Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.

archived

Prospect
LEGEND
Moola
SUMMARY: With the Titans picking third in the upcoming NFL Draft, GM Floyd Reese is extremely positive about his options. "I think at this point, those guys are probably as highly rated as a top group that has come out in a while. They all look to be great players," Reese said yesterday. "Now what happens two or three years from now, of course we don't know. But you have two Heisman Trophy winners, and all three have won a national championship. You start listing all the things that would classify you as a 'star' and probably those three guys have more of those than any three have come out in a while." Reese also did not rule out a tradedown if the right offer was presented. "That is way out there, but the (third) pick is going to have value," said Reese. "Of course, if someone is willing to pay, then of course there is a price. Those spots can always be bought, it just depends on how much you want to pay."

What do you think about this article? Post your comments below.

Trade down? I scoff at that. There isn't enough draft gold on earth to meet Reese's price, whatever it is. Think about it. Reese wants this that and the other thing. There is no way were are trading down.

I wouldn't mind trading down, because I'm sure Reese would be really stingy with it, but I seriously doubt it would happen...

I don't mind the idea of trading down to pick 6, 7 or 8. No way Cutler gets past the Lions at 9.

It's kind of a great position to be in. I'm sure the Titans front office would be pretty happy with any of the top three guys, so we can't be considered a motivated seller. That being the case in order for someone to acquire the pick they would have to make an offer that is in itself enough to really motivate the Titans to make the deal and I'm sure the teams looking to trade up are quite aware of that (a sweet position to be in really).

I noticed Reese made reference to the Ricky Williams deal where NO traded their whole draft and a few picks the next year. That is the kind of trade Reese would have a hard time turning down IMO especially if the trading partner has a decently high 1st rounder. Our best case scenario for a trade down is for Houston and NO to take the two QBs leaving Bush on the board. Bush would bring the most value in a trade ala Ricky Williams IMO simply because he can be an immediate impact player for any team looking to make strides right away.
I also noticed Reese acknowledged that Cutler was the #3 QB which wasn't surprising but Reese also noted he could move up. I wonder if Reese thinks Cutler could push one of the top two. Cutler might have as much upside longterm and is a good blend between Young and Leinart.

If a trade down does happen, I'd like to see Reese get an additional first rounder next year as well as a king's ransom this year.

I like the comment about Cutler... when Reese describes him as a mix between Young and Leinart. If we trade down a spot or two (2), pickup the lost 3rd and get Cutler... that would be the ideal situation. That being said... I would have no problem drafting Cutler with the 3rd over all pick. Im telling you, afte the Senior-bowl and Combine... Cutlers value is going to Catapulted into the top 5.

Titanpride said:
I like the comment about Cutler... when Reese describes him as a mix between Young and Leinart. If we trade down a spot or two (2), pickup the lost 3rd and get Cutler... that would be the ideal situation. That being said... I would have no problem drafting Cutler with the 3rd over all pick. Im telling you, afte the Senior-bowl and Combine... Cutlers value is going to Catapulted into the top 5.

I can't see any scenario that Cutler would jump over Young. What players do in games is always more important than what they do at a combine. Young isn't playing at the Senior Bowl and most QB's that do play only get limited time. I think the best Cutler can hope for is that he keeps his 3rd QB slot...

I do think that he might be considered by a team like the Jets if he has an exceptional Senior Bowl and a good workout though...

I think it is important to keep in mind the scheme of the Titans offense. If Fisher & Co have bought into the Chow system, you'd think they would want Leinart over Young if given a choice. Leinart is the more polished QB and already familiar with Chow. He would likely be ready to step in as early a late in the '06 season if needed. Young is likely two seasons away from taking the reins and the Titans offense may have to go into another direction in order to take advantage of Young's strenghs.

You'd think Bush is the ultimate prize if Chow could have his choice. But I doubt that is an option though I hope the Texans take Young at #1.

I don't buy into the whole 'Young needs two years to be ready' propoganda. I've seen them say that about plenty of qb's including Big Ben who stepped in after a few games and went undefeated. He has talent and running ability. As long as we can get him into camp I think he will be ready by the end of this season to at least be productive. I think he can definately start by next season.

I'm sure Leinart could be ready to start from day one, but the more important question is.. "do we want him starting for us in 5 years ?".

My biggest problem with Leinart is that I've seen him get dinged up and come out of games on several occasions this year. He doesn't seem very tough and sticking him behind our line as it stands now is like giving away our 3rd pick.

Titans2008 said:
I can't see any scenario that Cutler would jump over Young. What players do in games is always more important than what they do at a combine. Young isn't playing at the Senior Bowl and most QB's that do play only get limited time. I think the best Cutler can hope for is that he keeps his 3rd QB slot...

I do think that he might be considered by a team like the Jets if he has an exceptional Senior Bowl and a good workout though...
I agree with what your saying, but Cutler didn't have near the talent to work with like Young did. If Cutler played on a Texas, USC... ect, he would be considered top two or three talent, potentially the top rated QB and more nationally know. Everyone has their certain player they want to see drafted by their team... mine is Cutler. That being said... I would settle for one of the three top QB... Cutler, Leinart or Young. Young being my last choice.

I could see us trading down and taking Cutler. It's going to depend on how they grade Young and who's available when it's our turn to pick. For instance, if NO decides to take Young and Leinhart is still on the board I don't think there's any question which way we'll go.... I think Leinhart is the most desired QB in the draft by any team, hands down. Reese may decide he doesn't want to go the way of another running QB that has qustionable passing concerns that may not fit the Chow scheme of things. They may come across a senerio that allows them to trade down and take Cutler while at the same time picking up another late round pick or maybe a pick for next year. Trading down is certainly an option that Reese hasn't ruled out.

PmanJONES32 said:
what is the deal with young anyway? I thought he was goin to jail for a bit. If thats true, he wont be in the draft
Young going to jail....I think youre getting him confused with Marcus Vick. Young hasnt had any off the field incidents recently

PmanJONES32 said:
what is the deal with young anyway? I thought he was goin to jail for a bit. If thats true, he wont be in the draft

You definitely have him confused with Marcus Vick. That's hilarious. He's the one who shot himself in the foot. (Oh, and I coined him this year's Clarett before the media, and you, too, Puck.)

Hmmm...maybe a little "trouble" is just what we need for Young to have before the draft to get the other teams to pass on him. Who do I know in Texas again? You know, a little Pacman type of incident. :winker:

"What do you mean my peeps can't drink here...son! Young Life! What?!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back