archived

Prospect
LEGEND
Moola
Any articles or discussion? Memories?

Kubrick.jpg

here's a page...
http://www.orizzontikubrickiani.it/Download.html
We can discuss the works of one of the finest directors in the history of cinema in this thread.

Hey titanbuoy, tell us about your favorite Kubrick flick...:brow:
http://www.gotitans.com/goForum/showthread.php?t=15459

which one is it? The Shining?

http://www.gonemovies.com/WWW/TopFilms/Kubrick/RegiseurKubrick.asp

avvie said:
I haven't seen ACO, but I've seen 2001: ASO, Eyes Wide Shut, and The Shining.
And they all sucked.

Clockwork Orange is one of the most demented films of all time
you should also check out Dr. Strangelove
and then ,obviously, there's Full Metal Jacket
all 3 are probably in the Top 50 ever
also Barry Lyndon is one of his least known (and also one of his best)

For some reason I don’t own too many of Kubrick’s films. I have Paths of Glory and Dr. Strangelove. I have however seen them all with the exception of Eyes Wide Shut. There’s no question the guy is an auteur, and whether you dig his thing or not, you can’t deny his place amongst the pantheon of cinema’s finest directors. The thing that stands out when I look at Kubrick’s body of work is how few films he actually made. Initially a studio director he pumped out 7 films from 1951 to 1957, and from 1957 until his death in 1999 he only made 9 more features. If you look at his films, starting with the Killing in 1956 the list is truly impressive:

Eyes Wide Shut (1999)
Full Metal Jacket (1987)
The Shining (1980)
Barry Lyndon (1975)
A Clockwork Orange (1971)
2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964)
Lolita (1962)
Spartacus (1960)
Paths of Glory (1957)
The Killing (1956)

I think from 1956 forward he refused to make a film unless felt a real passion for the project. I’ve always found his films like an out of body experience, visceral, but still somehow detached. I think this allows the viewer to view the events unfolding before them without the burden of empathy; Perhaps allowing for a clearer vision of an overall theme as opposed to a more character driven director (like Spielberg). It’s an odd sensation watching a Kubrick film, much like watching one of Jean-Pierre Melville’s works (like the amazing and highly recommended “Le Samourai”). I’ve never read too much on Kubrick so I’m just spouting my own opinion as a movie junkie here.

As far as a favorite amongst Kubrick's work, I really like all of the films listed above, but by far my favorite Kubrick film is “Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb.” (hehehe… It’s funny how rarely you actually see the whole title printed. It’s quite the mouthful).

Okay, then I have to add a couple: I have seen "Dr. Strangelove" and "Full Metal jacket", both of which I thoroughly enjoyed.

"2001" was difficult to enjoy because so much of it was accompanied with dead silence, and I doubt there was even 2 pages worth of dialogue.

Clockwork Orange is the 70s in a nutshell - that is it is as Gunny stated all F'ed up - lol

2001 is one of the best movies ever. Cryin' shame it was made just before digital effects were common. The SE were freakin awsome for a film of its era. Then there is the ending. I have read the book, a couple of times. Seen the movie numerous times. Even seen the barely watchable sequel 2010. The ending is indecipherable

Dr. Strangelove has one of the gratest lines ever:

Maj. T.J. "King" Kong: "Survival kit contents check. In them you'll find: one .45 caliber automatic; two boxes of ammunition; four days concentrated emergency rations; one drug issue containing: antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills; one miniature combination Russian phrase book and bible; one hundred dollars in rubles; one hundred dollars in gold; nine packs of chewing gum; one issue of prophylactics; three lipsticks; three pair a nylon stockings. Shoot, a fellah could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff."

In summary Kubrick=Good

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back