Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.

archived

Prospect
LEGEND
Moola
What was once overpaying isn't anymore. The cap has gone up dramatically. Whenever that happens, salaries also go up. We're just seeing the new price of doing business in the NFL.

Sure, some of the contracts signed so far were pretty extravagant. But that's the norm for guys who sign in the first say or 2 of free agency.

Maybe, maybe not. I'm just saying that "market value" has gone up with the new salary cap. Realistically, it's gone up about 10%.

Puck said:
so Givens should be worth about $15 mil over 7 years
How did you come up with those numbers?

My 10% is actually as compared to what the salary cap would have been a week ago under the old CBA. If you want to compare with last offseason, the cap has actually gone up 19% in the span of 1 year (from $85.5M to $102M). And next year it will be about $107M, which would be $25% in 2 years.

$25M now was worth roughly $20M had he signed last offseason. I think you'll find that that's not too insane, especially in a market devoid of top WRs.

I understand some of the cap increase was used up by minimum salary increases also. For some reason I thought the cap was $94mil this year though.

smili said:
I understand some of the cap increase was used up by minimum salary increases also. For some reason I thought the cap was $94mil this year though.

yeah the minimum salaries have increased and I think 94 million was what it was going to be without a new CBA.

SK...nice to see you've come around. We're a little late to the party IMO, but I am glad to see us doing something. Any coincidence that you've changed your tune as we are actually making a few moves?

Puck said:
sarcasm

Givens isn't worth $25 over 5

let him earn his $25 through incentives and bonuses

i wouldn't guarantee him more than 2-3 per

I am all for a good contract that is less than what he wants, plus incentives to push him to where he wants, or even a little over it.

Basically, if he's going to produce over 1000 yards a season, then I'm for paying him like it. Shoot, if he produces close and helps Bennett produce like he did in Mason's last year, I'd almost be for it, too.

yeah G

if the guy can come in and by next year be grab 70+ and sniff 850+ .....
and if he can convert 50+ first downs like in '04
then I wouldn't mind letting him roll in some dough

but I don't like contributing a large sum to a career #2

now, since we're on discussion of "maybe it'll work" I'll offer this

Eric Moulds

royhobbs said:
SK...nice to see you've come around. We're a little late to the party IMO, but I am glad to see us doing something. Any coincidence that you've changed your tune as we are actually making a few moves?
Come around to what? I said they didn't have to sign anyone immediately and that they should get good value. As I said to begin this thread, what looks like overpaying in some cases is actually close to market value now, it's just that prices have gone up due to inflation (if you will).

That's not to say that all the deals are for market value. The big names still do get overpaid right away. That's just the way it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back