Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.

archived

Prospect
LEGEND
Moola
The release of Isaac Bruce intrigues me. When you hear Bruce’s now former teammates speak of him they always do so in glowing terms. His superior work ethic and willingness to tutor young teammates are often cited. This praise is born out in the success the Rams have often had with their young wideouts. I think Bruce would be an excellent free agent for the Titans to consider signing. Rather than spending free agent dollars on someone with potential (like David Givens for example), I think that money would be more wisely spent on an established pro such as Bruce. I never thought the Titans had any shot of signing a high priced free agent like Reggie Wayne had he become available, but Bruce considering his age and the cash strapped situation many clubs find themselves in this off season, might be a viable option for the Titans.

I dunno
Bruce is like 33 now

damn '95 was an awesome year for him (119 / 1781 / 13tds)

but I think he's on his last ferry

I think Bruce would be a great pick up. A one or two year deal to the vet minimum would be do-able. Even though he didn't light it up last year(mostly due to the emergence of the other "younger" recievers), he's still did better than what our WR corp did last year.

When I think of Bruce i think of that TD in the Super Bowl where he burned something like 3 Titans players.
But I agree with Puck, don't go for him, his best and good years are gone

Unless we can get him in like an incentive laden contract, I still think he could be a valuable leader for the young recieving corps. If he can stay healthy, he's still got some spark, and this will probably just motivate him even more.

The way I see it, the Titans don't need to look at free agents they think can only give them a couple of years. What's the point?

The goal should be a couple of seasons of getting ready for a serious run in '08 and beyond. You do that by getting your current talent as much experience as possible and bringing in guys with long-term upside. I don't think we'll see the Titans sinking any more money on 30+ year old vets.

I don’t know how anyone could be comfortable heading into 2006 without adding a veteran wideout. I think the young players on this team should be forced to compete for starting positions not be handed them; Reinforce in them that starting for the Tennessee Titans is a privilege that should not be taken lightly. If the Titans sign Bruce to a two year contract (for what I’m sure would require more than the league minimum), and make him the #1 WR for 2006 and then leave Bennett, Calico, Williams, Roby and Jones to fight over placement on the depth chart, it creates a healthy competitive environment. I realize that at 33 Bruce is long in the tooth, but I think this makes him a perfect fit; an older, respected player to show these young prospects the amount of preparation and dedication it takes to become a star player in the league. I think this leadership area is sorely lacking with the Titans and I think to expect Bennett a guy who was playing QB not too long ago to mentor the receivers in that role is both wishful and flawed thinking.

Gunny said:
You make a good point, but I dont think he will go anywhere except back to St. Louis.

You're probably right, but it is an entirely new coaching staff (and this is a new head coach that just decided to cut him... not too endearing methinks), so perhaps he could be enticed away from the Lambs.

titanbuoy said:
I don’t know how anyone could be comfortable heading into 2006 without adding a veteran wideout.
Bennett is entering his sixth season. Calico his fourth. They both have to be considered veterans. Then you have Williams and Roby (and Jones when he returns) who all need the experience as the Titans "retool". I don't see Reese putting a lot of dollars into the position with that much young talent in it already.

I could see Reese bringing in more experience depending on how they feel about Calico and the return of Jones. But I would think he'd be someone who can stretch the field. Maybe Bobby Wade is that guy.

TitanJeff said:
I could see Reese bringing in more experience depending on how they feel about Calico and the return of Jones. But I would think he'd be someone who can stretch the field. Maybe Bobby Wade is that guy.
Forget Bobby Wade. Give me a few more guys who know how to get open at 15 or 20, and call a few pass plays in that range.

Titans2004 said:
I want Antonio Bryant. He brings the deep threat we need and Sherman will be able to help turn him into a professional.

I could see that happening we could use someone for the right $$$

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back