Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.

archived

Prospect
LEGEND
Moola
Great article in today's Tennessean on the similar situations Eddie George and Jerome Bettis were in a couple of years ago. Both were faced with reduced roles on their respective teams. Jerome accepted the role and pay cut, remained with the Steelers and will play in the Super Bowl tomorrow. Eddie asked to be released, spent a horrible year in Dallas last year and is now a man without a team, but not officially retired. The ironic thing is that they have the same agent, Lamont Smith.
I'm not saying that if Eddie was still here, we'd be in the Super Bowl, but it would have been nice to see him go out a Titan.

JDee

Oh...no doubt. I've been well aware of the agent angle here. Another poster characterized this as a "tale of two backs"... it is just another in a long line a tragedies for the Titans.
A tragic hero is an honorable protagonist with a tragic flaw, also known as fatal flaw, which eventually leads to his demise. The concept of the tragic hero was created in ancient Greek tragedy and defined by Aristotle. An Aristotelian tragic hero must have four characteristics: goodness, superiority - such as in terms of politics, reputation, or perceived wisdom, a tragic flaw, and a realization of both his flaw and his inevitable demise. Usually, the realization of fatal flaw results in catharsis or epiphany. The tragic flaw is sometimes referred to as an Achilles' heel after the single fatal flaw of the Greek warrior Achilles.
It's a bit ironic when you think about EG in a boot.

Also what comes to mind is:

The Divine Comedy of the Titans Decent Into Cap Hell
I
Beating a team three times that nobody
could beat only to fall 1 yard short of destiny.
II
EG. REY REY. DEL GRECO. 'nuff said...
III
wandering in the desert for 40 weeks...
IV
Being thrashed in regular season and being able to regroup to advance to AFC Championship only to be hammered by the Faders again who only go on to lose in their own dramatic saga...
V
Home loss to Colts in late December pinpoints downward spiral. Wildcard win is symbolic victory... Bennet makes the drop that reminds me of McNair just serving it up in regular season in what was otherwise a valiant effort. History repeats itself twice in consecutive seasons.
VI
2 years in cap hell...9-23...no post season...
devil_pointing_right_md_wht.gif
sword.gif

send us a messiah...
5157552_36_1.jpg

Hey, he stole my thoughts! Last week in a post I was comparing the two paths of Bettis and George!

David Climer is a thief in the night!

SEC 330 BP said:
Another poster characterized this as a "tale of two backs"...
The unknown poster that I was citing was indeed my little Elf girl.

Thank you Elfinmagic53 for your useful, thoughtful insights.

http://www.gotitans.com/goForum/showpost.php?p=143272&postcount=17

Elfinmagic53 said:
Many players have learned from the two different paths of Eddie George and Jerome Bettis. What they have learned is that sometimes it pays to take less money to stay with a team you know and not test the free agent market.

Floyd has faith in Tank and recognizes that he is a smart player, he knows the system and he has potential. It is wiser to keep a guy that you know has the potential to make plays than to spend a large amount of money on a new free agent who you hope to make a difference. Remember, the Titans have a horrible record when it comes to signing free agents.

Tank wants to stay in Tennessee. He knows the team, he knows the system, he has made lots of close friends on the team and in the city and he enjoys Nashville. Besides, it's best to stay where you started and at least go into free agency with a strong season behind you.

I stole nothing. I only accepted what you offered.
I even cited you anonymously.

Here is your full public credit.

Good post! :thumb:

elfinmagic53 said:
Hey, he stole my thoughts! Last week in a post I was comparing the two paths of Bettis and George!

he's also an over-opinionated idiot
very few of columns reveal actual facts
watch him .... he's a sneaky one

Puck said:
he's also an over-opinionated idiothttp://www.texanstalk.com/cgi-bin/forums/YaBB.pl
There are a quite a few over-opinionated idiots here.
I won't take that as a dis. You're my bro, Puck.

GO TITANS!

SEC 330 BIPOLAR said:
There are a quite a few over-opinionated idiots here.
I won't take that as a dis. You're my bro, Puck.

GO TITANS!

hey man, how'd that hyperlink show up when you quoted ?

I wasn't talking about you. I'm referring to Climer

and you're not Climer ......... are you ?

let me try this again .... for my boy BiPolar

elfinmagic53 said:

Climer's also an over-opinionated idiot

I post on short breaks at work...My mistake. I skimmed the thread over and I misunderstood. I was never offended. My bad.

I was going to delete my post but in light of it all I will let my goof stand for ****s and giggles.

pobodys nerfect. :winker:

Puck said:
he's also an over-opinionated idiot

Hi Puckie. Now we know that Climer is trolling our threads for brilliant ideas that he can steal and publish as his own thoughts.:grrr:

elfinmagic53 said:
Hi Puckie. Now we know that Climer is trolling our threads for brilliant ideas that he can steal and publish as his own thoughts.:grrr:

i wouldn't be surprised if he does / did / wants to / will

don't bring up marriage to your boyfriend ..... EVER
it scares most guys away
when he's ready he'll tell you

(or until you get pregnant-then he'll have to or pay child support) :ha:

Yeah but...

The titans have sucked royally the last 2 years. What benefit would eddie have being the short yardage back on a horrible team? Bettis is getting all this love mainly because his team has been good. Eddie wouldn't have any of that. He would just be this old, slow back playing out the rest of his career on one of the worst teams in the nfl.

I love Eddie. Even though I was sad to see him go:sad2:I was also glad.:smile:
I'm Bipolar so conflicting emotions are the norm with me.:irked:

Chris Brown did a far better job in 2004 tha EG could have ever hoped to.:winker:

SEC 330 BIPOLAR said:
I love Eddie. Even though I was sad to see him go:sad2:I was also glad.:smile:
I'm Bipolar so conflicting emotions are the norm with me.:irked:

Chris Brown did a far better job in 2004 tha EG could have ever hoped to.

Chris Brown did a far better job? Yeah, when he wasn't on IR. Has he ever played a full season without missing a game due to injury? No. At least Eddie was reliable and never missed a game.

Also, Eddie is still in shape, unlike the swole up Bus.:hmm:

(I'm fighting every urge in me to post something smarmy and totally inappropriate)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back