Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's kinda sad when you have to rework the contracts of two guys who signed their rookie deals less than a year ago because your QB can't take a bigger pay cut than 10 mil per year.

He'll cost the same to us whether he's cut or traded. If we trade him, the team that trades for him will owe him the $9M base.

He'll count about $13.5M under the cap if we cut/trade him. Count an extra $1M if they've already given him the $1M bonus, but I think Floyd said they had not yet.

And you guys wanna rag on the Colts for all the money we have tied up in the offense :rotfl: .

It will be interesting to see what happens with the 3 day extension. Still lots of decisions to be made, for sure, but if you guys keep McNair for that much $ you have no room to laugh at the decisions Polian has made in regards to Manning, Harrison, etc.

wino said:
And you guys wanna rag on the Colts for all the money we have tied up in the offense :rotfl: .

It will be interesting to see what happens with the 3 day extension. Still lots of decisions to be made, for sure, but if you guys keep McNair for that much $ you have no room to laugh at the decisions Polian has made in regards to Manning, Harrison, etc.
Just wait for Manning's contract to run a few more years...

The Titans spent years keeping the team under the cap by renegotiating McNair's contract. We knew that eventually it would come back to bite them, but that was the price for keeping a contending team together. So now it's time to pay the piper.

Is the production McNair gives the Titans worth $10 mil more than what they can get from Volek? I don't think so. $10 mil would bring in some serious help on the defensive side of the ball.

Maybe a new CBA gives the Titans the $10-$15 mil they need to bring in some free agents. But if that cap number stays the same, I don't see the McNair a Titan entering the season unless he gets a new deal.

I completely agree Jeff. Trade or cut McNair, draft a QB and let him or Volek start. Use the money saved from McNair to upgrade through FA.

We're not likely to go to the SB this season anyways.

I think a trade would be tempting at this point. I don't want to see us "rework" the deal. All that will do is lower the CAP hit this year but will add more garbage in future years. This team is at a point where we should care more about two and three years down the road than next year. McNair could not even be our starting QB and still be costing us 10 mil on the CAP. Take the hit and move on IMO. If we can work a trade to a team like the Dolphins for a 2nd or 3rd round pick that would be fine with me.

One of the things Mac and Bus Cook need to realize is that its really hard for the team to get any new offensive weapons to surround Steve with when he has a 9 million base salary. If Steve wants to ride off into the sunset on a winning horse, he needs to come down on his demand.

With McNair and the Titans there are three scenarios IMO.
1. Finish this year as a mentor to our new QB and retire.
2. Go to another team via trade and have a shot in the next few years at a title.
3. Reduce his salary demands by atleast 5 million per year over the next 3 years and be part of the rebuilding hoping to be in the playoffs.

By demanding 10 million per year he is forcing the Titans to either trade, cut or keep him only one more year which will be a down year. Right now I see no scenario for McNair having any chance at a ring with the Titans.

TitanJeff said:
Is the production McNair gives the Titans worth $10 mil more than what they can get from Volek? I don't think so. $10 mil would bring in some serious help on the defensive side of the ball.

right you are

that $10mill could be used on some FA help
but, from what I gathered from SK, the hit is the same whether we keep him or not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back