Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.

archived

Prospect
LEGEND
Moola
We need a MLB. With that said I know D'Qwell was one of the first players to come visit our facilities. What about Hodge? Are we not even going to consider him?

I think it will come down to...A) who's still there and B) which one can offer depth to OLB as well as being good in coverage. From what I'm told, Jackson is the one that fits that bill, but he may not be there.

NFL.com mock doesn't even have D'Qwell being picked up in the first or second. I just figure if we are gonna go MLB shouldn't we bring'em all in to further evaluate?

Sta-Chisle said:
NFL.com mock doesn't even have D'Qwell being picked up in the first or second. I just figure if we are gonna go MLB shouldn't we bring'em all in to further evaluate?
yes we should

hodge doesn't have jackson's cover ability. with jackson in the lineup we could stay in our base even against three WRs. i don't think we could do that with hodge.

bigtitan53279 said:
hodge doesn't have jackson's cover ability. with jackson in the lineup we could stay in our base even against three WRs. i don't think we could do that with hodge.

I don't see any situation that we would rather have a MLB on the field vs. 3 wide than just putting our nickelback (probably Woolfolk or Fuller) on the field instead. Even teams with excellent MLB's probably wouldn't do that very often.

werent we really bad at run stopping last year, we used to be the best team in the league but these last few years weve been terrible at it

Griesen's still out there too I think. I'm wondering if there's some contract in the work with him pending how our draft and McNair situation turn out. Sirmon is still in the picture also for MLB.

Titans2008 said:
I don't see any situation that we would rather have a MLB on the field vs. 3 wide than just putting our nickelback (probably Woolfolk or Fuller) on the field instead. Even teams with excellent MLB's probably wouldn't do that very often.
teams do that sometimes. it depends on the situation. i remember we used a 3-3-5 when we had the speed at linebacker to help our run defense against 3 WR sets.

i'm not saying play bulluck man to man on brandon stokely. when you stay in your base 4-3 you play a cover two or three with zone under it. usually on 3rd and 5, or something when a run isnt out of the question. obviously if it's 3rd and 9, we would send out the extra DB.

3 LB's on the field with 3 WR's will continue to be used, and probably more with 3 very athletic LB's on the field. A better match up against the run and still being good in coverage is what you're after.

metal957 said:
Abdul Hodge is a better run stopper which we would need.

Jackson holds up well against the run. He gets off blocks and works his way through traffic better. Plus he can cover.

Hodge would be more of a liability in coverage. I'm not saying I wouldn't want him if D'Qwell is gone, but he's clearly the more versatile of the two.

A lot of the other MLBs are making plays when they get to them. You want a guy who can get up there and make the play rather than having it come to them. Kassell made a lot of tackles, but not an overwhelming number of plays.

If we can't get Jackson or possibly Hodge, to me it's not even worth taking a MLB until day two.

Some draft "experts" are extremely high on Jackson saying he could be a real steal in the 2nd. They see him as a premiere MLB and one I heard said he has similar instincts but not quite the athleticism of Hawk.

Jackson was a 130 tackle guy in college. He also would give us a backup on the outside if one of the other guys went down. I don't know if Hodge is quite at Jackson's level and we might not be interested in a MLB in the 2nd unless it is Jackson or a guy like Carpenter.

There was some mention of Thornton being able to play the middle. Not sure if it was his words or someone else's. Been wondering if Thomas Howard is a possibility. He could play outside, and then if we go the nickle, he just comes off the field and Thornton slides outside.

You would say, "you don't want your 2nd round pick only playing 2/3rds of the d snaps", but then again, if we draft Jackson, aren't we looking at about the same situation?

I would much rather have Jackson in the middle with Thornton on the outside than Thornton in the middle with Howard on the outside.

IMO Jackson is a much more polished and instinctual player than Howard who might be a great athlete only. Jackson would also be a better MLB than Thornton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back