Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.

archived

Prospect
LEGEND
Moola
With the Titans interested in bringing Gregg Williams back to the staff in some capacity, it’s worth taking a look at how Williams fared in his last stop before getting suspended in the “Bountygate” scandal last year.

Williams’ defenses in New Orleans had their share of ups and downs over three seasons, but his last unit was a particularly poor one.

In 2011, the Saints ranked 24th in overall defense, 31st in takeaways, 30th against the pass, 28th in interceptions and 31st in red-zone defense. (If you’re looking for bright spots, the Saints finished 13th in points allowed and 12th against the run).

In other words, Williams’ 2011 with the Saints was comparable to Jerry Gray’s 2012 with the Titans, when Tennessee’s defense posted some horrific numbers: 27th overall, 32nd in points allowed, 24th against the run, 26th against the pass and 30th in red-zone defense.

Williams’ final memory with the Saints wasn’t a good one either, as his defensive unit was torched by Alex Smith, Vernon Davis and the San Francisco 49ers in a 2011 playoff loss. Smith threw for 299 yards and three touchdowns, Davis caught seven passes for 180 yards and two touchdowns, and the 49ers scored two TDs in the final 2:11 of the contest against a Saints’ defense that was criticized as too passive.

Williams’ contract ran out after that season and he quickly took a new job under Jeff Fisher in St. Louis. Saints coach Sean Payton, asked at the time if he ever offered Williams a new contract, said, “We never really got to that spot.”

So what would hiring Williams as a defensive assistant in some capacity mean for the Titans?

It’s reasonable to believe he’d provide a boost, given his wealth of experience and knowledge, and because he’d bring a more aggressive mindset to the defense. But there were plenty of whispers that offenses had figured out how to handle Williams’ gambling defenses in New Orleans. After all, in his three years there, the Saints never finished above 13th in the league in sacks and they only once finished higher than 20th in takeaways.

I certainly don’t think one should judge Williams based solely on 2011, or even solely on the three years he spent with the Saints, considering that in his overall career as a defensive coordinator (12 years), he’s produced five top-10 defenses.

But if you use that argument, you certainly can’t judge Gray on just one awful year either. In the six years Gray has been a defensive coordinator, he’s twice produced defenses that ranked second in the league.

Share on Facebook

Posted In: Analysis, League News, Team News

Source: Titans Insider

I love how people are making a big deal with Williams but our DC now gave up the most points in franchise history and its ok to look the other way. I dont see how in anyway this can hurt our 30th ranked defense.

Really, people want change and better coaching and I think this potentially addresses both of those situations. In fact, you now have a guy in place to take over if Munch gets the axe...

NFL-bounty-gate.jpg

i wonder when munch will bring in someone to be the assistant assistant head coach to run the offensive side of the ball with loggains

Having a senior assistant in McGinnis seemed to yield better results in 2011 but honestly i'm not sure what that job entails. I thought Munch retained Mcginnis mainly to help with that initial year as Munch learned the HC job but Fisher hired Mcginnis to do the same thing with all his experience.

Wiliams could be helpful to the offense also by giving his input on how he would defense Locker or how he would try and stop CJ. I don't see how it could hurt to have a guy with that experience level and intelligence.

So now 13th in points allowed is the same as 32nd?? :crazy: I don't give a crap about giving up yards, as long as the opponent doesn't score.

And in those 2 seasons, did he happen to be DC for a Gregg Williams led Buffalo Bills?

Who writes this shit??

What is Williams's role going to be? He's not going to be the DC. Though I understand they are friends, I can't imagine any circumstance where Gray wants someone coming in and looking over his shoulder the entire season.

If we want to gaze into what Williams might bring the Titans in the role of assistant head coach, then I'd think his HC experience with the Bills would be a better indications and his BEST season was 8-8.

I'm personally not interested in his baggage (regardless of how dumb I thought the entire Bountygate thing was). He, like just about any successful coach, is very average unless he had solid talent to execute his game plan. Munch must think he can add something so will be interested in what that is.

What is Williams's role going to be? He's not going to be the DC. Though I understand they are friends, I can't imagine any circumstance where Gray wants someone coming in and looking over his shoulder the entire season.

If we want to gaze into what Williams might bring the Titans in the role of assistant head coach, then I'd think his HC experience with the Bills would be a better indications and his BEST season was 8-8.

I'm personally not interested in his baggage (regardless of how dumb I thought the entire Bountygate thing was). He, like just about any successful coach, is very average unless he had solid talent to execute his game plan. Munch must think he can add something so will be interested in what that is.

I think he wants to add some experience to the defensive coaching staff. Which is not a bad idea. Also he has experience running a hybrid 4-3/3-4 which could suit us well.

As to his record as head caoch. I do hear that. Some things to consider though. First, it was Buffalo. Second, he was probably too green to be a head coach when he took the job in the first place. Since then he has spent time coaching under Joe Gibbs and went on to win a Super Bowl in his next job. Third, plenty of coaches have won Super Bowls after be fired from a head coaching position: Tom Coughlin, Bill Belichick, Don Shula, Mike Shanahan, Dick Vermiel are names I can think of.

At this point I see the Greg Williams hire as a "Glass half full" situation.

I think Williams would bring more of a hard edge and an attitude. Bring more fire and brimstone than Munch has shown.

Both Gray and Williams would be working toward the same goal which is having a top notch defense. If the Titans defense gets turned around then it will go along way toward advancing both of their careers.

Certain things can't be measured in stats. What Williams will bring is an identity.

Too often in 2012 we looked a step behind, as if we weren't sure how to play football.

No way Williams will stand for any of that.

I'm excited to see how his aggressive style will work for this group. I tend to think it'll do wonders.

The few times we did blitz in 2012 we forced QB's to make a lot of bad throws. But for whatever reason Jerry Gray backed off blitzing established QB's in fear of them burning us.

Tom Brady was the only guy I recall hurting us when we blitzed him, but we also smashed his face up quite nicely.

Gotta blitz more.

To me I think what he did was smart. The best way to win a game is to take out the other teams best player. I see nothing wrong with it at all. Its football, its a physical game, and these athletes are getting paid millions of dollars to compensate their risk of injury.

To me I think what he did was smart. The best way to win a game is to take out the other teams best player. I see nothing wrong with it at all. Its football, its a physical game, and these athletes are getting paid millions of dollars to compensate their risk of injury.
He was just stupid for speaking about it publicly.

Anyone who's played organized football naturally wants to take out the other teams best players.

No one likes getting beat.

But talking about it to Goodell, dumb.

Roger Goodell knows nothing about football, so like a housewife when he hears "bounty", he assumes the worst.

He was just stupid for speaking about it publicly.

Anyone who's played organized football naturally wants to take out the other teams best players.

No one likes getting beat.

But talking about it to Goodell, dumb.

Roger Goodell knows nothing about football, so like a housewife when he hears "bounty", he assumes the worst.

He was also thrown under the bus by Peyton and the Saints who tried to pin it all on him in a vain attempt to escape culpability. They tried to make him their "John D. Lee" and get off scott free. Thankfully Goodell was a least bright enough to see through that crap.

Goodell might not know football but at least he is smart enough to ask questions.

Certain things can't be measured in stats. What Williams will bring is an identity.

Too often in 2012 we looked a step behind, as if we weren't sure how to play football.

No way Williams will stand for any of that.

I'm excited to see how his aggressive style will work for this group. I tend to think it'll do wonders.

The few times we did blitz in 2012 we forced QB's to make a lot of bad throws. But for whatever reason Jerry Gray backed off blitzing established QB's in fear of them burning us.

Tom Brady was the only guy I recall hurting us when we blitzed him, but we also smashed his face up quite nicely.

Gotta blitz more.

I agree. I would much rather watch us get burned a few times while playing aggressive than watch the D conceding 10 yards at a time and let teams convert 90% of thier 3rd downs on their way to a TDs every drive.

At least when you play aggressive you will make some big plays every once in a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back