Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.

archived

Prospect
LEGEND
Moola
All, how would you feel about signing a QB like Drew Brees in free agency and trading down with the 1st round pick?

- potentially solves our QB problem for next 5-6 yrs with a know commodity assuming he checks out medically. It may actually be cheaper than signing a Leinert or Young - and he could play immediately.
- lets us fill in so many other holes we have in o-line, secondary, linebacker...

the more I think about it I like the idea.

smili

If he checks out physically he would definately be the number 1 option. There are at least five other teams who are thinking the same thing though...

I see one problem. Roos is what 6'6, 6'7? David Stewart is 6'6' 6'7 range too. As is Daniel Loper. Brees is 6'.

How big are the o-line man at SD?

Hmmmmm, it took me a long time to go through the advantages and disadvantages of taking Brees with our 1st round pick, however I were Reese I would take Young

If there was anyway we could work out the CAP dollars to get Brees I would do it in a flat second. Essentially we would swap McNair's salary for Brees's and then we could trade down even taking slightly less than chart value if neccesary to keep from having big CAP hitters early in the draft.
Brees salary would have to be structured so it would only cost us around 10 million on the CAP this year and we would have to cut McNair.

I would take a proven NFL QB over an unproven rookie any day.

Gunny said:
I worry when a QB has a shoulder injury though.
Me too.

And Brees won't have an LT to take the pressure off him here. I believe we have discussed this in another thread but his career has been a roller coaster so far. I would rather look to the draft.

We are a young team, let's stay young, and let's grow together with Young. Brees is better suited going to a team on the cusp. We are not there.

In the earlier post Jeff made some points:

I think it is because most don't think Brees is a long-term answer. At least I don't.

Regardless of what is being reported, you have to assume he's a question mark next season. Maybe he comes back and can be close to his former self but I'm betting it's '07 before that happens. But he'll command a pretty big contract wherever he goes.

Does Brees give you anything more than what McNair/rookie QB gives you? I don't think so. Especially in the long run. Brees had his best season '04 with the high passer rating but passed for only 400 more yards than McNair last year and a passer rating just six points higher. He really struggled as a starter in '02 and '03.

I see why some think taking Brees appeals to some. Anyone who wants Brees assumes he can step in now and remain a quality #1 for the next six seasons. This frees up the Titans to trade out of #3 for Brick or a LB and be more competitive sooner.

What spooks me is that if the Chargers felt Brees was the future, they could sign him long-term and shop Rivers. Apparently, they feel it's better to go with an unproven product in Rivers and let Brees walk.

Assuming Brees is healthy, he certainly brings more to the table than McNair.
His 89 QB rating compared to 82 is VERY significant IMO. The fact McNair is a short timer makes McNair's value minimal. Sure Brees had Gates as his TE but the Titans TEs were about as productive (1100 yards for Gates, 1070 for Kinney and Troupe combined, add in Scaife's numbers and the Titans TEs were more productive than the SD TEs). Brees WRs are nothing to write home about with McCardell (917 yards) and Parker (725 yards) as his two top WRs.

Yes it is VERY appealing to sign Brees for the reasons Jeff gave. We can use our early draft pick on any player we want. Want to get a guy like LT so Brees can have that kind of player in his backfield. Take your pick of RBs. We could have Williams or White. Even if we don't go that route we could add Brick and fortify the line Brees would have blocking for him.

The reason SD is willing to go with Rivers is simple. They have to decide at some point who they need to move on with and they can't keep having two high priced QBs on their roster taking up CAP space. The injury to Brees helped force their hand but I'm not sure Brees wasn't going to leave anyway. Think of the FAs they can sign with what they save by not having to pay Brees.

You called Rivers and "unproven" product. Remember Rivers has been in the organization for a couple of years so to them he isn't completely unproven. Yet you advocate bringing in a rookie QB for the Titans which is going to have even more question marks than Rivers or Brees.

Certainly we don't consider Brees unless we are fairly sure he is close to 100%. If he is healthy somehow signing him could turn this franchise around overnight IMO.

As far as Drew Bree's I'd like to see us make a run at him sign him, release Mcnair and draft D' Ferguson. That would give us a stud at LT to protect Bree's blind side and leave Roo's at RT giving us a solid Tackle duo for what...the next 6-8 years. Then trade volek for a late 2nd or 3rd round pick to whom ever is drinking too much stuff .. but this is just something I'd thought would be a decent scenario considering mcnair's over the hill and sliding into the lake on the other side.

Soxcat said:
Assuming Brees is healthy, he certainly brings more to the table than McNair. His 89 QB rating compared to 82 is VERY significant IMO.
The investment Brees will demand is also much more than it'll take to keep McNair around for another year or two. And I think McNair, in the second year of the Chow offense, will be a more productive QB this season.

The reason SD is willing to go with Rivers is simple. They have to decide at some point who they need to move on with and they can't keep having two high priced QBs on their roster taking up CAP space.
They could have traded Rivers if they preferred Brees. Apparently, they don't.

You called Rivers and "unproven" product. Remember Rivers has been in the organization for a couple of years so to them he isn't completely unproven. Yet you advocate bringing in a rookie QB for the Titans which is going to have even more question marks than Rivers or Brees.
They've seen him on the practice field and in preseason games but Rivers has very little game experience. They know what Brees has and they are letting him walk. As for advocating a rookie for the Titans, I think whoever the Titans draft as a QB at #3 is a much better talent than what Brees will ever be. Just my opinion.

If they really think Rivers is ready why would they trade him? They can save money letting Brees walk. Also, what makes you so sure our #3 pick will be better than Rivers or Brees. Just based on history there is almost a 50% chance the guy we end up with will be a complete bust. Thats why getting a QB like Brees, who isn't a complete bust but a darn good QB is way better than taking a chance on a guy like Young. Add in the fact that we then have our #3 pick to use anyway we like your whole argument goes down the tube.

What would you rather have, Brees and whoever we can draft with the #3 pick or a rookie QB who has an unsure future? The only thing holding up the deal IMO is if Brees is affordable. If we could get Brees, dump McNair (who some think we should pay 10 mil per year to mentor a guy like Young who will not be able to play for 2 years) and still have options with the #3 pick I would do it in a flat second.

Brees had a breakout in his third season. It seems that the same people who are saying how much they would just LOVE to draft Young and let him sit for two seasons are saying that Brees sucked because he didn't rip up the NFL in his first two seasons. Let's ask the math majors what's wrong with this picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back