heated debate. The vigiliant struggle against ignorance.

Enoch said:
Winless without Mcnair? That is a very very very large misconception of what Mcnair has meant to us the past two years.... .

yeah i kinda thought, especially last year, without mcnair we woulda won a couple more. remeber that desperation pass to drew in the corner of the endzone he overthrew while (whowas it?) troupe(?) was sitting wide open ten yards away?

there were a couple of games last year he tried to make a play... obviously didnt have it, or was confused where to go so he just tried to throw to drew... and we lost.

Originally Posted by Primetime42
I understand that the Titans felt they needed to move on.

But they went about it all wrong. How can you treat any player like that, let alone the best one the franchise ever had?

Barring him from being able to practice? Having to go to arbitration over it?

If it wasn't for Steve McNair, the Titans very well could have gone winless last season.

If you don't want to keep the guy, then fine. But doing all that to him, while basically holding him hostage for three months is classless. How is this going to affect relations between McNair and the Titans once his career is over? If it were me, I'd have to say the bridges were burned. I understand that this is a business, but what the Titans did was dirty business.

And for the record, I have liked numerous members of that franchise over the years, but lately, there just seems to be bad turnover.

I'd just like ask what primetime was smoking when he wrote that? Mcnair was good, but good doesn't get you over the hurdle..and while the NFL is a big business. it should be understood the Titans did what had to be done to preserve the best interest for both Mcnair and the Titans franchise
it's self

It is interesting to note what fans of other teams think, but when you get right down to it, not many people have enough time to follow (in detail) situations like this with every team in the league.

Personally, I spend a couple of hours each day trying to find out what is going on with Tennessee. I might spend a couple of hours each season on other teams.

Comments like these are certainly valuable, though, because they indicate what the national media says. Fans of other teams generally echo the national media because that is all they hear. I don't blame them for that because I'm not going out to Cowboys forums every day to find out what the real skinny is on their team. I certainly wouldn't expect them to be spending enough time to know what is going on with ours.

Broken Record said:
Comments like these are certainly valuable, though, because they indicate what the national media says. Fans of other teams generally echo the national media because that is all they hear. I don't blame them for that because I'm not going out to Cowboys forums every day to find out what the real skinny is on their team. I certainly wouldn't expect them to be spending enough time to know what is going on with ours.

Amen brother, And the national media torched us on this one...Refer to my earlier post on this thread...I think we'll rise above it..

TexasCowboy said:
I'd just like ask what primetime was smoking when he wrote that? Mcnair was good, but good doesn't get you over the hurdle..and while the NFL is a big business. it should be understood the Titans did what had to be done to preserve the best interest for both Mcnair and the Titans franchise
it's self
Primetime42 said:
See, I'm just going to refrain from going over there and saying what I feel. :lol:

I've done that with two other boards already.

I'm Public Enemy #1 on one of 'em and I got banned from the other in one day. I know I'm not getting lectured by the guy who is whoring himself to the TO av and sig.

In response, what the Titans did at the end of the day was the only thing they could do. McNair wasn't coming back after the way they treated him and they weren't taking him back for that ridiculous salary and signing bonus they prematurely gave him.

Regardless of the money situation, I don't like that they barred him from practicing on a field and facility that he practically helped build, and I don't like the fact that they sent him to a team that I'm sure is still hated in parts of Tennessee. There's better ways to handle it. I doubt McNair was too dumb to see the writing on the wall when VY was drafted. One would have assumed that since he was so buddy-buddy with the kid, that he would have been ECSTATIC to be his mentor. I find it hard to believe that a guy who has been with one franchise that long, and has displayed qualities that McNair has, would not be willing to take a paycut. And if he gets hurt, so what? The guy's been playing hurt for what, like 5 years now? You'd think his legs were made of some kind of bionic material the way he keeps coming back from injuries that would send 75% of NFL QBs crying home to mama.

News flash; who gave him that money and how long ago was it?

Eddie George wasn't treated nearly as badly. (And Eddie was obviously done, as we Cowboy fans found out. I don't put McNair in that category.)

For example, even though he was being released, the Cowboys gave Emmitt Smith a sendoff that seemed like a pre-retirement ceremony...and it was obvious Parcells and Co. did not want him here anymore, albeit for different reasons. We sent him to freakin' Arizona, but we didn't sever ties with him. That would be a stupid, senseless and counterproductive thing to do with the greatest running back in the history of this franchise, heck, some might say greatest player.

Yet that is exactly what the Tennessee Titans just did. As if people didn't have enough reasons to hate Bud Adams.

This isn't the media feeding me, BTW. I'm smart enough to make my own opinions and this is just how I see it, NFL Live be damned.
:eek: Did you see that? He might come over here. Seems Bipolar found an adventerous poster like myself.

TitanJeff said:
The Titans wanted him to stay on their terms which wasn't realistic.

McNair wanted to stay on his terms which wasn't realistic. However while one side couldn't actually afford to do any different, the other side made a conscious choice not to accept less money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back