Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.

archived

Prospect
LEGEND
Moola
Almost every mock I see, has us taking D'Qwell in the 2nd round. MLB in our defense has traditionally been an expendable position. A 2 down player would more than appease me. I don't see Floyd investing a first, a second and huge money in our starting LBs.

In my mind no, but on the other hand I can see us drafting BPA. Depending on how Stewart, Bell and Loper have developed I wouldn't mind to see a Marcus McNeil drafted here.

I think it's BPA but MLB has to be among those positions which might get extra consideration. Here's the thing, do you want to use a second-round pick on a guy who is on the field 60-65% of the time on defense? The Titans stunk against the run last year so maybe so. But I think the free agents brought in opens up a lot of options.

Looking at D'Qwell, he isn't a player you have to take off the field in passing situations. He's not a liability in coverage in that he can be effective covering backs or tight ends. Many teams are viewing him as a weakside backer from what I've read. If the Titans can pick up a third linebacker with Bulluck and Thornton's speed and range, why not in the second. That would be a trifecta.

TitanJeff said:
I think it's BPA but MLB has to be among those positions which might get extra consideration. Here's the thing, do you want to use a second-round pick on a guy who is on the field 60-65% of the time on defense? The Titans stunk against the run last year so maybe so. But I think the free agents brought in opens up a lot of options.

I agree
I would rather have the 3rd or 4th rated safety

danny said:
Looking at D'Qwell, he isn't a player you have to take off the field in passing situations. He's not a liability in coverage in that he can be effective covering backs or tight ends. Many teams are viewing him as a weakside backer from what I've read. If the Titans can pick up a third linebacker with Bulluck and Thornton's speed and range, why not in the second. That would be a trifecta.

But one of them would have to come out, unless we change our philosophy to Tampa 2 or some othe scheme that allows us to keep 3 linebackers in obvious passing situations against 3 receiver sets.

Vigsted said:
or some othe scheme that allows us to keep 3 linebackers in obvious passing situations against 3 receiver sets.
we've done that before when we had the speed at LB. we've used a 3-3-5 to help against the run out of three WR sets.

If we had a speedy Mike, I think I'd like to see him stay on the field more than usual. Hey, who ever thought we'd give big FA money to a small, speedy OLB? Maybe philosophies are changing somewhat.

Bobo said:
If we had a speedy Mike, I think I'd like to see him stay on the field more than usual. Hey, who ever thought we'd give big FA money to a small, speedy OLB? Maybe philosophies are changing somewhat.
i would be fine with it too man, even the titans said that they are big into speedy athletic linebackers, but being small wouldnt be the best thing for the pass coverage

Allen has a lot of potential, and apparently is over his injury. He'll probably be long gone (I've seen him projected as high as the teens) by 2nd round, but if he's there I'd love to scoop him up.

h4t said:
Why does everyone push Jason Allen so much? He has Mike Echols written all over him.

You must have never seen him play.

How many safeties have lead the SEC in tackling? (Junior Year)
How often does a CB lead his team in tackling? (Senior Year until injury)
How many corners have you seen get 11 tackles in one game? (Senior Year)

That's why people push him. That's why he's a first round pick after dislocating a hip. I'm willing to bet that he'd be a top 10 pick if he'd never been hurt. He's big, he's fast, and he's a great tackler. What else could you want in a football player? If he's there in the second, we should definitely pick him. He's as good as they come.

Here's the thing...

A MLB will play how much? Did we get Thornton to only play against the run? If not, he and Bulluck will be the Nickel LB's. So we'd be getting a MLB for run downs only. Compare that to...

A good OT who in a year or 2 caould be a fulltime starter.

A good CB who could be a nickel back or compete for a starting spot (or at least give some quality depth against the injury bug, bad play, or Pac ending up in jail).

A DE...perhaps a good passrusher to bookend with KVB.

A S...who could eventually become a fulltime starter.

A QB (should we not take one in rd 1) to be the potential heir.

A WR to find a legit #2.

A OG or C...these guys won't last forever.

A RB who could potentially come in and start from day 1.

I like DQ at MLB, but the Titans simply don't play much 3 LB vs the pass and that's the majority of the time. So the question is, can we get by with someone else on run downs?

And if I remember correctly, the Colts are the best team in our division and we haven't been able to stop their passrush no stop their pass offense. Finding a way to beat them will be the first step towards getting back to our winning ways. On the other hand, the Texans could have Reggie Bush after the draft (though their OL is not very good).

Gut

Gut said:
Here's the thing...

A MLB will play how much? Did we get Thornton to only play against the run? If not, he and Bulluck will be the Nickel LB's. So we'd be getting a MLB for run downs only. Compare that to...

IT could be concievable to play a 3 - 3 - 5 Defense, depending on how good the DL is.

A good OT who in a year or 2 caould be a fulltime starter.

Max Gean Gillies could be there.

A good CB who could be a nickel back or compete for a starting spot (or at least give some quality depth against the injury bug, bad play, or Pac ending up in jail).

Should be a decent Corner in the 2nd.

A DE...perhaps a good passrusher to bookend with KVB.

Kiwi could be there, I heard he is dropping, would be a nice pickup though with Odom, LaBoy might not be so much of a need.

A S...who could eventually become a fulltime starter.

Darnell Bing is a possibility there.

A QB (should we not take one in rd 1) to be the potential heir.

OMAR!!!! I'd rather him anyway. Sick of the big 3, plus it mean we might have gotten Reggie.

A WR to find a legit #2.

I dont think with Givens, Bennett, 3 rookies and Calico we will go that route.

A RB who could potentially come in and start from day 1.

LenDale White is falling, but we don't need another Hammy.

Just pointing out who could be there. And the whole wide range of possibilies and plenty there I would like us to pick up outside of D'Quell Jackson.

Hah!

I don't really like making lists...but I try to give people options other than just the most obvious party-line one.

For those of you suggesting we take a DQ in the second and then suggest playing a 3-3-5, I don't see it. Even when we had the LB's to do it we didn't do it very much.

More important these days is getting heat on the passer and stopping the run...things a 3-3 front doesn't do very well generally.

If you suggest staying in a 4-3 vs 3wr sets and playing zone, that would be more conceiveable, but still would be problematic facing a team like the Colts.

Gut

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back