Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.

archived

Prospect
LEGEND
Moola
We are talking about guys who can sit on the practice squad for a year. Make the team in year 2 as a backup and then if they surprise and develop could make a play for a starting job after that.

I like what I see in Aqueel Glass from Bama A&M. Classic size and skill set. 6'5 220. Good arm. Room for development. Can add 10 lbs to frame.

I like him as much or better than Jack Coan out of Wisconsin.

Projected rd 6.

I don’t see the upside long term in Jack Coan. As a Notre Dame fan I watched every snap he took this year and he pretty much is what he is. Highly accurate on the short to intermediate throws, but doesn’t have much touch or accuracy 20 yards plus. He also has limited pocket mobility and doesn’t throw well off platform. Once the defense forced him to move his feet the play was pretty much dead.

Desmond Ridder certainly became more intriguing after running a 4.5 40. I thought he was more similar Jared Goff or Derek Carr athletically. Now I'm thinking he's closer to someone like Justin Fields or Deshaun Watson. Problem is, we don't have a 2nd round pick currently and he might not even last to us in the 3rd round, so we might have to trade up. You don't typically trade up to get a QB outside of the 1st round.

We are talking about guys who can sit on the practice squad for a year. Make the team in year 2 as a backup and then if they surprise and develop could make a play for a starting job after that.

I'd be curious to know how often this actually happens. Can anyone think of an example of a QB who:
  • Drafted late round
  • Spends a year on the PS
  • Backs up for a year or two
  • Then starts
  • All for the team that drafted them
From what I've seen, successful late round QBs (which are very rare) fall into two categories:
  1. Guys like Brady who are good early on
  2. Guys who end up starting for another team

Gardner Minshew and Tyrod Taylor are the only late round QBs I can think of recently who have made meaningful starts for a team that wasn't filling in for someone injured. Maybe Taysom Hill. Either way, those aren't ringing endorsements for taking a late round QB.

Gardner Minshew and Tyrod Taylor are the only late round QBs I can think of recently who have made meaningful starts for a team that wasn't filling in for someone injured. Maybe Taysom Hill. Either way, those aren't ringing endorsements for taking a late round QB.

A lot of low cards in that hand

+ another waste of a pick.

1) We are pretty okay at doing well with low round picks
2) low round picks are trade capital. I'd rather trade a late pick for an earlier next year pick and maybe use that pick to get a vet during the season.

Desmond Ridder certainly became more intriguing after running a 4.5 40. I thought he was more similar Jared Goff or Derek Carr athletically. Now I'm thinking he's closer to someone like Justin Fields or Deshaun Watson. Problem is, we don't have a 2nd round pick currently and he might not even last to us in the 3rd round, so we might have to trade up. You don't typically trade up to get a QB outside of the 1st round.
I think of all the QBs in this draft, Ridder fits the Titans mold the most. Also, his college coach Luke Fickell was on the Ohio State coaching staff with Vrabel, and they've stayed close. I can definitely see Fickell trying to sell the idea of Ridder to Vrabel and I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that we take him late in the 1st if they think he can turn into a starter in the next year or two after sitting behind Tanne.

I'd be curious to know how often this actually happens. Can anyone think of an example of a QB who:
  • Drafted late round
  • Then starts
From what I've seen, successful late round QBs (which are very rare) fall into two categories:
Brady sat his first full year and as we know, only started because of injury. Does Kurt Warner count?

I guess it depends on what is considered a late pick? Russ was a 3rd round QB expected to be a backup. I think he just blew everyone away in training camp. Nick Foles was a 3rd. Dak and Kirk "money bags" Cousins were 4ths.

You're right though, pretty much everyone else drafted was a bum. Not even quality backup. Including our failed attempts with Mettenberger, Luke Falk, and Old McDonald.

• Drafted late round
  • Then starts
Bart Starr, Roger Staubach, Mark Rypien... All I got.

• Drafted late round
  • Then starts
Kirk Cousins McDuck is the only one I can think of that was drafted as a backup and ended up taking the reigns and becoming a long term starter.

Kirk Cousins McDuck is the only one I can think of that was drafted as a backup and ended up taking the reigns and becoming a long term starter.

Winner-Winner-Chicken-Dinner_280x183.png

Hey, we have a winner! It actually happened lol

I think of all the QBs in this draft, Ridder fits the Titans mold the most. Also, his college coach Luke Fickell was on the Ohio State coaching staff with Vrabel, and they've stayed close. I can definitely see Fickell trying to sell the idea of Ridder to Vrabel and I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that we take him late in the 1st if they think he can turn into a starter in the next year or two after sitting behind Tanne.
Rider is SO boom or bust. His bad traits are the same as Tannehill’s which are ball placement issues. I absolutely do not want him - which of course means we will take him at 26.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back