Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.

archived

Prospect
LEGEND
Moola
"The Cardinals signed Kurt Warner to a three-year contract, ending speculation about their quarterback plans. ESPN.com reported the deal was for $18 million and could be worth up to $24 million..."

I've not found details on how Warner's deal breaks down but is it reasonable to expect this may influence McNair's deal? I'd venture to guess McNair will be offered in the range of $7 mil per year on a three-year deal.

i think this kurt warner deal might mean an increase in the deal, if Warner is signing for a three year deal, look for Mcnair's contract to be up to a three year deal maybe more

TitanJeff said:
"The Cardinals signed Kurt Warner to a three-year contract, ending speculation about their quarterback plans. ESPN.com reported the deal was for $18 million and could be worth up to $24 million..."

I've not found details on how Warner's deal breaks down but is it reasonable to expect this may influence McNair's deal? I'd venture to guess McNair will be offered in the range of $7 mil per year on a three-year deal.
Do you think McNair will stick around for 3 more years? I dont see McNair staying around to be a backup. If McNair really feels like playing 3 more years, then QB is not a priority in this draft. We can use picks in other areas. Signing McNair to a deal that knowing that he wont play that long only slows us getting out of salary cap crap

I still think Mcnair will stick around for a few more years even as a backup, maybe the Titans want him around so that he can give a good influence to the QB we will get... which is Vince Young

maximus said:
Do you think McNair will stick around for 3 more years? I dont see McNair staying around to be a backup. If McNair really feels like playing 3 more years, then QB is not a priority in this draft. We can use picks in other areas. Signing McNair to a deal that knowing that he wont play that long only slows us getting out of salary cap crap
I don't know the point of resigning McNair if they don't play on extending him for three more seasons. They could just pay the $1 mil bonus and take the hit now (as Reese said the team was prepared to do).

I assume the deal would be structured so that the Titans could release McNair after the '07 season without absorbing a ton of dead money. He stays the #1 for '06 and possibly into '07. I think that changes based on his health and who the Titans take at #3.

TitanJeff said:
I don't know the point of resigning McNair if they don't play on extending him for three more seasons. They could just pay the $1 mil bonus and take the hit now (as Reese said the team was prepared to do).

I assume the deal would be structured so that the Titans could release McNair after the '07 season without absorbing a ton of dead money. He stays the #1 for '06 and possibly into '07. I think that changes based on his health and who the Titans take at #3.

I am probably wrong but doesn't his deal have to be redone before the draft?

Mcnair will probably stick around for the 08 season, however his contact will have to be cut down a lot to keep him till then

Ewker said:
I am probably wrong but doesn't his deal have to be redone before the draft?
Yep. I think it has to happen by March 1. Not 100% sure though. So the Titans won't know if they have Leinart or Young. I think this means the Titans will try to sign McNair three years but have it structured so they could release him (or he retires) after the '07 season.

TitanJeff said:

Can you explain McNairs bonus options found in his current contract

maximus said:
Can you explain McNairs bonus options found in his current contract
From what I understand, the $1 mil buyout keeps McNair here for one more season. His base would be $9 mil. But it hurts the cap more because the pro-rated bonus was spread out until the '09 season which makes this a $14.5 mil hit to the cap in '06.

What I'm not sure of is whether any dead money remains after the '06 season if they decide to release McNair. Starkiller can help you better than I here.

what is the cap money or dead money if they don't resign him. I would imagine he would still count towards the cap since he has redone his contract a few times

I see know reason to keep McNair more than one year if we draft Young. Why do we want to have two QBs eating up CAP space? Reese will go with the 1.0 million option, take the CAP hit and not have to carry McNair's salary any longer than he has to. McNair's refusal to take a big cut in pay makes the decision a no brainer IMO. McNair's best days are behind him and why pay a guy 10 million a year in those circumstances?

LazyManJackson said:
Because he is Mint

mint: great condition (That's mint, mate.)

some might say the best shape of his life...:suspect:

I have my doubts about McNair in Chow's system.
The offensive scheme does not play to McNairs strenths.
I can not imagine McNair putting in three quality seasons.

If he was smart he'd stick around until the cows come home and ride Vince Young's coat tails to a Super Bowl win. Nothing wrong with being like Neil Odonnell...:hmm:(I guess)... anyway, that's how he got back to a Super Bowl...(riding coat tails, I mean) McNair deserves a ring. I'd love to see him get it.

It is in the best interest of the team to bring him back...and to give him a deal similar to Warner's. He is about all we have as far as a veteran leader goes, he knows the offense and would perform better in it than a rookie or some other team's reject we would bring in as a FA. That, plus the fact that Volek has more trade value leaves us little choice...if we want more than 4-5 wins...Fisher certainly needs more! How about 3 years...$24 million...$9 million bonus and salaries of $1 million in 2006 (he gets the $10 million in 2006 like he and his agent want and we save $10 million in cap room vs. the one year option), $7 million in 2007 and $7 million in 2008 with 2008 not guaranteed. If he retires after the 2007 season, there is only $3 million in dead $$. Therefore, the deal is really a two year $17 million deal. Not cheap, but not Manning or McNabb $$ either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back