Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last year the Jags signed Hayward who was coming off his 2nd good yr at Denver to a 5yr contract worth $25mil with $10mil guaranteed. Much less than Kearse money and more in line for what I think KVB should get. If you did the old standard back-loaded contract then his cap hit would be less than 3 mil which is easily do able.

The Raiders signed Derrick Burgess to a 5 yr deal worth $17.5 mil with bonuses of $6mil. Another guy that was injury prone and came on strong at the end of last season with Philly.

I think those numbers are what Reese will be offereing.
They are much lower from a cap standpoint than the franchise tag.

I hope KVB is looking to stay here. It'd suck to lose him to a higher offer. But I think he'll show some loyalty after this season.

GLinks said:
I hope KVB is looking to stay here. It'd suck to lose him to a higher offer. But I think he'll show some loyalty after this season.

I think he will stay, possibly even take slightly less to stay with the titans then going to another team.

Vanden Bosch strikes me as some one with a lot of loyalty and "old school values". Granted, I've never met the man but from articles I've read and interviews I've heard of him, he just seems like the highest dollar offer isn't the most important thing. He also doesn't come off as one of our modern "me first" type athletes.

I think he'll be a Titan next year because the Titans will offer him a fair deal. The deal will have some protection for the franchise considering his injury history and I don't think that will offend Vanden Bosch. He seems to be a realistic man and he knows as well as anyone his injury history as well as the Titans do. Another plus the Titans have in resining Vanden Bosch is the great relationship that he's developed with Washburn. As Forrest Gump said "they're like peas and carrots". They suit each other and seem to admire each other as well.

Vanden Bosch could be a great block to build the "new" Titans off of. He's a no nonsense, give it all, hardnose player. The past few articles I've read over the past week have questioned what identity the Titans will take on over the next few years. Vanden Bosch's identity would be one I'd be proud of as a fan. McNair on offense, Vanden Bosch on defense, you can't get much tougher or have much more class than those two. They don't talk, they just line up and lead by example.

fitantitans said:
Is the 6.5 mil for one year?

6.5 might not be a terrible deal for the Titans. It is only for one year but the Titans would not be risking signing him to a long term contract that could effect the CAP long term. If he duplicates his performance maybe we sign him long term. If he comes back to earth or gets injured we are off the hook. If another team wants him bad enough we get two first round picks as compensation. Something to think about if we can find the CAP space.

If KVB signs for a similar deal to Hayward, 5yr contract worth $25mil with $10mil guaranteed we are looking at a 5 million per year CAP hit and would have to pay out around 13 million of that in the first year (salary and bonus). If KVB tanks or gets hurt we still have to eat the remainder of the bonus (assume 4 years remaining at 2 million per year) on our CAP which would be accelerated over one or two years depending on when he was released. 25 million over 5 years may not be out of the question but I'm sure Reese would try to spread the bonus over a couple of years (like a roster bonus) to help protect himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back