Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this has Eddie written all over it. Mac will say he wants to stay, but wants his money. Reese will say that he wants him back, but just can't justify paying him more than the franchise tag or top 5 in the league because of his injuries and uncertainty about his future.

If this drags out, McNair loses leverage because he can't get to another team and learn the offense, and we get to see who might be available i.e. Rivers, Brees, Cutler, Lienart, and VY...plus we got Volek to start, fulfill any promises made to him, and potentially increase his value to another team who's starter is injured...

The longer this drags out, the interest in McNair as a free agent goes down, as does his value re-signing with us. It's simple "supply and demand". He (and/or his agent) are counting on us not wanting to have him eat up $14.5 million in cap room this year. Most teams looking for a QB will have that settled come draft time and there will be little or no market for his services, not to mention teams' available salary cap will keep shrinking with each passing day starting March 3rd (as will the chances of him getting a large pay day someplace else)....if we can swing eating that much cap space till around May 1st, he'll have little choice but accept our offer.

If we exercise the $1 million option, he counts $14.5 in 2006. If we cut him on March 3rd, he counts $4.5 million in "dead money" in 2006 (the prorata share of the signing bonus that's left). While saving $10 million seems OK, we would be in deep dodo with Volek as our starter and Young as the backup.

"McNair's agent, Bus Cook, didn't immediately return a message for comment. But he has said McNair isn't interested in taking a pay cut."

In light of this statement, Floyd should ask Bus if his client is interested in upping his performance, or at least upping his forward passes above the shinbone.

Starkiller said:
More than a month since the bonus isn't due until September.
I hadn't realized that before and it changes everything.

It is well after the draft so the Titans will be in a much better position to know whether they want/need McNair for more than a year.

I don't think anything will happen until July/August unless the Titans fall in love with a free agent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back