Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.

archived

Prospect
LEGEND
Moola
The Titans didn't ask Leinart to run the 40-yard dash, something he opted not to do at the combine or his Pro Day.

"We've seen enough of him to know that movement is not going to be an issue,'' Reese said. "If you watch film you see him move very efficiently and effectively in the pocket. He has good feet and can move around. He is not a big, slow guy. He is a big guy and he has good feet."

So people didn't see enough of VY to know that movement wasn't going to be an issue? I think it's dumb people cryed when Young didn't run the 40, but didn't when Leinart didn't run it. But lifes not fair. Yeah Leinart isn't a scrambling QB, but that doesn't matter. Will there be situations in the NFL where he has to scramble and run for the first?? Yes.

You really don't get the difference?

Young's selling point, his biggest asset, is his raw physical strength and talent, a huge part of which is his speed. His 40 time is one of the best ways to display that, even if you aren't thinking of him as a running QB, which he is no matter what anyone might try to say to spin it.

Lienart's selling point is his success. He's trying to be different from Vince Young, and downplaying his running. If he's saying it isn't important, isn't trying to sell himself on it, then there isn't a reason for him to run it.

With Vince, he has to show it off.

GoTitans3801 said:
You really don't get the difference?

Young's selling point, his biggest asset, is his raw physical strength and talent, a huge part of which is his speed. His 40 time is one of the best ways to display that, even if you aren't thinking of him as a running QB, which he is no matter what anyone might try to say to spin it.

Lienart's selling point is his success. He's trying to be different from Vince Young, and downplaying his running. If he's saying it isn't important, isn't trying to sell himself on it, then there isn't a reason for him to run it.

With Vince, he has to show it off.

Be real. Leinart didn't run because he couldn't post any time faster than Young's during his pre-workout practice.

Vince wasn't going to run but he did anyway.

I think the writing is on the wall- Leinart is the Titan FO's #1 QB.

Very true, lienart would have been much slower. The point I was trying to make was that he doesn't need to run because he's not trying to say he can run like Young.

What are you basing your "writing is on the wall" conclusion on?

Ok so therefore, since Leinart threw (which is his selling point along with success) and didn't run, then that means Young could not have thrown and everyone would be ok with it right??? I mean running is part of his selling point like you said, not throwing. So if it's ok Leinart doesn't show the parts that aren't his selling point, why does Young have to?

I am just trying to prove a point here. I'm not saying that I feel that Young didn't have to throw, because he def. needed to answer some questions which he did. What I'm saying is why can someone say that Leinart has already showed movement and they've seen enough to know it won't be an issue, when Young has undoubtedly shown that way more and more impressively.

Leinart didn't run because he would have had a much slower time than Cutler and although it doesn't matter in the big scheme of things it could drop his stock if his time was dramatically slower. Without running he loses nothing.

From http://www.gbnreport.com/

gbnreport.com/

(9:00 AM): Titans GM: QB race “close”… Tennessee, which holds the 3rd pick overall at the 2006 with which the Titans are expected to select a QB, pretty much finished up their pre-draft evealution of the top prospects at the position when G.M. Floyd Reese, head coach Jeff Fisher, offensive coordinator Norm Chow and a full contingent of Titans’ receivers put Southern Cal QB Matt Leinart through a private workout yesterday in Los Angeles that included a lengthy classroom session. The Titans will still have Vanderbilt’s Jay Cutler in for a private throwing session later this month, while Texas’ Vince Young will also be by later in the month for a private visit, but according to the Titans the heavy lifting part of the exercise is completed. The Titans though are not tipping their hands as to who they like. Reese was quoted in the local press, for example, as saying: “They’ve all done well; they’re all athletic guys, all knowledgeable guys, they can all spin the ball and they’ve all won. All in all, it’s a pretty good looking group.” Reese added that while Leinart lacks the raw arm strength of Cutler or Young, he has made all the necessary throws and proved himself to be well versed in his offense during the football talk time. Meanwhile, the Titans have taken another step to clearing up their QB situation by telling veteran QB Steve McNair that he was not welcome at the team’s training facility until his contract situation is resolved in a move that could force a showdown to determine whether or not he stays with the team. McNair currently counts $23.5 million against the Titans’ salary cap and has a $9 million base salary for the coming season; he’s also due another $1 million on September 1st. There has been speculation that if McNair does not agree to a radically lowered contract he likely will be released especially if the Titans, as expected, select a QB with the third pick overall.

theprizdfighter,
No, all QBs need to throw, that's ridiculous, as you are well aware. Running is not required of a QB, and on the rare occassions when Matt would have to run, his 40 time is not in the spotlight. However, Young will have to throw more than he will run (or he should). Teams are concerned about Young throwing, they don't care about Matt running. Soxcat had better analysis about why he didn't run than I would have been able to make. From the Teams watching him's standpoint, they don't care about him running.

Soxcat said:
Leinart didn't run because he would have had a much slower time than Cutler and although it doesn't matter in the big scheme of things it could drop his stock if his time was dramatically slower. Without running he loses nothing.

I know this. I'm just trying proving a point.

GoTitans3801 said:
Very true, lienart would have been much slower. The point I was trying to make was that he doesn't need to run because he's not trying to say he can run like Young.

What are you basing your "writing is on the wall" conclusion on?

The FO "locking" McNair out and forcing examination of the contract. It's a gamble to proceed in a confrontational manner. If he walks, then they have to be comfortable bringing in a ready QB. Floyd seemed to be "purring" more about Leinart despite his less impressive pro-day workout than he did about Cutler. This suggests to me, the FO is very comfortable with their "ready" QB options.

in this case tho i think mcnair is just being stingy, hes got more money than everyone on this board put together (unless someones a multi millionare here) but he doesnt need anymore money, its kinda like the pacman jones ordeal at christmas time, everyone on the team puts in 5,000 or something so that the janitors and kitchen workers can have a nice christmas, but pacman didnt do that because he was ONLY making 12 million a year that is when i lost all respect for him and not a fan of him anymore and i got the pacman info from a used to be titan jason matthews(hes a teacher at my school now)

Prizefighter...

I think it's dumb people cryed when Young didn't run the 40, but didn't when Leinart didn't run it.
---------------------

I think it is dumb to not know the difference between the 2 QBs. Nobody is drafting lienart for his running ability and young will be drafted high in good part because of his. You can't see that obvious distinction?

i think the 40 shows more than just pure speed. i think it is a very good indicator for athletic ability. that's why i'm disappointed he didn't run.

i remember him saying " i played baseball in highschool, so i'm a better athlete than people think." then why not display that?

Um, yeah...It's like the scene from Forrest Gump...Jenny cries, "Run Matthew, run!" and Leinart's leg brace magically pops off and he's off to a 4.41.

BiPolar, I'd like to see a picture of that please, if you can, with Leinart, that is.

If you believe Leinart can run a 4.41 40, I've got a bridge to sell you. Do you think if he was faster than Young, he would hide that fact? Leinart is somewhere between 4.8 and 5.0...meaning, with our line, he might end up like Billy Volek....having DT's run him down from behind....and often injured. Strictly based on athletic ability ML is #3 out of 3....and if you took all the QB's in this draft, he is probably in the bottom half. That said, that does not necessarily mean he'll suck in the NFL. That is my personal opinion, though. Of the consensus top seven guys (Bush, Hawk, VY, ML, etc.), I'd take Matt last.

I said this before...in 1995, Reese's first draft, given a similar choice, he took McNair over Collins (another guy from a loaded team) using the logic that McNair could have done as well as Collins at Penn State, but Collins could not have torn it up at Alcorn St like Steve did...or something along those lines. The same can be (has been) said about both Young and Cutler....put them on USC and statistically as well as in the W-L%, they could have done as well as ML, while the inverse scenario is not very likely. The same exact 1995 dilema could present itself on April 29th around 12:30pm EST. I don't know about the rest of you, but I hope to see "deja vu all over again".

GLinks said:
Um, yeah...It's like the scene from Forrest Gump...Jenny cries, "Run Matthew, run!" and Leinart's leg brace magically pops off and he's off to a 4.41.

BiPolar, I'd like to see a picture of that please, if you can, with Leinart, that is.

OK !!! DO YOU SEE IT?
NOW CLICK IT!!!

hahahahahahahahahaha!!!

here's your pic of Leinart...
_40889264_americanf.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back