Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.

archived

Prospect
LEGEND
Moola
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/peter_king/04/30/mmqb.draft/index.html

I did call [Tennessee Titans coach] Jeff Fisher, who I'm very close to, and I know Jeff to a T, and I just said to him, 'Give me Cutler's good points and bad points.' And he said, 'Mike, there are no bad points.' Jeff knows football players. And I thought, if I could get up there around 11, I'm going to try to get him.

That little tid-bit stood out. Reese said no-one called at 3 so I'm thinking Chow wanted Leinart. Fisher wanted Cutler and Reese wanted Young. I think if anyone had called - we would have traded out of there.

I don't think Shanahan was asking Fisher to compare Cutler to Young on the basis of their skills. The question obviously was not based on their football evaluation - Fisher would assume - correctly so - that Shanahan doesn't need his film break down. Shanahan's statement was in answer to a question raised as to how he could trade up to pick a guy he hadn't met. He said basically that he called Fisher to get a read - obviously on character issues. I'd imagine his question was framed "What's this guy like? Give me the good and bad." To which Fisher said he didn't know of any negatives. He didn't say Cutler's the best pick in the draft and I was forced to take Vince instead.

Caphorn said:
Doubtful. It's certainly goofy to imply that Fisher was saying he'd chose Cutler over Young from the Shanahan quote.

you missed the point. The Titans might have been forced to take Young by the man who pays all their salaries. That was discussed on here before the draft.

I understand the point. But pointing to this quote as evidence is really silly. I personally would look at what Jeff has said about Vince and understand it. Whatever you think the motives might have been, he seems pretty happy to have VY in a Titans uniform.

Bud has said clearly that while he supported the Young pick (and wanted it), he left the final decision up to the coaching staff. Fisher is about as little of a kiss *** coach as I've ever known. He's usually extremely plain spoken and straight-forward. He's also been around a long time and held his job longer than most NFL coaches. That's why I doubt all the conspiracy theories.

you have to remember it wasn't Fisher's call as to whom they drafted, he did have a say in it. Other than Bud who has the final say it was up to Reese. Fisher could be speaking the truth about being forced to pick Young. Will the truth ever be known? Maybe in future.

Taking any of the three QBs isn't the end of the world. Young definately has the most upside so I'm fine with the pick. Now if he looks like Elmer Fud and confused out there I might change my mind but for right now I'm going to hope for the best. It will be a shame when we get beat in the Championship game to a Cutler led Denver team but hey, we got to the Championship game didn't we.

Ewker said:
Fisher could be speaking the truth about being forced to pick Young.

When did he say that? That's what I'm questioning you on. You've got this conspiracy theory going through your head that Fisher was disappointed somehow in not getting Cutler. Sorry, but I don't see an once of support for that in the quote from Shanahan. Again, Shanahan was not asking for a comparison between Vince/Cutler. So how do you make this logical leap that Fisher indicating that Cutler had no "issues" (meaning character issues) means he wanted Cutler over Vince?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back