Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.

archived

Prospect
LEGEND
Moola
SUMMARY: With a new agreement in place between the owner and players, the salary cap will be part of the NFL for the next six seasons. $850-$950 million will be added to player's salaries during that time. The '07 salary cap will increase to $102 million which is 20 percent higher than last season's $85.5 million. Free agency will begin Saturday and a few teams may have to cut players in order to meet it. The Titans should have around $14-$16 million to spend in free agency. "We don’t know all the rules that are going to be attached to whatever the agreement is. It’s going to take a few hours to figure that out," Reese said. "But it takes us to a position to where we’ve kind of gone from the middle of the pack to closer to the top [in money to spend]. We’re thrilled with the fact that we’re kind of out of cap jail in one year." The agreement also opens negotiations again with QB Steve McNair as the two sides are hoping to reach an agreement on an extension to lower a $23.463 cap number.

What do you think about this article? Post your comments below.

"But it takes us to a position to where we’ve kind of gone from the middle of the pack to closer to the top [in money to spend]. We’re thrilled with the fact that we’re kind of out of cap jail in one year."

err how the hell does he work that out? we'd still be in the middle seeing as everyone got the same amount of extra cap space.

If they can get something done with McNair, the Titans could have close to $20 mil for free agency.

It's been a while since the Titans were players in FA.

Gunny said:
err how the hell does he work that out? we'd still be in the middle seeing as everyone got the same amount of extra cap space.
I assume they mean based on total team profit rather than cap room. The teams with the top revenues are now giving up a big chunk of that money to the pool that goes to smaller teams. The Titans should fall just below the teams that have to contribute.

maybe I wouldn't make a good GM

:greedy:
TitanJeff said:
If they can get something done with McNair, the Titans could have close to $20 mil for free agency.

It's been a while since the Titans were players in FA.
I wonder whether we would really be players in FA. I consider us a player if we go after Brees,E. James,Milloy, C.Chavous, Vanderjagt, Vinatieri, Archuleta, Randle El....True veteran impact players:greedy:
I know about all the 2nd tier FAs but It would be nice to fill our holes with proven impact players

The biggest positions of need right now seem to be WR and LB. That's where I'd throw my cap room. There aren't any #1 WRs to be had, though.

Center could be Jacob Bell's job to lose if that's where they want him (with Amano as the backup), but if they aren't sure they could go after a vet.

Maybe RT, but I'd bet on them going with Stewart or Loper.

Safety is possible, but at this point I think they'll move Lamont to SS and start Fuller at FS.

TitanJeff said:
When was the last time the Titans (Oilers) were $25M under the cap?
Possibly during the vagabond years where they could recruit a veteran free agent to save their life. If not then, probably never...

Starkiller said:
Center could be Jacob Bell's job to lose if that's where they want him (with Amano as the backup), but if they aren't sure they could go after a vet.
I've not heard of this Jacob Bell moving to center rumor. Where did it originate?

When they drafted him, they said he has played every position along the Oline (a la Bruce Matthews). I'm just suggesting that since the guard slots are both filled that he could start at center. Hell, Hartwig had never played center at any level before he got the start there...

I have no inside info to base it on, just supposition. But I'm all for it...

Remember Hartwig had never played center before he got here, and that worked out fairly well. If a guy has skills, Munch can coach him up.

Wow, 14-16 million below the CAP or more. Now we have the bucks to sign Hartwig, T. Williams, Kassel, and Boiman.......

NOT

With that kind of room we have some options.

Im lovin this, the Titans better hurry up and start getting some business done. Since alot of teams have cap room, I think free agents will be going fast. They finally have some flexiblity to fill much needed holes. I HOPE THEY TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THIS!!!! I WANT TO WIN!!!!!!!

does this mean we could cut McNair this yr and be done with his money once and for all. Let Volek be the starter this yr and work the rookie QB in some then next yr he is on his own

Ewker said:
does this mean we could cut McNair this yr and be done with his money once and for all. Let Volek be the starter this yr and work the rookie QB in some then next yr he is on his own

Not if you want to win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back