Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you see the Rose Bowl??? If you go to the NFL Almanac and look up the definition of "intangibles", you'll see a pic of Vince Young! What has Cutler ever done.....set records at the worst school in the SEC? He also looked awful at the Senior Bowl. C'mon, quit blowing smoke!

Does anyone ever remember a QB getting as much hype before the Combine as Culter? Maybe it is because of our location but I find it amazing that anyone thinks he's a better choice than Young or Leinart.

The reason Cutler is getting all the hype, IMO, is that he did great with what he was given at Vandy(not exactly known as a football powerhouse).
Cutlers smarts, arm strength, and mobility make him the perfect median between Young and Leinart. It sure doesnt hurt that people are comparing him to Brett Farve

Vigsted said:
I find it amazing that anyone thinks Mike Vick v2.0 will be that much more successful than Mike Vick v1.0
Young is far from Vick 2.0. Young is a much more polished passer than Vick was when Vick came out

TitanJeff said:
Does anyone ever remember a QB getting as much hype before the Combine as Culter? Maybe it is because of our location but I find it amazing that anyone thinks he's a better choice than Young or Leinart.
I don't think he's getting that much hype. More like attention than hype. Consider that he's a top-10 QB prospect and the only one of the top 3 who is going to even throw at the combine. Add in the fact that most regular people aren't that familiar with him because he went to Vandy. He becomes a major point of interest.

True. With the top three not doing anything, all attention has to go somewhere.

But I do call it hype because few talked about him being more than a middle to late first-round pick and now some mocks have him bumping Young at #3.

Could it be that Young and Leinart have some question marks as far as succeeding at the pro-level that Cutler doesn't have? The hype is over emphasizing what a player did in college against college competition and missing how that talent can translate to the NFL. Leinart might not have a strong enough arm. Young might not be a good enough passer. I would say an argument could be made that there is "hype" over Young and Leinart based on their college careers and when scouts micro analyze how their talent will translate to the NFL they don't have rose colored glasses on. After all the draft isn't a popularity contest, it is about who scouts really believe is going to be the next top of the line QB. I'm not saying Cutler is better or should go before Young and Leinart but I am saying he could be right at their level when objectively analyzing postential in the NFL.

True. But every player has question marks.

This hype isn't coming from NFL Scouts but the "Draft Gurus" who often over-analyze everything and manage to build up someone only to see reality take hold on draft day. Mort announced him the #1 QB before the Senior Bowl. Maylock has had Cutler the #1 QB as since October.

I think this is another Aaron Rodgers situation in the making.

Maybe, but Rodgers (and Kyle Boller) was the guy in the Tedford QB-friendly offense. That doesn't fit Cutler's situation.

If anything, it fits Leinart being surrounded by so much pro talent.

I'd say the hype machine is Vince Young.

Starkiller said:
I'd say the hype machine is Vince Young.
Seriously? I don't follow because, unlike Leinart, didn't have nearly the talent around him and passed for over 3,000 yards while rushing for over 1,000 last season. He had an accurracy of 61.8% over his career (Cutler is 57.2%). And Young had a passer rating of 163.9 (Cutler was 125.9).

You don't need me to post any stats as they are everywhere. But after some research, Young's passing numbers are, IMO, much more impressive than I thought they'd be.

But this is about potential. And I've read in this forum for some time how fans want the Titans to get a football player and not just focus on the measurables. In Young, I see the best of both and unlimited potential.

I'll admit there is risk. But I also don't see how anyone can say that Young is hyped after what he's done in college.

royhobbs said:
What has Cutler ever done.....set records at the worst school in the SEC? He also looked awful at the Senior Bowl.

Every article I've read about the Senior Bowl says that teams are more interested in the practices than the game. In fact, a lot of the scouts leave Mobile before the game is played.

I've got to agree with SK, there is at least as much hype about Young as there is Cutler. And the hype on Vince is based mostly on one game. Yeah, it was the national championship, and yeah, it was one of the greatest single game performances in college football history. But before that game, EVERYONE thought Vince Young needed to come back for his senior year because he wasnt ready for the NFL.

I think people in the Nashville area might be burned out on Cutler because we've been hearing about him for a lot longer.

Well they all get hype. Leinart got hyped all of last season, Young after the Rose Bowl (claiming he's going to change the game is definetly hype in my book) and now Cutler is getting it after the senior bowl and for the upcoming combine.

TitanJeff said:
Seriously? I don't follow because, unlike Leinart, didn't have nearly the talent around him and passed for over 3,000 yards while rushing for over 1,000 last season. He had an accurracy of 61.8% over his career (Cutler is 57.2%). And Young had a passer rating of 163.9 (Cutler was 125.9).

You don't need me to post any stats as they are everywhere. But after some research, Young's passing numbers are, IMO, much more impressive than I thought they'd be.

But this is about potential. And I've read in this forum for some time how fans want the Titans to get a football player and not just focus on the measurables. In Young, I see the best of both and unlimited potential.

I'll admit there is risk. But I also don't see how anyone can say that Young is hyped after what he's done in college.

You might want to read this well done article on Young.
http://www.ajc.com/falcons/content/sports/falcons/stories/0223young.html

The paragraph I thought was interesting was:
"But when I saw a talented defense like Ohio State rush him the way I think you have to rush him, where you're not flying up the field and creating lanes for him to run, where you're just trying to keep four, five people in front of him at all times, he was extremely frustrated. I can show you plays on tape in that game where the pocket is totally intact and he's pulled the ball down and is looking to get out because his internal clock said it's time to go."

At least Cutler and Leinart know how to take a snap from center, go through the progressions and make plays like they will have to make in the NFL. BTW, comparing Young's passing stats with Cutler's makes no sense considering the OL Cutler played behind. No way Young puts those kind of numbers up playing behind Vandy's OL against SEC caliber talent.

Another article on Young and the questions concerning his ability to be a quality NFL passer.

http://www.sportsline.com/spin/story/9260509

The part that is most disturbing to me was that Mack Brown simplified the offense in his senior year because he was not grasping the coaching on how to pick through his recievers. They basically simplified the offense down to one or two options that he would throw the ball to and if those were not open he would automatically run.

Soxcat said:
I saw that game. It made me a believer in Young.

He went into a hostile environment and threw for 270 yards, two TDs and ran for another 76. Yes, he had a couple of picks and didn't protect the ball well at times but he also put together some quality drives against one of the best defenses in the country.

The Buckeyes had a solid gameplan to stop him and he still generated nearly 350 yards of offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back