Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damar Hamlin.

honestly don’t know much about him but the tackle didn’t seem that serious. Just crazy timing unless there’s more that hasn’t been disclosed on why such a young guy, athlete, would have this issue.

Damar Hamlin.

honestly don’t know much about him but the tackle didn’t seem that serious. Just crazy timing unless there’s more that hasn’t been disclosed on why such a young guy, athlete, would have this issue.

Not common but not unheard of either. There is a known cardiac condition that has been known to impact young athletes.

Commotio Cordis | Korey Stringer Institute

Commotio Cordis refers to the sudden arrhythmic death caused by a low/mild chest wall impact. Commotio Cordis is seen mostly in athletes between the ages of 8 and 18 who are partaking in sports with projectiles such as baseballs, hockey pucks, or lacrosse balls. These projectiles can strike the athletes in the middle of the chest with a low impact but enough to cause the heart to enter an arrhythmia. Martial arts is a sport in which a strike of a hand can also cause the heart to change it’s rhythm. Without immediate CPR and defibrillation the prognosis of commotio cordis is not very good. This condition is extremely dangerous with rare survival.

https://www.nationalreview.com/the-morning-jolt/nfl-shaken-by-damar-hamlin-collapse/

If Hamlin’s cardiac arrest was indeed Commotio Cordis, it is just the extraordinarily unfortunate circumstance of Higgins’s shoulder hitting Hamlin in just the right spot while Hamlin’s heart was in that particularly vulnerable part of the heartbeat cycle.

Not common but not unheard of either. There is a known cardiac condition that has been known to impact young athletes.

Commotio Cordis | Korey Stringer Institute

https://www.nationalreview.com/the-morning-jolt/nfl-shaken-by-damar-hamlin-collapse/

Actually, that is the theory here. If you look at the replay of the tackle, Tee Higgens' helmet hits Hamlin squarely in the chest at full speed. I think that this has happened in baseball (not MLB) in the past, and I have seen references to a hockey player going into cardiac arrest after getting hit in the chest with a puck back in 1998.

This was very scary though. He makes the tackle, actually gets on his feet, then collapses. Horrific...

I watched a video on Commotio Cordis. The doctor said the impact had to happen right at the very moment to disrupt the heart. Milliseconds before or after and he's fine.

Pretty crazy stuff. But in this instance it looks like that's what happened. The hit to the chest disrupted his heart, he had time to stand up before his body stopped functioning and he passed out (or died). The way he slammed his head wasn't pretty either.

At this point my biggest concern is that he is still intubated (on a ventilator). Last night the medics were able to restart his heart, but he was not able to breathe on his own (hence the ventilator). He is in a medically induced coma to allow for recovery, and hopefully the breathing come back. However, when the heart stops the brain is deprived of Oxygen, so damage fro that (if any) is an unknown until he wakes up here.

The latest update I read was that he needs 50% oxygen from ventilation, down from 100%. That update was around 30 minutes ago.

They will bring him out slowly. The “only” concern at this point is his brain. Were the compressions adequate and fast enough to keep his brain supplied. Looked like it was. Window is 5 minutes or so with no flow to brain.

As a dane, this episode is eerily similar to the 2020 Euro Cup where danish football captain Christian Erikson collapsed on the field after suffering cardiac arrest.

He had the same recovery process, medically induced coma, and was slowly brought out of it. He had a small defibulator implant placed near his heart, and as far as i know he has to have that implant installed for the rest of his life.

I hope Hamlin recovers and gets a new lease on life!

As a dane, this episode is eerily similar to the 2020 Euro Cup where danish football captain Christian Erikson collapsed on the field after suffering cardiac arrest.

He had the same recovery process, medically induced coma, and was slowly brought out of it. He had a small defibulator implant placed near his heart, and as far as i know he has to have that implant installed for the rest of his life.

I hope Hamlin recovers and gets a new lease on life!

Chris Pronger, the hockey player who had this happen, went on to have a HOF career and played well into his 30s

Chris Pronger, the hockey player who had this happen, went on to have a HOF career and played well into his 30s
That's great to hear, and stories like that can hopefully motivate him in his recovery process.
Erikson also managed to get back to playing professional football in the Premier League and for the danish national team.
So there is certainly a way back from something as scary as this. Let's hope Hamlin can recover in similar fashion.

They will bring him out slowly. The “only” concern at this point is his brain. Were the compressions adequate and fast enough to keep his brain supplied. Looked like it was. Window is 5 minutes or so with no flow to brain.

I would think they would be adequate. They got to him fast and it was trained medical staff doing the CPR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back