Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.

archived

Prospect
LEGEND
Moola
In looking back through Robinson's first round picks, its miracle and testament to the talent the team does have that the Titans have had any success at all. I would guess that no other NFL team has had as many first round misses or high draft picks they've let walk during that same window. While he had better luck in the second round, even there he was reluctant to pay to keep the talent the Titans developed.

2016 - Jack Conklin - very good OT; allowed to walk in free agency.
2017 - Corey Davis - decent receiver; allowed to walk in free agency.
2017 - Adoree' Jackson - decent cornerback; allowed to walk in free agency.
2018 - Rashaan Evans - decent LB; allowed to walk in free agency.
2019 - Jeffery Simmons - Elite DT; resigned to a deal.
2020 - Isaiah Wilson - bust OT; was cut, out of NFL.
2021 - Caleb Farley - CB; played in less than half of the games, starting training camp 2023 on
the PUP-P list (a bust until proven otherwise).
2022 - Treylon Burks - Receiver; tremendous upside in 2nd year.

Of his 8 first round picks, only Simmons, Farley and Burks remain on the team. It seems Robinson was content operating this team like a farm team for other franchises. Though I agree that some of those needed to be gone based on performance, that acknowledgment calls into question the judgement of Robinson and his staff at evaluating elite level talent. That says nothing about finding creative ways of keeping the elite talent you do develop (AJ Brown should have never been available to trade, period. In doing so without an adequate replacement, and combined with injuries they killed the 2022 season).

The fact that he did hit on the 2nd round (Henry and Byard) and brought in Tannehill as a backup QB I think bought Robinson some time, but you can't let that much talent walk just to be replaced by players who are projects that need time to develop or heal.

My hope is that Carhon, Vrabel, and Titans' ownership will do a better job moving forward when it comes to players that are chosen at or near the top of the draft: on selection, development, AND finding ways to them around.

Conklin was coming off injury and wanted a big contract.
Davis was crap.
Adoree was crap
Rashaan was fine but we bring in LBs from Kroger and they fit right in.
Simmons big win.
Farley who cares.
Burks has so much to prove for his 1st round selection.

All the negative retrospect and still remains above Ruston Webster.

also disagree that he was content working this team like a farm club as represented by 2 division titles, 4 playoffs births in 6 years (1 miss was a turn around 9-7 from 3-13), a #1 seed, and AFC Championship appearance.

I think his downfall of bad first round selections all culminated in a terrible 2022 campaign that got him canned.
Many of his early moves still look pretty good as the team remained competitive but the bad moves and injuries started to pile up.

The fact that 2 of those guys have barely played at all in the nfl is hilariously bad. Nvm being bad at football, but cant even play the game. Wilson played what 4 snaps and his career is over. Farley has started like 2 games so far into his career and is on the Pup list again. Drafted them back to back years too dayum

He started the culture change... he'll always get my respect for that.

But his being cheap trying to be the perfect GM caught up with him... drafting Conklin, Jackson, Davis, Evans, Wilson, Simmons, Farley, Burks all in the first round - and only 1 of them reaching a second contract with us (not willing to pay) and another in danger of being cut after this year (Farley.)

He started the culture change... he'll always get my respect for that.

But his being cheap trying to be the perfect GM caught up with him... drafting Conklin, Jackson, Davis, Evans, Wilson, Simmons, Farley, Burks all in the first round - and only 1 of them reaching a second contract with us (not willing to pay) and another in danger of being cut after this year (Farley.)

JRob did not start the culture change. Amy Adams Strunk did.

Conklin was coming off an injury so I kind of understand why no long term deal but his 5th year option should have been exercised

AJ wanted big money that we weren't going to pay so get something for him

JRob was an average GM that learned alot in his first run. He effed up a lot later and def blew early draft capital. I can't fault him for that because this was his first gig. He deserved to be fired over the Dodd, Wilson, Farley and letting Conklin and AJB get away from us.

Robinson showed alot of heart when he first took the job. I felt like his decision making got questionable as he went along. Not sure where he is now, I think he is working a concession stand for the jaguars.

No one will convince me JRob was making the decisions himself. I watched every draft and every draft Vrabel was smiling like the cat in the cream. Every pick, Vrabel was happy and high fiving and having himself a great time... Right up until AJ Brown, then he made it absolutely clear he was against it, and JRob lost his job over it...

And I still maintain signing a 25mil a year receiver last year would be the height of stupidity. AJ out prices us. It is what it is.

This is a Tale Of Two Jon Robinsons IMO.
There was the Jrob pre 2019-20 AFC Championship Game, and the JRob after.

Pre AFCCG:

A+ For “Kings Ransom Trade” w/Rams
A+ Trade for Dennis Kelly
A+ Trade for Demarco Murray
A+ Trade for Tannehill
Drafted Henry
Drafted Simmons
Drafted Jonnu
Drafted Byard
Drafted AJ
Drafted Hooker
Drafted Landry