Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought he deserved his own thread. Didn’t seem right a titan being relegated to cuts and signings around the league. That should be for those less than a Titan.

Simon is a definite upgrade over Skipper. Both from a production standpoint and experience. Having another Super Bowl winner on the team is always beneficial from a culture standpoint. I could see him sliding into the #3 or #4 pass rusher spot based on how Weaver and Roberson look in camp and the preseason. In an ideal world though, the Titans will bring in another impact veteran still to bump all these guys down a notch.

I just don’t think the benchmark is “he is better than the worst player at his position on our team”. He is an upgrade over Skipper, no doubt. But I am frustrated that we signed an injured guy to “fix” the pass rush and we don’t know when he will be back to speed. He clearly isn’t now. There were guys in FA that could have probably (none of us knows for sure on any player) provided more pop in the pass rush as a fail safe against Dupree’s health. Simon is solid, but frankly our defense needs more than solid to contend in the playoffs.

Simon is a decent, experienced guy who played in 32 games for the Pats the last two years. Reminds me of Correa in 2019 and 2020. Good value. If you are in a fantasy we are going to get a stud pass rusher right now you will be disappointed. It is also a long season so stop freaking out if Dupree takes a few games to get back to 100%. The playoffs are a long way off.

Simon is a decent, experienced guy who played in 32 games for the Pats the last two years. Reminds me of Correa in 2019 and 2020. Good value. If you are in a fantasy we are going to get a stud pass rusher right now you will be disappointed. It is also a long season so stop freaking out if Dupree takes a few games to get back to 100%. The playoffs are a long way off.

yup, that and every position needs some solid depth - you can't just have a major,major drop off from your starter to your rotational guy.

Freaking out and being a realist are two different things. It very often takes two years to get back to speed from ACL injuries - see Conklin. A decent player is nice, but with Houston still out there it’s hard to get excited about a guy who has averaged less than 3 sacks per year.

Freaking out and being a realist are two different things. It very often takes two years to get back to speed from ACL injuries - see Conklin. A decent player is nice, but with Houston still out there it’s hard to get excited about a guy who has averaged less than 3 sacks per year.

Except that sacks aren’t the end all be all. I want pressure which forces mistakes, Sacks are a completely overrated stat. Hurrys, pressure, hits etc etc are far more important. Sacks are nice and make the crowd get excited, but they aren’t the end all be all in judging a defense or player.

Of course one of his highlights is returning an INT for a TD against Mariota and the Titans.

Regarding the signing, it's depth and is someone that Vrabel is familiar with. Rushing the QB doesn't really seem to be his forte as he only had 2 sacks and 4 QB hits in 702 defensive snaps in 2020. However, he does play special teams.

Signing was probably only made because of the possibility Dupree will miss some games to start the season and retirement of Jones.

Last edited by a moderator:
Except that sacks aren’t the end all be all. I want pressure which forces mistakes, Sacks are a completely overrated stat. Hurrys, pressure, hits etc etc are far more important. Sacks are nice and make the crowd get excited, but they aren’t the end all be all in judging a defense or player.
No one disagrees, but he is not much on pressures either. A decent player as someone said. However, decent isn’t good enough to hold the fort down while Dupree most likely misses several games.

Simon and Weaver have both looked good in camp. Weaver has a chance to be special. Big, long, strong athletic kid (6'5, 260). More of a 4-3 DE IMO but we will be playing a bunch of four man fronts and he could see some time inside in passing situations.
Simon knows the OLB position and while not great at any one thing is solid cross the board. Can rush or drop in coverage. Perfect pick up IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back