Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.

archived

Prospect
LEGEND
Moola
Oh, what to do 'bout the O line. We've got a little money and apparently an expendable running back. Should we bring back Hopkins at the minimum? Make a trade? Something really cool that maybe I've never even seen before? GOOD SIRS WE HAVE TO DO SOMETHING! :whoop:

the only problem i honestly see is RT....but i think stewart and bell should be ok....maybe they bring in some competition, maybe not, who knows....but if i had to guess i'd say they go with the group they have now...

I must say, I personaly don't see Roos as the "sure thing" at the tackle position right now but I'm okay with him starting. Stewart and Bell are good for depth but neither deserve to start on the right side. It's all fun and games to talk about "Let's get Lelie!" and "Collins v Maddox" but the tempo of the game is decided by the O line.

I thought there were some prospects in the draft that looked good. I have doubts about both Bell and Big Country from what I've seen. But it may be either too early or too little to go by for both those guys.

Maybe we could trade Brown for Hutchison.

Yep. Stewart and Loper have had a year of coaching and practice.

I say let us see what they can do.

Doubts? They have to start somewhere, or not play at all. We don't have the luxury of grabbing proven starters in all positions, and I don't think it would be a good thing if we tried. Embrace the youth movement!

Yeah I can have doubts about Bell and Stewart. Bell tends to get pushed around easily. Happened a lot his rookie year. I recently rewatched some of him from last year, same thing. He looked pretty good when moving (maybe a little slower last year)....he looked bad a lot of times with a big defender rushing him. I don't see how Hartwig got that rap and Bell hasn't.

Stewart looked like he was stuck in mud in college, in the SR Bowl, and what little we've seen of him as a Titan.

Maybe these things can be fixed, maybe not.

Bobo said:
I don't see how Hartwig got that rap and Bell hasn't.
hartwig: three year starter who didnt improve much in the bull rushing department.

bell: rookie who started 15 games coming from a small school and then coming of off a torn acl.

there's a bit of a difference there.

I will be surprised if the OL is not a lot better. Hopkins gone=addition by subtraction, Hartwig gone Mawua (sp?) = big improvment. Roos I like and will only get better and better. I like the idea of a big Russian Left tackle.:grrr:

Mawae is as good as they come when he's been healthy. Before he got injured though, his play had dropped off from Pro Bowl caliber. Was that due to an injury or age?

Hopkins was done and should not be brought back. But in terms of this year vs last year, you'd have to compare Hopkins vs whoever starts at RT this year....

Here's the thing. Roos will still have a learning year at LT. Whomever comes in at RT will have a learning year there. Having two young and inexperienced tackles (at their new positions) is gonna ask a lot of your OC (to protect one side with a TE or RB in pass protection) and your QB (who's gonna take more shots). With a relatively fragile QB and Mauck as the only real backup, this is a DANGEROUS recipe if you're trying to have a .500 or better record.

The only thing going for us is that we have 3 guys fighting for the RT spot so hopefully one of them steps up. If we can re-establish a dominant inside running game, this can take a LOT of heat off our tackles in pass protection and we can be more of a dominant running and playaction pass team (hopefully with a strong defense)!!!

Gut

bigtitan53279 said:
hartwig: three year starter who didnt improve much in the bull rushing department.

bell: rookie who started 15 games coming from a small school and then coming of off a torn acl.

there's a bit of a difference there.

Yeah I know there is, but it seems as if no one noticed that problem in 04. Many just seemed to see highlight plays where he wiped out a LB when he pulled. Until he improves against a bull rush, he has that rap from me. And I hope he can improve.

Gut said:
Mawae is as good as they come when he's been healthy. Before he got injured though, his play had dropped off from Pro Bowl caliber. Was that due to an injury or age?

Hopkins was done and should not be brought back. But in terms of this year vs last year, you'd have to compare Hopkins vs whoever starts at RT this year....

Here's the thing. Roos will still have a learning year at LT. Whomever comes in at RT will have a learning year there. Having two young and inexperienced tackles (at their new positions) is gonna ask a lot of your OC (to protect one side with a TE or RB in pass protection) and your QB (who's gonna take more shots). With a relatively fragile QB and Mauck as the only real backup, this is a DANGEROUS recipe if you're trying to have a .500 or better record.

The only thing going for us is that we have 3 guys fighting for the RT spot so hopefully one of them steps up. If we can re-establish a dominant inside running game, this can take a LOT of heat off our tackles in pass protection and we can be more of a dominant running and playaction pass team (hopefully with a strong defense)!!!

Gut

Couldn't agree more. Obviously the tackle positiion is our biggest question mark this year. ON BOTH SIDES. Volek deserves a fair chance to succeed. Protecting him and sitting Young (and Mauck) should be priority one this year. Though I'm amped as all get up to see Young on the field, We sure as hell don't wanna NEED him out there!

As for the inside running game, how do you think the addition of White and the trading of Brown will affect that.

Dangermode said:
Oh, what to do 'bout the O line. We've got a little money and apparently an expendable running back. Should we bring back Hopkins at the minimum? Make a trade? Something really cool that maybe I've never even seen before? GOOD SIRS WE HAVE TO DO SOMETHING! :whoop:
We should get this guy and line him up at RT...
stay_puft_marshmallow_man.jpg

fire.gif

My concern is the OG play which IMO last year was terrible. If what we want to do is keep the ball on the ground and play old fashion ball control we need some guys who go forward and not back.
It will not matter if White, Henry or Brown are getting the carries, if they are getting hit as soon as they get the ball we are not going to have alot of success.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back