Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.

archived

Prospect
LEGEND
Moola
SUMMARY: Indications are that Titans QB Steve McNair wishes to play next season though his contract will need to be reworked. No real progress can be made towards a new contract because a new Collective Bargaining Agreement between players and owners remains unsettled. 2006 is the last year for a salary cap under the current agreement. "We'd like to figure something out sooner rather than later," Reese said. "But some of the issues dealing with the CBA and how we handle money and things like that over the next few years have become issues. There are things that we have never dealt with, so we are kind of trying to fight our way through those things before we sit down and propose a bunch of deals."

What do you think about this article? Post your comments below.

Can someone who is following the CBA issue share what the holdup is? I'd think a number of teams will be in this same situation if an agreement is not reached soon.

TitanJeff said:
Can someone who is following the CBA issue share what the holdup is? I'd think a number of teams will be in this same situation if an agreement is not reached soon.
The big issue is that the players want more of the league's revenues to be shared and figured into the salary cap. But that's things like club seating, luxury suite revenues, and local sponsor revenue. The problem is that smaller market teams invariably will make less income in those areas than large market teams, not to mention teams with new stadiums have the edge on teams with old stadiums (without club seats and suites). For that to happen, the big-market teams are going to have to share more of their revenues to keep the small-market teams competitive, but they don't want to.

I'm sure there are other issues than that, but that's the deal breaker for now.

Actually, they only get a percentage of the shared revenues. They may also want a bigger percentage, too, but the big issue is that they get 0% of certain sources of revenue.

So what happens if an agreement isn't reached soon after the end of the season? Will teams be able to do anything in the way of contracts?

TitanJeff said:
So what happens if an agreement isn't reached soon after the end of the season? Will teams be able to do anything in the way of contracts?
If no new CBA is agreed upon before then, 2007 will be an uncapped year. Then there will be a lockout/strike in 2008.

As for 2006, it won't be completely different, but the cap won't work exactly the way we're used to. For example, teams won't get any extra cap relief by releasing players after June 1. And incentives will all count immediately under the cap. And players won't become 2007 UFAs unless they have been in the league for 6 years.

fitantitans said:
Do we want to redo McNairs contract? I can see keeping him for one more year until our new QB gets settled in. But anything over a year would be a waste of money.
They will redo his contract if he doesn't retire.

I think the lack of a CBA extension also decreases the limit, as it as each of the last several years, how many years over which new guaranteed/bonus money can be prorated.

It went from 7 to 6 to 5 over the last three years, I believe. I heard Mark Howard say (but haven't confirmed through reading the CBA) that in '06, that would shrink again to 4 years.

All of which complicates the options available to renegotiate contracts where new bonus money is involved.

fitantitans said:
Do we want to redo McNairs contract? I can see keeping him for one more year until our new QB gets settled in. But anything over a year would be a waste of money.

Which "new QB" would that be? :suspect:

I hope we can get something worked out with McNair. I think it would be good for him to stay, he's been under Chow's system for a year, and if he left he'd have to start over again with another coordinator. As for another QB, I'd like to see us draft a QB in the first 4 rounds next year, or go get a good young QB from another team. Phillip Rivers of San Diego will be available. Kyle Orton or Rex Grossman won't both be in Chicago next year.

JDee

I'd like to keep hime too. He looked pretty good today. It was kind of like they were getting into the groove a little. It could only be better next year.

jdee..

Kyle Orton or Rex Grossman won't both be in Chicago next year.
--------------------------------------

That's not true at all. Grossman will be entering his 4th season next year and will be the starter for a long time. Orton a rookie this year was a 4th rd pick and doesn't make huge money. Why would the bears draft a guy like orton and let him go the very next season? There is no reason at all for either of those guys to not be there.

d

hey jeff, take this as a very good compliment...The pick on your handle bears a striking resemblance to einstein that I never noted until you placed them side by side. 

and btw, why did my keyboard start typing like this all of a sudden?!

sirjesse said:
and btw, why did my keyboard start typing like this all of a sudden?!

lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back