Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.

archived

Prospect
LEGEND
Moola
Possible restructures according to: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tools/roster/tennessee-titans/

1. Ryan Tannehill: Saves 16 mill
2. Kevin Byard: Saves 8 mill
3. Derrick Henry: Saves 6 mill
4. Taylor Lewan: Saves 7 mill
5. Roger Saffold: Saves 4 mill
6. Bud Dupree: Saves 500K
7. Janoris Jenkins: Saves 10K
8. Denico Autry: Saves 15K
9. Brett Kern: Saves 700K
10. Kendall Lamm: Saves 150K

Out of these guys I'd say we should restructure Tannehill, Lewan, Byard, and Saffold. Rest is fine. Restructuring these 4 guys saves 35 million. Then we can make this roster Super Bowl capable.

Possible restructures according to: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tools/roster/tennessee-titans/

1. Ryan Tannehill: Saves 16 mill
2. Kevin Byard: Saves 8 mill
3. Derrick Henry: Saves 6 mill
4. Taylor Lewan: Saves 7 mill
5. Roger Saffold: Saves 4 mill
6. Bud Dupree: Saves 500K
7. Janoris Jenkins: Saves 10K
8. Denico Autry: Saves 15K
9. Brett Kern: Saves 700K
10. Kendall Lamm: Saves 150K

Out of these guys I'd say we should restructure Tannehill, Lewan, Byard, and Saffold. Rest is fine. Restructuring these 4 guys saves 35 million. Then we can make this roster Super Bowl capable.

IDK if we restructure Saffold. Typically a restructure gives more security to the player and there is a good chance the Titans will cut him next off season.

I forgot all about the restructure last season, and I know this sounds like I am backing up, but I honestly meant to say Lewan and Tannehill. Tannehill because there is so much room to work with.

Didnt Saffold offer to restructure earlier in FA?

I do think if we can restructure Lewan and Byard, I would be for it.

(Saffold) Personally offering is one thing -- It being not an option because of future plans for the franchise is another.

When you restructure contracts it pushes a lot of money down the road and can really screw you on the back end. I only want us to restructure any players if the money is going towards now.

Also I always wonder why. At the end of the year, why don't teams max out the cap all the way and restructure key players. Like, for us if we had 1m left over, why don't we restructure Henry in week 15/16 and give him that 1m, so that we have 1m less on the books the next year. I'm pretty sure 1 or 2 of every teams key players would take that mil or 2 bonus. And if the reason is you might need to sign someone in the post season, then why not wait until your eliminated, then do that same deal and run your cap all the way to 0. You could change what player you did that with every year. It would give you a couple million every year, in some cases it would be a ton of money.

When you restructure contracts it pushes a lot of money down the road and can really screw you on the back end. I only want us to restructure any players if the money is going towards now.

Also I always wonder why. At the end of the year, why don't teams max out the cap all the way and restructure key players. Like, for us if we had 1m left over, why don't we restructure Henry in week 15/16 and give him that 1m, so that we have 1m less on the books the next year. I'm pretty sure 1 or 2 of every teams key players would take that mil or 2 bonus. And if the reason is you might need to sign someone in the post season, then why not wait until your eliminated, then do that same deal and run your cap all the way to 0. You could change what player you did that with every year. It would give you a couple million every year, in some cases it would be a ton of money.
If managed well it can be an effective tool. It’s not necessarily a lot of money each year. 20 mil over 4 years is a 5 mil cap hit and depending on the position, might be in line with the norms. BUT you can’t do it every year or you are in a deep hole before you know it. During the COVID Cap, it makes sense to use it sparingly.

This is why restructuring Saffold may not be a good idea. In restructures either money is pushed or, they take less money in exchange for more of that money being guaranteed.

Given Saffold's age and salary I think it is wise to keep the option open to cut him next off season without a major cap hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back