Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.

archived

Prospect
LEGEND
Moola
My daughter made her college decision last night to go to Hendrix College in Conway, Ark. Very small and very good liberal arts school...in layman's terms, that means it is expensive. Thank goodness for free money. Arkansas I can do without, but she loves the school.

Now we take you back to your regularly scheduled program....

Small world -- I know someone whose daughter started at Hendrix last year. I'd never heard of it before then. Congratulations!

When my son was applying, I told him that I'd give him 50% of the scholarship value in cash. I thought that was a good incentive for him, but it still saved me half.

Congratulations_0907.jpg

Thanks folks! I had never heard of Hendrix either, but supposed to be a very good school. Hate her going to far away (Arkansas? It has to be a good school for her to want to go there....), but she also informed me that she now wants to go to Vandy law school, so hopefully we will get her back.

Congrats, it's an excellent school. Vandy Law is really competitive, tell her to keep her GPA up, that's what kept me out. Even if your LSAT is better than what they usually get, you need a good GPA, and it's easy to forget that in undergrad. For now, Congrats.

Thanks GoTitan...

When she was deciding on her 2 final schools (Hendrix & Centre), she called Georgetown Law to get some advise from the Law School perspective to see if they could some how help decide (they were so close - offered same scholarships), but the folks at Georgetown didn't help at all. To use a Southern term, they were hateful. Then on a whim she went to Vandy Law School (she didn't before because she was afraid it might be more biased towards one over the other) and they were great. Now she is really looking at ending up there. I know she will work hard and hopefully maintain the great GPA (top 10 in her class :) ), so maybe she can make it.

I am just glad to hear others have actually heard of Hendrix!

Gunny...

Kind of hard to explain. This school is very small, around 1100 kids. Usually Liberal Colleges are private, high education schools. I kind of liken it to a place you go to "expand your horizons", meaning to really find out what you want to do when you grow up.

Liberal arts schools generally teach a broader curriculum including a good deal of history, language and social siences as opposed to a career track in something like say engineering. A person with a bachelor's (4 year degree) in Liberal Arts often goes into teaching, writing, etc., but most use their Liberal Arts education as a stepping stone to a graduate degree in other high paying fields.

If you can afford it and you are a dedicated student, it's an excellent way to go. There aren't many 18 year old high school graduates out there who have a good idea of what they want in life. So like VolnTitan said, it's where you find out what you really want to do when you grow up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back